WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   New computer for Cataclysm (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35239)

litesung 10-03-10 06:38 PM

I think your computer is decent.

Coote 10-03-10 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 207975)
Btw, I don't think one needs a G15 keyboard ... expansive and just for e-peen, imho. :rolleyes:

Depends on what you plan to use it for. I have the original G11, and wish I had more macro keys for it. They come in handy for apps like Photoshop, FLStudio, and even a few games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 207977)
Which cooler should I go with? I've looked at some cheap Cooler Master ones but they're all too noisy according to reviews.

The one I linked, if you can find it, is pretty quiet. It only gets loud if you load the CPU up to 80%+ and start pushing out a lot of heat, and even then, it's only about as loud as the stock heatsink at idle.

Haleth 10-04-10 08:35 AM

Righto!

http://tweakers.net/gallery/378175?i...tab:inventaris

€ 885.

Any finishing touches before I go and free up some budget? :p

sacrife 10-04-10 09:49 AM

I recommend a core i5 or i7 and the BenQ 24" LCD G2420HDB

Petrah 10-04-10 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 208044)
Righto!

http://tweakers.net/gallery/378175?i...tab:inventaris

€ 885.

Any finishing touches before I go and free up some budget? :p

The video card's minimum requirement is a 400w PSU. I would get at the very least a 550w or better PSU.

The PSU that you chose is not a good choice as it only uses 75% of it's labeled wattage. Get an Antec if you want a reliable and stable PSU.

Cralor 10-04-10 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 208048)
The video card's minimum requirement is a 400w PSU. I would get at the very least a 550w or better PSU.

The PSU that you chose is not a good choice as it only uses 75% of it's labeled wattage. Get an Antec if you want a reliable and stable PSU.

Antec, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Silverstone... all great, reliable PSUs :D

(But yes, get at least an 80 Plus power supply, 550-650w, and from the above manufacturers :))

MoonWitch 10-04-10 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 207875)
Hi all.
I live in Belgium if that's of any help.

I live in Belgium too, while I can't recommend specs to you, I suggest you buy the parts from Holland. It will save you at least 30% ;)

Petrah 10-05-10 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cralor (Post 208080)
Antec, Corsair, XFX, Seasonic, Silverstone... all great, reliable PSUs :D

Actually, to be fair it depends on the model (which I shoulda stated earlier when I recommended Antec). I chose mine from the Tier 2 list since most of the PSU's on the Tier 1 list were out of my price range. :p

Cralor 10-05-10 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 208115)
Actually, to be fair it depends on the model (which I shoulda stated earlier when I recommended Antec). I chose mine from the Tier 2 list since most of the PSU's on the Tier 1 list were out of my price range. :p

Yeah, you are actually right. But for the most part, it's hard to go wrong with those :)

N.B.: PSUs go by the "you get what you pay for" method. Don't skimp!

Coote 10-06-10 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cralor (Post 208180)
N.B.: PSUs go by the "you get what you pay for" method. Don't skimp!

QFT

Also, a good measure of quality for PSUs, is the weight. The heavier it is, chances are the better the component quality, and chance that you've got shielded electronics, and heatsinks on everything that can generate large amounts of heat.

Haleth 10-06-10 09:48 AM

Well, I saw this in the comments section on one of the pages linked in the first reply in this topic:

"Hi i just want to say or ask that you info about this ring must be wrong,the reson what im saying it is cause the video card ya using for this ring ( Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCIe DDR5 DVI / HDM) is a 500 watt MINIMUM requirement and you using a 460 watt power supply. So This must be wrong can any one correct me if im wrong? The rerason im correcting this is cause i just bought the same Video Card and in the Requirements say 500 watt minimum. So i was ready to buy a new power supply i want to make sure i have to do it. (i have a 480 power supply)"

"They recommend 500W at minimum because they don't know what else is in your system; for all they know, you're running a raid array, a bunch of TV tuners, CCFLs, etc. As well, cheaper manufacturers are well known for overrating their PSUs by 100W or more. As long as you're using a good quality unit like the recommended Cooler Master, I'd even be quite comfortable going down to 400W with this system; maybe even 380W."

Does that apply here as well?

haylie 10-06-10 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led ++ (Post 207960)
Hehe, I'm from belgium too. ;)

For real? You AND Haleth? Sweet Lord. Yeah, I'm from Belgium too.

Belgians obviously make the best UI designers. We should all meet up and do... designing-y stuff.

Coote 10-06-10 11:11 AM

@Haleth, if you're really worried, just check out a PSU calculator. It should give you a general idea of what kind of power you will be needing.

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Led ++ 10-06-10 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haylie (Post 208254)
For real? You AND Haleth? Sweet Lord. Yeah, I'm from Belgium too.

Belgians obviously make the best UI designers. We should all meet up and do... designing-y stuff.

As long as it includes mass orgie and illegal substances. I'm in!

jasje 10-06-10 11:41 AM

belgians got samson, enuff said..!

haylie 10-06-10 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasje (Post 208266)
belgians got samson, enuff said..!

Who cares about that when we have BEER!

Petrah 10-06-10 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haleth (Post 208242)
Well, I saw this in the comments section on one of the pages linked in the first reply in this topic:

"Hi i just want to say or ask that you info about this ring must be wrong,the reson what im saying it is cause the video card ya using for this ring ( Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCIe DDR5 DVI / HDM) is a 500 watt MINIMUM requirement and you using a 460 watt power supply. So This must be wrong can any one correct me if im wrong? The rerason im correcting this is cause i just bought the same Video Card and in the Requirements say 500 watt minimum. So i was ready to buy a new power supply i want to make sure i have to do it. (i have a 480 power supply)"

"They recommend 500W at minimum because they don't know what else is in your system; for all they know, you're running a raid array, a bunch of TV tuners, CCFLs, etc. As well, cheaper manufacturers are well known for overrating their PSUs by 100W or more. As long as you're using a good quality unit like the recommended Cooler Master, I'd even be quite comfortable going down to 400W with this system; maybe even 380W."

Does that apply here as well?

The truth about power supplies. Also check this article at Tom's Hardware.

While this Tiered Power Supply list may seem old, it's still a great resource in helping you choose a good PSU.

Cralor 10-06-10 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 208273)
The truth about power supplies. Also check this article at Tom's Hardware.

While this Tiered Power Supply list may seem old, it's still a great resource in helping you choose a good PSU.

The tiered list is a great resource. Just to note: it seems fairly up-to-date. It lists the Corsair AX Series, which has just been available a month or two ago. I recommend anything from the Tier 1 and 2 section, if possible.

Petrah 10-06-10 06:04 PM

Ah, very good! I wasn't sure how up to date the list was as I didn't really dig deep enough to check. Thanks Cralor!! ;)

Cralor 10-06-10 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 208308)
Ah, very good! I wasn't sure how up to date the list was as I didn't really dig deep enough to check. Thanks Cralor!! ;)