WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   WowInterface.com email database has been compromised (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34456)

swaldman 12-09-09 11:57 AM

WowInterface.com email database has been compromised

Apologies for posting this on a forum - I couldn't find any other way of contacting the people who run wowinterface.

I've just received a fairly standard phishing email, with one notable point - it was sent to an email address that I have only ever used with WoWInterface. This suggests to me that somehow, spammers have gained access to the wowinterface email database.

Please would you investigate?

Email below, with some info anonymised. Note that it was sent as base64-encoded text, which means I can't easily paste the source in here - instead you get what gmail renders, plus the headers.

-----

Code:

Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: by 10.204.118.145 with SMTP id v17cs348724bkq;
        Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:43:34 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.115.38.32 with SMTP id q32mr18748121waj.8.1260377011997;
        Wed, 09 Dec 2009 08:43:31 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: from mail2-162.sinamail.sina.******* (mail2-162.sinamail.sina.******* [60.28.2.162])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id 13si18622189pzk.127.2009.12.09.08.43.30;
        Wed, 09 Dec 2009 08:43:31 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 60.28.2.162 as permitted sender) client-ip=60.28.2.162;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of [email protected] designates 60.28.2.162 as permitted sender) [email protected]
Received: from unknown (HELO login.mail.sina.*******) ([10.29.11.24])
  by mail2-160.sinamail.sina.******* with ESMTP; 10 Dec 2009 00:43:29 +0800
Received: by login.mail.sina.******* (Postfix, from userid 80)
        id 44F5E358C47; Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:43:29 +0800 (CST)
Received: [email protected]([220.249.132.224]) by mail.sina.******* via HTTP;
 Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:43:29 +0800 (CST)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:43:29 +0800
To: [email protected]
Subject: =?GBK?B?QmF0dGxlLm5ldCBBY2NvdW50IKhDIFBhc3N3b3JkIENoYW5nZSBOb3RpY2U=?=
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Priority: 0
X-MessageID: 1260377009.2617.44142
X-OriginaIP: 10.28.11.24
X-Mailer: Sina WebMail 4.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
        boundary="=-sinamail_alt_5fa618964e32e7282284018b85d011ad"
Message-Id: <[email protected].*******>

Hello

This is an automated notification regarding the recent change(s) made to your Battle.net account

Your password has recently been modified through the Account Management website.

*** If you made this password change, please disregard this notification.

However, if you did NOT make any changes to your password, we recommend you contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for assistance keeping your account as secure as possible.

For more information, click here for answers to Frequently Asked Questions or to contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team.

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives typically must lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy

Dolby 12-09-09 12:04 PM

Our database is not accessible from a public ip. Its only on a vlan that our httpd servers can access. Looking at the logs I do not see anything that would suggest a compromise to our data.

Checking some other error logs and will let you know if I find anything.

swaldman 12-09-09 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 168755)
Our database is not accessible from a public ip. Its only on a vlan that our httpd servers can access. Looking at the logs I do not see anything that would suggest a compromise to our data.

Checking some other error logs and will let you know if I find anything.

The only thing which would suggest a compromise is, I'm afraid, something that you have to take my word on. I use unique email addresses when registering with websites, and only use them for those sites. This spam was sent to the one used for wowinterface. There are other means by which it could have been obtained (problem on my machine, problem with gmail, dubious relay somewhere along the line, etc), but all seem less likely, because I have *only* received it to the wowinterface address and not to other unique addresses, and because it is WoW-related.

Thanks for checking, anyway. If you would like the actual (encoded) text of the email with the actual email address, I'll be happy to send it on by email - but not on a forum.

Dolby 12-09-09 12:20 PM

Sure, please send it to [email protected]

Do you use a shared host? It's possible one of their clients was able to get a list of email addresses on the server.

Any large queries I'm emailed about. However I'm still sifting threw the logs.

Seerah 12-09-09 12:57 PM

For future reference (for both you and any others reading this), since Dolby forgot to mention it, there is a link in the footer of the site, on the bottom-right, which says "Contact WoWInterface". :)

swaldman 12-09-09 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 168759)
Sure, please send it to [email protected]

Done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 168759)
Do you use a shared host? It's possible one of their clients was able to get a list of email addresses on the server.

It's my own domain, run via google apps (so gmail), on which I'm the only user.

I'm no expert, so it's entirely possible that something else is up - but I thought I'd alert you to the possiblity. Sorry if it's a wild goose chase :-)

Bluspacecow 12-10-09 11:01 AM

Is it possible that email was public before you turned off displaying it in your public profile for wowinterface ?

swaldman 12-10-09 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 169048)
Is it possible that email was public before you turned off displaying it in your public profile for wowinterface ?

Hmm. Maybe. I forgot I even had a public profile... most likely I would have created the account and then immediately turned off display of the email address, but if the default is to show it then it would have been visible for a few minutes!

BWarner 12-10-09 04:35 PM

By "shared host", I think Dolby meant cloud hosting, or rather, running multiple people off the same server. Typically, if you get cheap hosting and don't much care about anything server-side, then that's what you're on. However, since you're using GMail for your email service, Google is remotely handling the email, not your server, so your server wouldn't have that data (except potentially the ones you registered the domain and/or hosting with, and maybe one or two default ones).

Ihadurca 12-19-09 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaldman (Post 168756)
I use unique email addresses when registering with websites, and only use them for those sites. This spam was sent to the one used for wowinterface.

That is a lot of email addresses then. O.o And I thought I was bad w/ my multiple emails for categories, you got me beat w/ emails for each website. ^_^

Also keep in mind, they don't have to "find" your email address somewhere to send it to you. They have automated scripts that randomly put letters and numbers together to make email addresses and send them out. For example. A few months ago I created a new email address. Not yet sure what I wanted to do with it yet, so I just haven't done anything with it yet. I have never registered it with anyone for anything.... and my spam box was flooded with in a week. LOL Crazy.

But that is a big coincidence w/ your email.

Zyonin 12-19-09 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihadurca (Post 170885)
That is a lot of email addresses then. O.o And I thought I was bad w/ my multiple emails for categories, you got me beat w/ emails for each website. ^_^

Also keep in mind, they don't have to "find" your email address somewhere to send it to you. They have automated scripts that randomly put letters and numbers together to make email addresses and send them out. For example. A few months ago I created a new email address. Not yet sure what I wanted to do with it yet, so I just haven't done anything with it yet. I have never registered it with anyone for anything.... and my spam box was flooded with in a week. LOL Crazy.

But that is a big coincidence w/ your email.

Much like when I get WoW phishing spam on a couple of email addresses that I have NEVER used for any WoW site and one email site was never used to sign up for anything. The old brute force approach. Of course I had a couple of chuckles just before pressing the "Delete" button.

numein 12-20-09 03:10 PM

I created a gmail account for my dad some time ago. He almost never uses it, and even if he does it's only for mailing with some friends/colleges.
So the mail was never public. And the name is fairly long and not generic, so it's not likely to "guess"...

Still, from day 1 i think, the mail is full of spam, and I mean really full (at least 10 spam/day, gets even to 100/day...

In short: a gmail account can get spam w/o ever being public...

Petrah 12-20-09 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numein (Post 171096)
In short: a gmail account can get spam w/o ever being public...

They all can. Be it free web mail, ISP mail, or private domain created mail.

numein 12-20-09 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 171100)
They all can. Be it free web mail, ISP mail, or private domain created mail.

Ye sure, i just sad gmail cause it was mentioned in the opening post...

elfchief 12-29-09 07:49 PM

So...

I'd like to report that I have the same thing happening with me.

I have an email address that's unique to wowinterface... my email system routes anything in the name of myaddress-anyrandomtext directly to me, and I tag my sites that way... so my address here is [email protected]in

A week(ish) ago I got a phishing mail asking for WoW information.

I run my own mail server, nobody shares it but the people that live with me (who don't have administrator access), this email address has never been posted, used to send mail, or otherwise exposed to the real world, other than being used as the account email for wowinterface.

One roommate (who doesn't use the per-site unique addresses) got the same thing to the email address they have registered with wowinterface (though they use it on several sites, so that's not authoritative proof).

I seriously doubt that someone just randomly thought to append -wowinterface to an otherwise working address to get through to me. I think the likelyhood of doing it twice with two different people's addresses is pretty damned unlikely. And my roommate never had an attempt at using a -wowinterface form of their address, just their normal address, so somehow the pharmer knew who was using tagged addresses and who wasn't? Seems incredibly unlikely.

Unless my email address is public. I just looked through all of the account options I could find, though, and couldn't find anything about making one's email address visible (or not).

So, I tend to agree, something might be going on here.

And no, unless you use a common name as an email address (e.g. "john@wherever"), a private domain can't get spam if the email address is never used anywhere. Especially not something like mine, where the -wowinterface (or whatever) part doesn't even exist.

-j

Nafe 12-29-09 11:50 PM

I would like to report a similar email that I just received a few minutes ago.

As with a few people above, I know that this was sent directly to the email address I used ONLY for Wowinterface (because I use a unique email for each website...). This is a bit too coincidental to assume it's by chance.

Judging by how log checks showed no success, perhaps there is an exploit used to query the MySQL database (I'm assuming MySQL, for the sake of simplicity) of Wowinterface for a user's email address. Perhaps it's worthwhile to review the PHP code to see if such a leak exists?

Quote:

When we carry out a routine check when the account, we have evidence to show that your account has been involved in the disputed transactions.
So we have to inform you visit our website(http://www.worldofwarcraft.com) fill out some information to facilitate our investigation.
If you can not tie in with our soon we will have to temporarily lock your account.

Sincerely,
Blizzard, Inc.
Copyright @ 2009 Blizzard, Inc. All rights reserved.
Please note that the link (withheld so no poor soul clicks on it) really points to a different website, www.worldofwarcraft______.com where ______ is withheld ;).

Quote:

Received: FROM blu0-omc2-s29.blu0.hotmail.com (blu0-omc2-s29.blu0.hotmail.com [65.55.111.104])
By ____________ ID 4B3AE3FB.60720.11556 ;
30 Dec 2009 00:24:11 EST
Received: from BLU0-SMTP18 ([65.55.111.71]) by blu0-omc2-s29.blu0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:24:09 -0800
X-Originating-IP: [60.19.232.196]
X-Originating-Email: [[email protected]]
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Received: from tszmkl ([60.19.232.196]) by BLU0-SMTP18.blu0.hotmail.com over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:24:07 -0800
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: World of Warcraft Account Trade Dispute Notice
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:24:20 +0800
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 30 Dec 2009 05:24:08.0226 (UTC) FILETIME=[4FA64820:01CA8910]
I'm forwarding the email to Dolby.

Dolby 12-30-09 12:18 AM

The log's are scanned for injection attacks and any malformed url's are listed nightly in my logwatch. I of course mysql_real_escape_string() everything that is remotely entered.

Also nafe you do not have a "@nafe.com" email address in our database.

Since you are long time members its possible when we were compromised a few years ago (we posted news about it when it happened) that they got away with some email addresses. That was on our old server and I do not have the logs for that.

Ughmahedhurtz 12-30-09 04:17 PM

"Me too" post...

I'll chime in and mention I just got the same phishing email to my wowinterface.com@<mydomain>.net which, like the OP, I setup for use only with this site. I'm not sure if I was a member during the "old server" compromise mentioned above but it would be worth comparing my registered date to that to see if that holds water. The content of the two spam mails I got is identical to the above. The header info is slightly different as you might expect from forged senders/relays.

Polarina 12-30-09 05:14 PM

I use my e-mail address everywhere and for many years, never received a single spam message similar to those explained by above users. I'll let know if that changes.

MoonWitch 12-30-09 09:44 PM

I've not received such mail (just to - you know break cycles).

Has anyone at any point considered spam sent at random?

I worked for an ISP and now for an anti-viruscompany and I also have my own hosting, which includes mail, you wouldn't believe the amount of spam we get (we actually almost disable our spamfilters so clients can get through with ludicrous mails).

For those with own mailservers/hosting : do you have a catch-all address? Any mail sent to a non-existing addresses will then be sent to the main account.

Since the spam is directed at wow-account farming, they just try random stuff with names of well known wow-oriented sites.

swaldman 12-31-09 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 172466)

Since you are long time members its possible when we were compromised a few years ago (we posted news about it when it happened) that they got away with some email addresses. That was on our old server and I do not have the logs for that.

Ah, this seems quite plausible.

For me at least it's not a problem - I've only had one message, it's hardly a flood - I just raised it in case it indicated a problem. If it's a remenant of a problem of years ago, no need to worry about it!

frenchie 01-15-10 07:12 PM

I've also just received a phishing email to an address that I use exclusively for wowinterface. It wasn't sent to a catchall, but to the specific address and it's not something that would be easily guessable. (I can forward the email on request if you need it Dolby).

I've been a member here since May 2008 and my email address has never been public.

I'm not worried that that particular email address has found it's way onto a phishing list - it's easily changed - however as someone who's worked in the computer industry for some 25 years with plenty of server admin experience, I'd say that there had almost certainly been some sort of leak of data from this site, given the other reports already in this thread.

I'd also suggest that it probably happened fairly recently as I can't see someone hacking the site and then sitting on the email addresses for a year or two before trying to use them.

This is not about blame, but if there is a possibility of a leak from here then it might be worth warning the entire membership as the email is one of the better phishing attempts I've seen and could catch out the unwary.

The particular phising site in the email I received was www . wor1dofwercraft . com (spaced out so it's not clickable from here, registered by some bod in China), I have reported the site to the apparent hosters vpls.net

Frigidman 01-15-10 09:03 PM

Just adding a "Me too" as well. Same deal, I create new aliases for various things I sign up with, and the email I use here is unique to this site. I got a phishing email just like the ones noted before. Came with a return address of some guy from hotmail.com.

I sent the mess over to blizzard for them to have fun with.

I am going to be changing my alias I have for this website. If I get another email to the new alias, then you guys are compromised again.

Gemini_II 01-16-10 01:44 AM

Hey Dolby and all,

In the past couple weeks I've received two well-crafted phishing scams in my Gmail spam box. I don't have the emails anymore since I reported them to Gmail and deleted them but they were as described above. Thought I would mention I got something. I use my address for multiple sites, and been a long-time member though, so who knows.
Hope everything works out.

Sepioth 01-16-10 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing to do with compromise but thought I would chime in and say I have received 2 emails in the same day phishing for account info.

They both looked legit as they are exact copies of the one I recieved when I was actually hacked a while back.

Quote:

Greetings!
This is an automated notification regarding the recent change(s) made to your World of Warcraft account.
Your password has recently been modified through the Password Recovery website.

*** If you made this password change, please disregard this notification.
However, if you did NOT make changes to your password, we recommend you Login verify your password:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com
If you are unable to successfully verify your password using the automated system, please contact Billing & Account Services at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm Pacific Time or at [email protected].

Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives typically must lock the account.
In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The World of Warcraft Support Team
Blizzard Entertainment
Both where the same just spaced out differently.

The links for http://www.worldofwarcraft.com though did not go to where they looked like they would go.

One went to http : // worldofwarcraft - blizzard - service . com/ (spaced out to prevent clicking)
the other http : // www .worldofwarcioft . com/ (notice the clever mispelling of warcraft) (spaced out to prevent clicking)

Both have been reported as phishing sites as Firefox warns of this as well as Safari on my iPhone. Now Comcast is auto directing me to their own search page for the first website.

The first thing I did when I saw these was log into my account. I then reported them to Blizzard.

A word of advice to anyone. NEVER click a link in an email like this until you verify it. I use Thunderbird and mousing over the links shows their correct path in the bottom left of the window.

Here is a pick of the first site when you visit it.

Phanx 01-17-10 02:55 AM

Blizzard has been warning users not to click on links in emails that ask for personal information (such as your username or password) for years, as have thousands of other companies, security experts, and individuals. Sadly, too many people ignore all of their warnings, and then are surprised when confronted by evidence of the very real problem, or devastated when their WoW (or any other) account is stolen.

My aunt is a perfect example of this. She doesn't run anti-virus or anti-malware software. She doesn't run a firewall. She clicks on every banner ad and popup she sese. She downloads anything she's offered. She clicks on any link that promises free stuff. She enter her personal information on any site that claims to be running a drawing for free stuff. She buys and installs anything they sees adverstied on TV or at a store. She never updates anything that doesn't silently update itself in the background. After the first time and realizing the scope of the problem, I started charging her by the hour to clean up her computer every few months. After I moved to a different state, I wasn't in the least bit surprised to hear that she'd been the victim of identity theft. If she played WoW, she'd have had her account information keylogged and sent to 25 different parties simultaneously. :o

That said, you should always forward those emails to Blizzard's hacks and piracy team at [email protected]. I generally report them to PhishTank.com as well, which maintains an open database of known phishing sites that's used by a number of browsers.

You should also be very suspicious of any email from any source that asks you to log into your account, but doesn't address you by name.

Finally, if you're going to log into a secure site, you should always type the URL yourself, or access it from a trusted bookmark, rather than clicking on a link in an email or on a website, even if you think the email/website is legit.

Also, as to the original issue, I have several email addresses set up on my personal domain that I've never used on any website, and they still get spam, so I don't think it's a failing on WoWI's part.

swaldman 01-17-10 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 174913)
Also, as to the original issue, I have several email addresses set up on my personal domain that I've never used on any website, and they still get spam, so I don't think it's a failing on WoWI's part.

But what I, and a number of other people, have explained, is that the email addresses that we refer to have only ever got spam to do with WoW, while our other email addresses don't get spam to do with WoW. This would be... something of a coincidence, if the addresses had not been obtained from somewhere. Having said this, I've still only had the one message (at least, one that has made it past gmail's filtering).

Phanx 01-17-10 03:04 PM

If your email address contains the letters "wow" in consecutive order, as is the case if it contains the term "wowinterface," then it's not even remotely surprising that it gets WoW-related spam.

swaldman 01-17-10 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 174977)
If your email address contains the letters "wow" in consecutive order, as is the case if it contains the term "wowinterface," then it's not even remotely surprising that it gets WoW-related spam.

Fair point :-)

TNCohiba 01-18-10 12:52 PM

I'd like to ditto, same as others, I use a unique email for websites and the wowinterface one has started getting the phishing ones. I've been a longtime member so it could easily have been before, it doesn't bother me personally. A lot of the email addresses go bad after a while, just wnated to make sure that you don't blame the messengers.

Peace.

Puck 01-19-10 09:24 PM

Well, I thought it was my ex's new little internet boyfriend trying to steal my account, but I'm getting the exact same thing, 2-3 times a day now, as the rest. I do use 1 email address for most things, and have an authenticator, so I'm not worried (as much, there have been *rumors* that authenticators can still be hacked and someone even showed *proof* it could be/has been done). One thing that is fun to do, log onto those sites from a secure source (smart phone, Linux box, etc) and type in the replyto email address then some nice swear words, or use the presidents email address (president @ whitehouse . gov) and see what the secret service decides to do about the spam email HE gets!! :cool: Obviously you don't want to put your own info in there, but it's fun to put fake email addresses in there or just lots and lots of swear words. Due to possible virus', Trojans and the like, I wouldn't use a computer you were concerned about being infected. (Hence the Linux, MacOS, Smart Phone idea)

I've reported mine to [email protected] as well as reporting them as phishing to gmail. (notice most of us use gmail that are replying to this!?) It should also be noted, there's nothing anywhere related to "wow" "games" or anything else that shows it's for WoW or anything WoW related. (Some people said they have xxxx-wowinterface at whatever dot com, showing it's a wow-related email address). Ok, I'll shut up now.

nightcracker 01-20-10 04:50 AM

The sad part is, it's not that hard to recreate the page of the world of warcraft login(every html and css file on the internet is open-source and nothing you can do about it), just changing the direction where the info should go. Then you create a PHP script(or any other language) who receives the information and puts it in a database. Just like the form does I'm typing this message in.

In fact, it aint even hard to get a page "secure", just go to a company distributing those "secure" signatures while having a normal page on your site, after you got the certificate you change the website and voilá, you got yourself a "secure" https page.

The lesson we learn from this:
Always look at the URL before typing in sensitive information. If the page is "secure", that only means OTHER people but the webserver can't see what you communicate with the server. If the webserver you're connecting with ain't OK, then you still aren't secure.

Mincetee 01-20-10 05:41 AM

To my knowledge my email isn't public - I've had a look in options but can't find anything that seems to be there for showing/hiding email address.

I also use an email address specific to WoWInterface and have received 18 phishing emails, all from January this year.

If my email address is visible to anyone, how do you change it in vBulletin? I just couldn't see an option about it anywhere...

Phanx 01-21-10 06:05 AM

There isn't an option; WoWI just doesn't show your email address. There may have been an option in the past (and many other forums still do have that option) but it isn't there now.

Cralor 01-21-10 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One way to also help: www.mywot.com (Web of Trust).

Puts a mark next to links if they are Green (safe), Yellow (warning), Red (stay clear).

Here's an example: (the link is written as www.worldofwarcraft.com, but if you click it, it sends you to www.worldofwarcraft-*******.com)

Shurnjo 01-22-10 08:17 AM

same with me, today i've got this phishing mail to [email protected] - i have only used it to register to this site because i wanted to see a forum post for which a valid username was required.

i have never changed my settings and i only logged in once (after registration).. today it's my 2nd time.

mail header:
Code:

Return-Path: <MAILER-DAEMON@doca>
Received: from murder ([unix socket])
        by doca (Cyrus v2.2.13-Debian-2.2.13-10+etch4) with LMTPA;
        Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:16:27 +0100
X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1])
        by doca.xxxx.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 0313923B3E7
        for <[email protected]>; Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:16:27 +0100 (CET)
X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavisd-new at doca.xxxx.com
X-Spam-Score: 0.102
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=0.102 tagged_above=-5 required=3.31
        tests=[BAYES_50=0.001, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RDNS_NONE=0.1]
Received: from doca.xxxx.com ([127.0.0.1])
        by localhost (doca.xxxx.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
        with ESMTP id HszeL2kCU2zd for <[email protected]>;
        Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:16:26 +0100 (CET)
Received: from blizzard.com (unknown [58.22.162.19])
        by doca.xxxx.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id D950123A496
        for <[email protected]>; Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:15:56 +0100 (CET)
Received: from WorldClient by blizzard.com (MDaemon PRO v10.1.1)
        with ESMTP id pd50000000005.msg
        for <[email protected]>; Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:43:51 +0800
X-Spam-Processed: blizzard.com, Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:43:51 +0800
        (not processed: spam filter already applied to initial list submission)
X-Authenticated-Sender: [email protected]
X-Envelope-From: [email protected]
X-MDaemon-Deliver-To: [email protected]
X-MDMailing-List: [email protected]
Precedence: bulk
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:34:30 +0800
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Battle.net Account - Password Change Notice
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0122_1034_30_PART-BREAK"
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
X-Mailer: WorldClient 10.1.2

modrogon 01-23-10 03:53 PM

Also got one for the very first time on 1/22. Have a a custom email ****[email protected]. This email address is only used here and never get spammed until now.

dorbak 01-25-10 11:19 AM

I've been getting a slew of emails to my wowinterface specific address. I just happened to be looking at my spam folder for some yuks when I noticed the "Account Warnings" every other day since 12/30/09.

As others have mentioned, I have an email set aside specifically to this site, so I find it strange that my non-WI emails have not been getting phished.

Good luck finding it!

Cheers

Cosmic Cleric 02-05-10 01:47 PM

I also received phish email via my wowinterface.com email address

I as well have received a phishing email to my wowinterface_com@MYDOMAINNAME email address, which is not known by anybody else except for this web site.

Here's the link in Blizzard's Customer Service forum where I report the problem to Blizzard...

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...504016&sid=1#0

And in case the link no longer works, what I posted there...
Quote:

Hello. A phishing email was sent to my wowinterface.com email address. I tried mailing this to [email protected], but Verizon thinks I'm trying to send out spam and won't let me email it to you.

So here you go, the text message first, then its source. For the source, I've hidden my domain name portion of the email address by changing the domain name with "-DOMAINNAMEHIDDENBYME-" ...

Quote:

Greetings

An investigation of your World of Warcraft account has found strong evidence that the account in question is being sold or traded. As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with Blizzard's EULA under section 4 Paragraph B which can be found here:
WoW -> Legal -> End User License Agreement
and Section 8 of the Terms of Use found here:
WoW -> Legal -> Terms of Use

The investigation will be continued by Blizzard administration to determine the action to be taken against your account. If your account is found violating the EULA and Terms of Use, your account can, and will be suspended/closed/or terminated.
In order to keep this from occurring, you should immediately verify that you are the original owner of the account.

To verify your identity please visit the following webpage:
[link removed]

Only Account Administration will be able to assist with account retrieval issues. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Sincerely,

Account Administration
Blizzard Entertainment
Quote:

From - Fri Feb 05 10:28:51 2010
X-Account-Key: account1
X-UIDL: 3587-1242743809
X-Mozilla-Status: 1001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-path: <[email protected]>
Received: from smtp.easydns.com ([unknown] [64.68.200.52])
by vms172051.mailsrvcs.net
(Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 7u2-7.02 32bit (built Apr 16 2009))
with ESMTP id <[email protected]> for
-DOMAINNAMEHIDDENBYME-; Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:43:20 -0600 (CST)
Received: from blu0-omc3-s16.blu0.hotmail.com
(blu0-omc3-s16.blu0.hotmail.com [65.55.116.91]) by smtp.easydns.com (Postfix)
with ESMTP id 79AE99740D for <wowinterface_com@-DOMAINNAMEHIDDENBYME->; Thu,
04 Feb 2010 18:43:19 -0500 (EST)
Received: from BLU0-SMTP79 ([65.55.116.73]) by blu0-omc3-s16.blu0.hotmail.com
with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959); Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:38:18 -0800
Received: from ysikawxzf ([209.139.208.224]) by BLU0-SMTP79.blu0.hotmail.com
over TLS secured channel with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959); Thu,
04 Feb 2010 15:38:17 -0800
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 07:41:22 +0800
Subject: World of Warcraft Account Management
X-Originating-IP: [64.68.200.52]
X-Originating-IP: [209.139.208.224]
To: <wowinterface_com@-DOMAINNAMEHIDDENBYME->
Message-id: <[email protected]>
MIME-version: 1.0
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
Content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-transfer-encoding: base64
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-priority: Normal
Received-SPF: pass (forward2: domain of [email protected] designates
65.55.116.91 as permitted sender)
X-Greylist: Passed host: 65.55.116.91
X-Originating-Email: [[email protected]]
Original-recipient: rfc822;wowinterface_com@-DOMAINNAMEHIDDENBYME-
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 04 Feb 2010 23:38:17.0401 (UTC)
FILETIME=[207A6A90:01CAA5F3]
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Cosmic Cleric 02-07-10 01:11 PM

Any new news about this issue?

Any new news about this issue?

MidgetMage55 02-07-10 02:36 PM

This might be what your looking for.

Cosmic Cleric 02-07-10 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 (Post 177690)

No, I read that, but that doesn't address the problem if there was a breach in security on their web site or not.

I get they wouldn't want to necessarily admit it, but I need to know if my email address was compromised because their database was, or something else.

Considering that many have posted this problem, I'm thinking they were compromised. I'd just like to hear some 'official update' on the subject.

Cairenn 02-07-10 03:28 PM

Yes it does. And yes there was. Ages ago. And we posted about it. So how is that not admitting it?

Dolby 02-07-10 03:49 PM

Yes Cosmic Cleric, it does look like they did get a dump of our database back when we were hacked a few years ago and they are using it to send out phishing emails. At the time I only thought our filevault was compromised but it looks like they took our database as well.

I have since gone over every query to make sure there is no injection vulnerabilities. We have also moved to new servers since then with much better security.

I should have posted to make that more clear and I'm very sorry this happened.

Shirik 02-07-10 04:18 PM

Furthermore, please do not post malicious links, with spaces or without. There's neither anything difficult nor confusing about putting a "[link removed]" message in a post.

Cosmic Cleric 02-07-10 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 177700)
Yes Cosmic Cleric, it does look like they did get a dump of our database back when we were hacked a few years ago and they are using it to send out phishing emails. At the time I only thought our filevault was compromised but it looks like they took our database as well.

I have since gone over every query to make sure there is no injection vulnerabilities. We have also moved to new servers since then with much better security.

I should have posted to make that more clear and I'm very sorry this happened.

Thank you for the reply.

The only lingering thought i have though is that you speak about 'a few years ago' but the attack just happened a few days ago? From what I understand, usually information is used right away, before it becomes outdated. /shrug

Cosmic Cleric 02-07-10 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirik (Post 177702)
Furthermore, please do not post malicious links, with spaces or without. There's neither anything difficult nor confusing about putting a "[link removed]" message in a post.

Apologies, but I didn't know if the information was needed or not in diagnosing where the hackers were coming from.
I felt it was better to supply as much information as possible to you guys, in hopes you'd be able to determine what was going on.

Since the link was non-usable, I don't think there's any issue with it being posted (malformed with spaces so its not a valid URL of course).

If someone goes to the trouble of copy/pasting the web link, removing the spaces, then going to that web site, then maybe they deserve what they get. /shrug

EDIT: By the way, while you're so fast to chastise me for the link and to go back and edit my post, you may want to check the OTHER posts made in this same topic for the same kind of links (with spaces added) that you object to me having done.

Cosmic Cleric 02-07-10 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 177697)
Yes it does. And yes there was. Ages ago. And we posted about it. So how is that not admitting it?

To be honest, the 'feel' I'm getting about this is that this is a recent break-in, and that you all are trying to pretend its actually from a long time ago.

I honestly don't know if I'm right or wrong about it, but the perceived hostilty level I'm seeing from the admins seems excessive based on the concern of the posts being made by your users.

Do you all honestly think that this RECENT sending of emails is from a data theft from YEARS AGO?

Really?

Dolby 02-07-10 10:39 PM

So far every one that has posted has had an older account. I haven't received a report from any one with a newer account report that they have received a phishing email from a wowinterface only email address. I know its a bit strange and it has me un-easy as well and I'm monitoring queries extremely close right now.

I don't see anything in our logs or logwatch that would suggest a break in since then either. I have even recently gone over our mysql queries that take external data and make sure they are all protected from injection attacks. I also have plans to switch to mysqli so that injection attacks aren't possible.

Again I'm very sorry this happened to every one. I appreciate every one posting about they received one and in no way am I or other staff trying to cover it up. I'm sorry if you feel jumped on Cosmic Cleric however shirik just didn't want google/yahoo/bing bots to index that site by crawling our threads.

If we do find anything in the future we will let every one know.

Cosmic Cleric 02-08-10 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 177745)
So far every one that has posted has had an older account. I haven't received a report from any one with a newer account report that they have received a phishing email from a wowinterface only email address. I know its a bit strange and it has me un-easy as well and I'm monitoring queries extremely close right now.

I don't see anything in our logs or logwatch that would suggest a break in since then either. I have even recently gone over our mysql queries that take external data and make sure they are all protected from injection attacks. I also have plans to switch to mysqli so that injection attacks aren't possible.

Again I'm very sorry this happened to every one. I appreciate every one posting about they received one and in no way am I or other staff trying to cover it up. I'm sorry if you feel jumped on Cosmic Cleric however shirik just didn't want google/yahoo/bing bots to index that site by crawling our threads.

If we do find anything in the future we will let every one know.

Thank you for the additional information and apology, they are appreciated. :)

Zyonin 02-08-10 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Cleric (Post 177742)
To be honest, the 'feel' I'm getting about this is that this is a recent break-in, and that you all are trying to pretend its actually from a long time ago.

I honestly don't know if I'm right or wrong about it, but the perceived hostilty level I'm seeing from the admins seems excessive based on the concern of the posts being made by your users.

Do you all honestly think that this RECENT sending of emails is from a data theft from YEARS AGO?

Really?

I think that the answer to your question is yes as I have been getting a spike of phishing emails at the account I used to register with originally. However I am getting zero phishing spam at the address that I am currently using as my WoWI registered address which I have been using for the last year or so. The email address I am getting the phishing spam is the one that I used when the file vault was broken into a couple of years ago.

Many times, crackers who swipe details like email addresses don't act on the data right away. In many instances they will wait until everyone has forgotten about the theft. In many cases, the thieves will sell the harvested addresses. This is likely the case here, the thieves have sold the addresses to numerous parties or have stashed the db in some forum/community were phishers hang out.

Fortunately in my case, Yahoo is real good at filtering all this crap into the spam box. In addition, I don't use that address for day to day email anymore.

SkunkWerks 04-22-10 05:17 AM

I'll add my own anecdote to this thread. As with others, I am using a unique email address (this one from Sneakemail) that I only gave to WoWI, and no one else. Also, as with others here, I can see no other possible means by which they extracted my e-mail except for through WoWI.

The idea of a random assemblage of letters and numbers (brute force) is possible, I suppose, but hardly seems likely, since that's exactly how Sneakemail generates redirect addresses, that and it seems an awful lot of trouble to go through just to send me an e-mail with a phishing link and baiting me by telling me an Aion account I have never had in the past or present is compromised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 172466)

I have been here a while, and this sounds like a possibility, though as others have, I'd have to question: "Why now and not when they made off with the addresses?" I've never before had this sort of issue with WoWI, and that I'm just now having it seems significant enough to mention. It also seems significant that two months after the last post made in this thread is past, this issue is still cropping up.

On my end it's a simple matter of changing the redirect address I have linking me to WoWI. But if something is compromised somehow at your end, well, I suppose the bottom line is that all this information is far more valuable to you than to me.

In the meantime, I suppose the ultimate test would be simply to change the address and keep an eye on what happens. If water still somehow makes it out the bottom of the bucket after that, it seems fair to assume there's a hole in it.

Zyonin 04-23-10 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkWerks (Post 185523)
I have been here a while, and this sounds like a possibility, though as others have, I'd have to question: "Why now and not when they made off with the addresses?" I've never before had this sort of issue with WoWI, and that I'm just now having it seems significant enough to mention. It also seems significant that two months after the last post made in this thread is past, this issue is still cropping up.

See my previous post in this thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyonin (Post 177774)
Many times, crackers who swipe details like email addresses don't act on the data right away. In many instances they will wait until everyone has forgotten about the theft. In many cases, the thieves will sell the harvested addresses. This is likely the case here, the thieves have sold the addresses to numerous parties or have stashed the db in some forum/community were phishers hang out.

Likely the folks that did the original break-in a couple of years are NOT the ones spamming everyone's email account.

Data thieves will usually hold onto and wait to use data like email addresses, WoW Account info, Social Security numbers and other such data. It's not "perishable" like Authenticator keys, credit card numbers and bank account data; thus the thieves can afford to wait months before using or selling the data. This also adds a "fog of time" effect that causes confusion for victims as in most cases they will not be able to remember when and where the theft occurred.

This issue will keep cropping until the email addresses that were stolen are either closed, relegated to spam "honeypots" (like my old email account that was used to register here) or otherwise ignored. Change your account email address and keep an eye on the email that comes in.

ScreamingPict 04-28-10 08:44 AM

In case it helps- I also got a phishing mail to an account that was only registered on this site (I have a wildcarded set of e-mail addresses so it wasn't just an address that they had guessed)- hopefully this combined with my first registered account date will give you more indication that this is just the old hack on the previous server.

SkunkWerks 07-25-10 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkWerks (Post 185523)
In the meantime, I suppose the ultimate test would be simply to change the address and keep an eye on what happens. If water still somehow makes it out the bottom of the bucket after that, it seems fair to assume there's a hole in it.

There's a hole in the bucket
Dear Liza, Dear Liza
There's a hole in the bucket
Dear Liza
A hole.

By which I mean to say, I've since the above event changed to another unique e-mail address, and once again, I find myself getting scam e-mails trhough the address given uniquely to WoWI and only WoWI.

This time it was a beta test scam. You know when your e-mail reader tells you that you need to install a chinese language pack to read all the e-mail's content correctly, that's not a good sign from the get-go.

Quote:

getting
'Greetings'?

Quote:

Get those opt-ins ready for the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm closed beta! The sundering of Azeroth is nigh, and you don’t want to be left out in the cold of Northrend when you could be enjoying the sun-drenched beaches on the goblin isle of Kezan. To ensure you’re opted-in and eligible as a potential candidate, you’ll need a World of Warcraft license attached to your Battle.net account, have your current system specifications uploaded to the Battle.net Beta Profile Settings page, and have expressed interest through the franchise-specific check boxes.

Get the Installer - Log in to your Battle.net account: [LINK REMOVED]

** IMPORTANT ** To avoid graphical bugs and other technical issues, please ensure your video card drivers are up-to-date.

Enjoy the game!

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.
So, I'm once again forced to wonder if there is not a more recent or ongoing breach of your servers.

Dolby 07-25-10 05:52 PM

When did you last change your email address?

I'm sorry this happened to you again.

Just yesterday I had found a potential hole into our database where when you updated an AddOn the cached username could allow an injection based upon the users name. So far it looks like that was the only field that wasnt wrapped with mysql_real_escape_string() due to the fact it was getting the name from vbulletin and I wasnt thinking. I'm investigating the logs to see if anything was taken advantage of there.

We are upgrading to new servers soon (already upgraded our addon file server). I will again audit my mySQL queries and change all passwords (As I do with all moves).

SkunkWerks 07-25-10 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 200073)

The date of my second to last post in this thread (the one I quoted in my latest post) is a pretty reliable date for that- so I'd say around about 04-22-2010.

I'll probably change it again not long from now, but I figured I'd see about what was happening here first.

Dolby 07-25-10 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkWerks (Post 200077)
The date of my second to last post in this thread (the one I quoted in my latest post) is a pretty reliable date for that- so I'd say around about 04-22-2010.

Ok if it isn't too much trouble and when you have the time please change your email address again. I have a few test accounts too but have received zilch from them at the moment.

I'm going to have a 2nd set of eyes look over my queries too.

SkunkWerks 07-26-10 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 200078)
Ok if it isn't too much trouble and when you have the time please change your email address again.

Done as of yesterday (7/25). Thanks for your diligence.

Rilgamon 07-26-10 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 200073)

I'm sorry this happened to you again.

Just yesterday I had found a potential hole into our database where when you updated an AddOn the cached username could allow an injection based upon the users name. So far it looks like that was the only field that wasnt wrapped with mysql_real_escape_string() due to the fact it was getting the name from vbulletin and I wasnt thinking. I'm investigating the logs to see if anything was taken advantage of there.

We are upgrading to new servers soon (already upgraded our addon file server). I will again audit my mySQL queries and change all passwords (As I do with all moves).

I'm sure you've read this but since you mention vBulletin I thought this might be related:

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...n-1044462.html