WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33892)

Sythalin 07-13-10 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xruptor (Post 197305)
Cairenn, there are a whole lot of new addons suddenly being uploaded. I'm hoping that people aren't trying to abuse the system. I don't want to sound mean or rude; but it would be unfair for the people that have been around for quite some time. I was just hoping you noticed the sudden increase of newly uploaded (single) addons, and that your taking that into consideration.

Have faith in the staff. I'm sure addons such as this won't qualify the author for a key.

I know firsthand that there are several uploads that were curse/wowace only (see that shiny green text to the left?). Although it's redundant to do so here as curse is holding the same giveaway now. Honestly, I expect 90% of these "new uploads" will get buried when/if they get a key and/or release rolls around.

Go ahead, you can quote me on it later. ;)

Riokou 07-13-10 01:19 PM

Is anyone else getting "The login server is currently busy" when they try to log in to the actual client? I finished patching it late last night and was getting various "can't log in" errors. There's a thread on the beta forums that might be about the same problem I'm having. I can't post on the beta forums because I don't have any characters to select to post as even though I copied my main over before I started patching (and it was instantly successful). I figured the maintenance would fix everything but I guess not. =/

Sekrin 07-13-10 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riokou (Post 197421)
Is anyone else getting "The login server is currently busy" when they try to log in to the actual client? I finished patching it late last night and was getting various "can't log in" errors. There's a thread on the beta forums that might be about the same problem I'm having. I can't post on the beta forums because I don't have any characters to select to post as even though I copied my main over before I started patching (and it was instantly successful). I figured the maintenance would fix everything but I guess not. =/

Yes, please see this thread where we are discussing it: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=33899

Xruptor 07-13-10 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosInc (Post 197419)
Have faith in the staff. I'm sure addons such as this won't qualify the author for a key.

I know firsthand that there are several uploads that were curse/wowace only (see that shiny green text to the left?). Although it's redundant to do so here as curse is holding the same giveaway now. Honestly, I expect 90% of these "new uploads" will get buried when/if they get a key and/or release rolls around.

Go ahead, you can quote me on it later. ;)

I know Chaos :) I do have faith in the staff. I'm just so disappointed at these attempts to get beta keys. I just hope it doesn't hurt our community as a whole. We have a great bunch of people here. Yes Chaos even yourself ;) I like your blunt direct way of responding to people.

I didn't know that curse was holding the same event. WOW :X

Lanzelot 07-13-10 01:27 PM

In february i made easy mail addon.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...?id=17191#info
Today upload this on site, becouse i want beta key.
I read rules:
Quote:

You must be an addon author with one or more files on the site that are current to 3.3.x (Plugins/Patches, Compilations & "Hello world" or its equivalent do not count).
..and don't find mail addons in this list. So why "Not Eligible for a key"? Or it hello world addon? :eek:
Sry for my english
Just i very very want to prepare my ui to cataclysm =)

hank 07-13-10 01:37 PM

Spend more time checking if some of these "daffy" (haha u get it? no? Oh .. i mean ...Duffed U :/) Compilations deserve a Key instead of uploading < 1kb Addons! : P

Lanzelot 07-13-10 01:40 PM

guy from my forum upload addon in 40 lines and get betakey :confused:

AtliThor 07-13-10 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzelot (Post 197427)
guy from my forum upload addon in 40 lines and get betakey :confused:

It's not the amount of lines that counts, it's how you use them :D

I'd actually be very interested in seeing this 40 line addon. Could you post a link to it?

voodoodad 07-13-10 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xruptor (Post 197423)
I know Chaos :) I do have faith in the staff. I'm just so disappointed at these attempts to get beta keys. I just hope it doesn't hurt our community as a whole. We have a great bunch of people here. Yes Chaos even yourself ;) I like your blunt direct way of responding to people.

No worries there Xruptor; this community is run (and populated) by the best group of people on the web. If we could get through the RealID fiasco without a hitch, this is a piece of cake! Or pie...

Lanzelot 07-13-10 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtliThor (Post 197432)

I'd actually be very interested in seeing this 40 line addon. Could you post a link to it?

no =( He playing in beta now and i can't asking he -)
But as he say he very surprised what he get a key, becouse his addon in 40 lines

voodoodad 07-13-10 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzelot (Post 197436)

Soo.. You don't know the name of the addon, OR the author?

Hmmm...

*Hoping the sense of irony implied by the "hmmm..." is not lost in translation...*

Xruptor 07-13-10 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanzelot (Post 197436)
But as he say he very surprised what he get a key, becouse his addon in 40 lines

If the addon is 40 lines of code and is actually unique and or useful, then I would see why. Otherwise, unless you actually POST a link to this addon or forum post then your just trolling. (using excuses)

Ailae 07-13-10 02:11 PM

Don't really see the point though in going into the comments on addons to accuse the author of this and that. Just let the admins/mods handle it.

unlimit 07-13-10 02:14 PM

I'd generally agree, if not for the fact that some people actually have said the reason for their upload was because of the give-away.

voodoodad 07-13-10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailae (Post 197443)
Don't really see the point though in going into the comments on addons to accuse the author of this and that. Just let the admins/mods handle it.

Well, the author in question has this on his info page;

Quote:

One button - all mails!
Dears admins/moderators. You delete this addons two times and left message:"Uploading work that is not their own", BUT ITS MY ADDON! Yes it very easy and small, and similar in purpose to other addons, but i made this in february! Dont delete this again please!
To me, anyway, this kinda opens it up to some criticism...:rolleyes:

Ailae 07-13-10 02:20 PM

Maybe that particular one had it coming, but it's not the only one being subject to this. But anyway, just my opinion, don't want to go on about it.

Seerah 07-13-10 02:21 PM

/me clears her throat.

*ahem*

You guys know better. :)

Lanzelot 07-13-10 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoodad (Post 197445)
Well, the author in question has this on his info page;

To me, anyway, this kinda opens it up to some criticism...:rolleyes:

I bad understand what you sayd but about
Quote:

Dears admins/moderators. You delete this addons two times and left message:"Uploading work that is not their own", BUT ITS MY ADDON! Yes it very easy and small, and similar in purpose to other addons, but i made this in february! Dont delete this again please!
...how sayd admin on email, moderator deleted this by mistake:o
Quote:

I'm sorry but you uploaded during a time of many people were uploading AddOns that they did not own in hopes for a key. Your AddOn fit that profile.

Icecoldcoke 07-13-10 02:37 PM

Going around to people's newly uploaded addons and accusing them of uploading it solely for the purpose of getting into the Cataclysm beta is not only immature, it discourages them from continuing to use WoWInterface because of how rude the community here is to them.

cloudwolf 07-13-10 02:43 PM

Agreed. I'm not gonna go into their comments to flame them about an addon. However I may be thinking it. Please be civil and have faith in the admins.

AtliThor 07-13-10 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke (Post 197452)
Going around to people's newly uploaded addons and accusing them of uploading it solely for the purpose of getting into the Cataclysm beta is not only immature, it discourages them from continuing to use WoWInterface because of how rude the community here is to them.

I'd have to agree with that. Even if they are posting "Hello, world!" quality addons just to get a key, I don't really see a point in being rude in return. The moderators are more than capable of sorting them out.

On the other hand, perhaps we would just be better without them...

... Holy mother of Zeus. The last patch just finished installing :eek:

* poof * (<-- Me vanishing)

Lanzelot 07-13-10 02:55 PM

Oh. I go sleep

Bleckpan 07-13-10 03:11 PM

I am guessing this is it until tomarrow?
Well, thanks again admins for putting this together for us.:)

Cidrei 07-13-10 03:18 PM

Allow me to jump on board with a big thanks to the WoWInterface crew for netting us all beta keys again this year. It's greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtliThor (Post 197432)

I know it's not the addon in question, but the one I ToC bumped to bring current is a whopping 15 lines. To be fair I do have a number of other addons. That's just the one I just to bring current, since it works exactly how I want it too.

Xruptor 07-13-10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cidrei (Post 197471)
Allow me to jump on board with a big thanks to the WoWInterface crew for netting us all beta keys again this year. It's greatly appreciated.

I know it's not the addon in question, but the one I ToC bumped to bring current is a whopping 15 lines. To be fair I do have a number of other addons. That's just the one I just to bring current, since it works exactly how I want it too.

Actually I like some of your mods :) OMFG and InviteMe are two good ones. Especially for all those people in Wintergrasp always asking for invites lol. The OMFG one made me chuckle as I lost count how many times that's happened to me.

Slakah 07-13-10 03:55 PM

Quote:

Meh it happens every beta, the only thing which slightly frustrates me is when people copy their mods over from WoWAce/Curse never to return leaving incredibly old copies lying about.

Sythalin 07-13-10 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cidrei (Post 197471)
..is a whopping 15 lines...

And a nice bit of 15 lines for that matter. This is an excellent example of something simple, yet incredibly useful.

Xruptor 07-13-10 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosInc (Post 197492)
And a nice bit of 15 lines for that matter. This is an excellent example of something simple, yet incredibly useful.

Exactly! That's pretty much what I thought as well.

hank 07-13-10 04:39 PM

Hm the Addon "Aero" was deleted. Think he didnt do it by himself? Can someone post the original addon pls?
And btw

"I dont deserve it
I know you got my last two letters
I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect!"

(dunno if its correct^^)

Shadowed 07-13-10 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hank (Post 197505)
Hm the Addon "Aero" was deleted. Think he didnt do it by himself? Can someone post the original addon pls?
And btw

"I dont deserve it
I know you got my last two letters
I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect!"

(dunno if its correct^^)

It wasn't done by the submitter, you can find the original at: http://forum.worldofwarcraft.ru/show...91#post3070191 but it's in Russian.

Ali1331 07-13-10 04:44 PM

Shadowed, any idea when the next batch of keys is going out, if at all?

Shadowed 07-13-10 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ali1331 (Post 197507)
Shadowed, any idea when the next batch of keys is going out, if at all?

We're waiting on Blizzard to give us the next batch of keys. Hopefully will have them later today, but no promises.

brotherhobbes 07-13-10 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vranx (Post 197395)
Might have been better to only give keys to existing authors.

I agree with Seerah's reply to this. This is an amazing way to encourage new people to join the wowi community!

Question.

I was trying to encourage a friend of mine who has designed a rather amazing UI to sign up, but she felt she did not deserve it. I totally understand your stance on compilations, but what about complete UI overhauls?

Is basically everything that's uploaded to the "Compilations & Suites" category disallowed and I should stop bothering her? Or should I continue to encourage her?

Cairenn 07-13-10 09:16 PM

It would depend on what you mean by a "complete UI overhaul". If it is all other people's addons that she's put together, it just doesn't count, sorry. If she has written significant code herself, it likely will.

Vranx 07-13-10 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherhobbes (Post 197560)
I agree with Seerah's reply to this. This is an amazing way to encourage new people to join the wowi community!

If that was the goal then I agree.

I think authors that have donated many hours of their time for no reward before this offer are more deserving then someone who put out a mod to get a key.

Sythalin 07-13-10 09:45 PM

Quote:

Yes Chaos even yourself ;) I like your blunt direct way of responding to people.

Ugg, not sure if I should be flattered or sick! ;)

brotherhobbes 07-14-10 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 197562)
It would depend on what you mean by a "complete UI overhaul". If it is all other people's addons that she's put together, it just doesn't count, sorry. If she has written significant code herself, it likely will.

Thanks for the reply!

Ashkir 07-14-10 01:23 AM

Oh darn! Too bad I do not know how to write addons. But I bought that book and it made no sense XD

LaRIC 07-14-10 03:36 AM

I am eagerly waiting for another batch of keys going out :)

Xruptor 07-14-10 07:54 AM

Seems to be a lot of single click red button addons lately >.>

Cairenn 07-14-10 08:02 AM

Dealing with them. They are all judgment calls, which we discuss with each other when we aren't sure. Keep on reporting them though. :)

Xruptor 07-14-10 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 197673)
Dealing with them. They are all judgment calls, which we discuss with each other when we aren't sure. Keep on reporting them though. :)

you Cairenn!

Slakah 07-14-10 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xruptor (Post 197668)
Seems to be a lot of single click red button addons lately >.>

It's funny how they all have exactly the same XML layout, very odd indeed.

voodoodad 07-14-10 09:22 AM

Personally, I am withholding my amazing actionbar/auto-macro/minimap/questlog/uf/everything else I can think of addon, as I feel it would be unfair to overshadow all the existing addon authors.

You should thank me...

no, really..

Cairenn 07-14-10 09:33 AM

Just spoke with Blizzard. They plan on sending us another batch of keys on Friday, so as long as nothing changes, we should be giving out some more keys then.

Icecoldcoke 07-14-10 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 197692)
Just spoke with Blizzard. They plan on sending us another batch of keys on Friday, so as long as nothing changes, we should be giving out some more keys then.

Thanks for the update!

henrik_s 07-14-10 09:50 AM

Hi.

Do you accept compilations containing addons written by the uploader?

Cairenn 07-14-10 09:56 AM

It would depend on the addon.

henrik_s 07-14-10 10:02 AM

Alright, thanks for the speedy reply. Taking my chances then : ]

Petrah 07-14-10 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoodad (Post 197689)
Personally, I am withholding my amazing actionbar/auto-macro/minimap/questlog/uf/everything else I can think of addon, as I feel it would be unfair to overshadow all the existing addon authors.

You should thank me...

no, really..

!

<3 you Voo :p

AtliThor 07-14-10 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slakah (Post 197687)
It's funny how they all have exactly the same XML layout, very odd indeed.

Once you've seen one XML layout... :D

Most of my XML was generated by either the WoW UI Designer or Eclipse, so I suspect it looks an awful lot like XML from a lot of other authors. (Granted, there is a LOT more of it than a single red button.)

... just saying :)

dranik2 07-14-10 12:28 PM

give me a key plz :o

tukz 07-14-10 01:36 PM

Nice to see Cairenn giving beta keys again as in all previous beta. Have fun guys having a key but don't be too happy yet... servers are currently unplayable since yesterday. Lastest patch seem to be unstable.

Well.. see you in the beta!

And great job as always Cairenn.

miros 07-14-10 01:50 PM

/sit
/wait for 256
/tar Cairenn
/grin

Jamash 07-14-10 11:29 PM

I just created a US PvE (Lost Isles) Horde guild named <Lewd On Demand>, send an in-game tell or mail to Stirenjalav to get a guild invite.

Currently, the guild UI is broken, so I can't promote people or do much of anything with ranks or permissions.

smb 07-15-10 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamash (Post 197891)
Currently, the guild UI is broken, so I can't promote people or do much of anything with ranks or permissions.

Try /gpromote then

Cladhaire 07-15-10 07:19 AM

If you are going to upload an addon, please do not waste my time. I do not care how long an addon has existed before you uploaded it, because frankly it doesn't matter. Your addon description should not be a misdirected comment about why you should get a beta key for an addon, and instead should be a description of the addon.

You will not convince me.

Shadowkith 07-15-10 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cladhaire (Post 197968)
If you are going to upload an addon, please do not waste my time. I do not care how long an addon has existed before you uploaded it, because frankly it doesn't matter. Your addon description should not be a misdirected comment about why you should get a beta key for an addon, and instead should be a description of the addon.

You will not convince me.

Some people actually did that? Lol...

Heres a question I have. Looks like in the first batch of keys that went out there were around 200. Do you think we can see that many come tmorrow?

Cairenn 07-15-10 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowkith (Post 198001)
Some people actually did that? Lol...

Heres a question I have. Looks like in the first batch of keys that went out there were around 200. Do you think we can see that many come tmorrow?

You have NO idea .... /growl

Hoping to see that many, yes. :)

Shadowkith 07-15-10 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 198006)
You have NO idea .... /growl

Hoping to see that many, yes. :)

Wow... I mean yesterday my first update to my addon was just a toc update becasue it was still compatible with everything i jsut havent updated it in forever. then i posted 2 new updates on it later in the day fully givin it new data. Im not bad am I :)... lol... Kool so i should see my in tomorrow?