WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Where do we go from here (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44574)

Rythal 10-01-12 12:17 AM

Where do we go from here
 
While we have been thankful to faatal & haavok for the addon we know and love, we are now standing on the thresh-hold.

The source has been released to us, The source is actually very nice to work with since it is broken down into what controls what, and seperate files for each part of it. This will make fixing it a lot easier for myself and any others who chose to, along with allowing all the things we wanted and hoped for to come to reality.

I have uploaded the version a lot of us were already using, even tho it's still not perfect. And as of now I'm not doing anymore updates. (no don't get scared explanation coming)

It just wouldn't make sense to continue updating the massive 26k line beast I have been, not when we have this wonderful orderly meal given to us by them. So I need to redo all the changes I've done up to this point, just to get us on stable footing for moving forward. Once i've reached that point, then we can look at what not I only I want but what you the community wants, and work towards creating the Carbonite we always hoped and dreamed for.

mondoz 10-01-12 12:31 AM

Your hard work is much appreciated!

Teakettle 10-01-12 12:53 AM

Thank you for the updates, I find the map and its features to be very helpful.

What version of the GPL is the code released?

-- Found it - Version 3 (from the readme file)

schizophrena 10-01-12 01:20 AM

I'm sure the open source will save you countless months worth of sleepless nights, but you will still be putting in many I'm sure. Thank you for your willingness to take on the project and your time to upgrade it back to a very worthy and fixed status.

One thing you may also want to explain is how people who are interested in writing and supplying code for you can go about it. I am not one of those types, my understanding is extremely limited and I don't have the time to learn or do it either - but I know this will be a question of many.

Rythal 10-01-12 01:23 AM

I'll be using WI's git services for that, I already created the GIT, and will upload the source once it's up to date.

tinyu 10-01-12 04:55 AM

One thing that I've requested multiple times is a option to completely disable Carbonites Flight Timer because the times keep changing depending on the direction the taxi is going, if it goes towards the desitinion it counts down if its moving away it counts up.

Also a complete overhaul of the Options window would be a definate must, perhaps utilize Blizzards option menus?

robszr2 10-01-12 06:12 AM

Where will you be uploading the file to once you have it updated? Will it still be on carboniteaddon.com or will it be on wow interface?

Mardread 10-01-12 06:31 AM

Direction
 
Hi Rythal,

First, a big thank you to Faatal and Havok for opening up the project. I believe this is the right step for them to do as they no longer play the game and have their own lives that take priority for them. I am sure everyone appreciate's the hard work you are about to undertake in this huge addon.

Now, my suggestions for this beast:

1. Map.

Before using Carbonite full time, I used Cartographer 3. Even though it never left the development stage, this minimap addon was almost perfect and allowed the "Google" style of maps. The part that made it awesome to me was that it did not add the zoomed out maps that Blizzard uses for default. It just used the detailed maps all the time. This is not really practical when the map is opened up for full display though. My understanding of the map right now is that there is no difference between the minimap and map other than display size. This is a good idea as it sort of combines the two into one. I would just like to keep the main maps out of the minimap display and just leave the detailed maps permanently. When in map view, then the artwork maps can display just like they do now. I don't really know if this can be done, but it's just a suggestion and an opinion.

2. Quests.

I actually like the quest watch frame along with it's look. I have not been able to find a suitable replacement for it anywhere, although Questhelper 2 had a pretty cool setup (I think this addon is dead, but not quite sure) and integration. I also like the quest log. So other than fixing the database and pathing(?), this is good to go.

3. Nodes.

I do use this feature, but not all the time. I don't know how important this part is to the whole addon, but I think it could probably be dropped because there are other addons which actually do a better job (Gatherer, GatherMate2). I think allowing the integration of these into Carbonite would save you time. Again, only an opinion.

4. Enhanced Social Window.

I do not use any of these features and turn them off. If you wish to streamline the addon, this would probably be a good place to start.

5. User Interface.

I use Aurora for everything in my interface (I used to use Skinner). To allow better integration with custom interfaces, you could allow for third party addons to change the look of the UI. Just another suggestion.

6. Options Menu.

I agree with tinyu for an options menu overhaul. Right now, the addon saves settings for each individual character. Why not make it a universal setting for all characters. Everytime I make a change in my interface, I have to log into each character I have and import settings from the saved character. This is a cumbersome method and more suited for action bars and unit frames. Make it universal across the board. Or, you could simplify this by using the same profiles method that most addon authors use.

7. Tracking Hud.

I like the look of this over TomTom, but adding additional options to turn on/off parts of it as tinyu mentioned would be cool. Not necessary though.

That's my list.

Ok. So this is a long list. It's all suggestions and I am sure many folks will have more to input and disagree with what I have written. I like the changes that you have already made and I am sure you will make choices that the majority of the community will enjoy. Thank you again for taking over and keeping this great addon alive.

-Mardread

tinyu 10-01-12 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mardread (Post 265517)

6. Options Menu.

Right now, the addon saves settings for each individual character. Why not make it a universal setting for all characters. Everytime I make a change in my interface, I have to log into each character I have and import settings from the saved character. This is a cumbersome method and more suited for action bars and unit frames. Make it universal across the board. Or, you could simplify this by using the same profiles method that most addon authors use.

Some people have completely different setups for each character so the way I see it is the only way to go is to have both a "per character" and "universal" save option.

Also with your comment about the way Carbonite handles gather nodes, it only does it badly because it's never been updated properly (AFAIK) and when I played I like the blinking minimap node alerts carbonite had :D

Rythal 10-01-12 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyu (Post 265519)
Some people have completely different setups for each character so the way I see it is the only way to go is to have both a "per character" and "universal" save option.

Also with your comment about the way Carbonite handles gather nodes, it only does it badly because it's never been updated properly (AFAIK) and when I played I like the blinking minimap node alerts carbonite had :D

I will most likely be converting the options over to ace3config / ace3db to give easy access to profiles. Also the localization will be ace, since right now it's a mess of both hardcoded localization and the localization.lua (noticed that while adding the new node types).

the blinking minimap nodes was nice, but the flicker of other icons was a problem which I couldn't track down at the time... hopefully me or someone else will find why it happens.

tinyu 10-01-12 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265522)
the blinking minimap nodes was nice, but the flicker of other icons was a problem which I couldn't track down at the time... hopefully me or someone else will find why it happens.

Should be "easier" to track down with the source code.

clipper 10-01-12 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265486)
Once i've reached that point, then we can look at what not I only I want but what you the community wants, and work towards creating the Carbonite we always hoped and dreamed for.

I remember an early version of your fan update had a checkbox like "Use Blizzard's Quest POI" or something like that, which caused it to use the Blizzard map blobs instead of checking Carbonite's internal db. Is there even any reason for Carbonite to maintain an internal quest location db now that WoW natively supports that? It seems that's always been one of the last things to get fixed whenever a new zone opens up, and of course it's always the first thing everyone needs when a new zone opens up.

Btw, please do not remove the per-character settings, many of my toons use the map in very different ways.

Also, I do use the enhanced social window, I like the way it maintains the "friends list" across different toons without needing to use Blizzard's RealId crap.

Things that I really, really miss from when Carbonite was being more regularly updated:
  • The gather nodes being in the right place
  • The map nodes for world objects like forges, anvils, Inns, Banks, flight masters, et al, being complete and correct.
  • I really miss the internal database of what merchants sold which items. Carbonite used to be able to able to point me to the nearest merchant who sells Crystal Vials or whatever.
  • Hey could we please add Flight Trainers to the list of trainers it can point us to? :)
Thanks man, I am *so* looking forward to Carbonite getting back to what it once was (the most awesome addon I've ever seen, for any game!)

Rythal 10-01-12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipper (Post 265525)
I remember an early version of your fan update had a checkbox like "Use Blizzard's Quest POI" or something like that, which caused it to use the Blizzard map blobs instead of checking Carbonite's internal db. Is there even any reason for Carbonite to maintain an internal quest location db now that WoW natively supports that? It seems that's always been one of the last things to get fixed whenever a new zone opens up, and of course it's always the first thing everyone needs when a new zone opens up.

Btw, please do not remove the per-character settings, many of my toons use the map in very different ways.

Also, I do use the enhanced social window, I like the way it maintains the "friends list" across different toons without needing to use Blizzard's RealId crap.

Things that I really, really miss from when Carbonite was being more regularly updated:
  • The gather nodes being in the right place
  • The map nodes for world objects like forges, anvils, Inns, Banks, flight masters, et al, being complete and correct.
  • I really miss the internal database of what merchants sold which items. Carbonite used to be able to able to point me to the nearest merchant who sells Crystal Vials or whatever.
  • Hey could we please add Flight Trainers to the list of trainers it can point us to? :)
Thanks man, I am *so* looking forward to Carbonite getting back to what it once was (the most awesome addon I've ever seen, for any game!)

The problem with use blizzards POI is it only worked in the current zone since it relies on map data provided by blizzard. When there is no map data because either the quest doesn't provide any or your in another zone it errors (like is happening now).

per-character is going no where, when it goes to aceDB you'll have the same profile style window you already have with many addons and can copy or save as you wish per character, or save as default etc.

clipper 10-01-12 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265534)
The problem with use blizzards POI is it only worked in the current zone since it relies on map data provided by blizzard. When there is no map data because either the quest doesn't provide any or your in another zone it errors (like is happening now).

Oh, so *that's* what's going on...
And yet, I'm almost sure that some of the quests that aren't currently working *are* in the same zone that I'm in...? I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think I've received any quests outside of the Jade Forest yet.

gOOvER 10-01-12 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265500)
I'll be using WI's git services for that, I already created the GIT, and will upload the source once it's up to date.

Would be great when you also host on Github. A lot of work is todo and Github is better for social coding, because Carbonite has not only 10 Lines of code. :)

Nothing against WI Git. :)

In past i started to implement AceLocale, to make Carbonite ready for Multilanguage, but i stopped, because of old Licence.

With GPL i will start again, if you are intressted in help :)

Btw: What do you think about to rename Carbonite to osCarbonite? (os = OpenSource)

Rythal 10-01-12 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clipper (Post 265536)
Oh, so *that's* what's going on...
And yet, I'm almost sure that some of the quests that aren't currently working *are* in the same zone that I'm in...? I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think I've received any quests outside of the Jade Forest yet.

aye... anytime one doesn't work, if you look at the blizzard map (alt-m) it won't have it either, so while it looks like it's a problem with Carbonite not picking it up, it's actually blizzard never set anything for it. Thats why the internal quest databases were used, and internal is used by any questing addon... the blizzard one is just to unreliable.

Rythal 10-01-12 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gOOvER (Post 265538)
Would be great when you also host on Github. A lot of work is todo and Github is better for social coding, because Carbonite has not only 10 Lines of code. :)

Nothing against WI Git. :)

In past i started to implement AceLocale, to make Carbonite ready for Multilanguage, but i stopped, because of old Licence.

With GPL i will start again, if you are intressted in help :)

Btw: What do you think about to rename Carbonite to osCarbonite? (os = OpenSource)

does github allow us to talk & discuss pushes / pulls from the code? I admit i'm new to the whole git thing, I've pulled code before but never actually actively participated / pushed. I'm looking for something that lets us all push new changes (from what i've seen here i'd have to add people to the project manually), allows ticket creation, and allows us to comment / discuss changes & pushes.

As for a rename, i'm cautious about it... when you consider the tens of thousands of people who use it, only a very very tiny fraction come to the forums, none of them have any clue a new person is now running the show. If we rename it, that means a lot of people will just see carbonite not being updated and abandon it. But i do also see the points in favour of renaming it along with a new beginning.

gOOvER 10-01-12 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265542)
does github allow us to talk & discuss pushes / pulls from the code? I admit i'm new to the whole git thing, I've pulled code before but never actually actively participated / pushed. I'm looking for something that lets us all push new changes (from what i've seen here i'd have to add people to the project manually), allows ticket creation, and allows us to comment / discuss changes & pushes.

Yes it does. :) if you wish, you can add at every codeline a comment :)

Github have also a Bugtracker & if need a Wiki :)

Muezick 10-01-12 09:10 AM

What great news to wake up to.

Thank you Havok and Fataal and thank you thank you Rythal! I will be closely following all of this. I'm a huge fan of you Rythal! Can't wait for modulized Carbonite and a stable healthy version!

Tohrture 10-01-12 09:34 AM

Good news indeed! I'm so glad they decided to release it, Thank you for putting your time into this.

Xcari 10-01-12 10:07 AM

Thank you Rythal. You are a hard working hero!:)

Zarggg 10-01-12 10:35 AM

Would it be possible to post (or at least cross-post) development blogs/threads on here, rather than just your main site? I know you put a lot of work into the RUMA site, but it would be simpler for the community to check just one place.

Rythal 10-01-12 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarggg (Post 265559)
Would it be possible to post (or at least cross-post) development blogs/threads on here, rather than just your main site? I know you put a lot of work into the RUMA site, but it would be simpler for the community to check just one place.

Yes, the main reason for the other site was because until now I really wasn't suppose to be updating Carbonite even tho everyone knew I was. Now that i'm official, and the source is GPL I can post the things here. I've asked about keeping the Carbonite name and was given permission to continue using it (he even said the same as me, it makes more sense to keep it since everyone knows that name, and when we do split it up it still fits well Carbonite Maps, Carbonite Punks, Carbonite Quests etc).

I also asked about puchasing the carboniteaddon domain, since that's where the addon tells people to look for updates & is the place most have been trained to check even tho the download just links to here on WoWUI, but no response on that one yet.

Spahut 10-01-12 11:25 AM

I'd like to have different sounds for quest completions - ie a sound, not a sample of people speaking. A little ding for subtask (hey, you found another blind bat eye), and a tada when the whole quest is done.

And a removal of the "hey, you are using an old version, better get a new one" message

Rythal 10-01-12 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spahut (Post 265564)
I'd like to have different sounds for quest completions - ie a sound, not a sample of people speaking. A little ding for subtask (hey, you found another blind bat eye), and a tada when the whole quest is done.

And a removal of the "hey, you are using an old version, better get a new one" message

That message is already removed in the 5.05 version. The one about a new version available is disabled aswell, but will probably be re-enabled now that I can upload updates.

antiquada 10-01-12 12:05 PM

Carbonite Nodes
 
I am so happy this has all turned out as well as it seems to have turned out. I have been using Carbonite for over 5 years and I really really start getting jittery when it doesn't work. I just can't imagine playing without it.
I was under the impression that years ago the Carbonite nodes locations (herbs, ore, etc) were culled from Wowhead's database. Kinda like the addon Lightheaded pulls quest info and comments (I know it's not automatic and that the addon author has to manually update it).

When we would get a new version or update of Carbonite over the years I would go into the Carbonite's options menu and import the new node info. Not sure if that's how it is still working but I really would like to put in my 2 cents for the node functionality as it has really helped me make tons of gold and helped me equip my 10 level 85's.
A huge thanks to the original authors for creating the best addon I have ever used and letting it continue to live on even though they don't play anymore. If there were two addons I can't play without they would be Auctioneer and Carbonite.

P.S. Wouldn't pulling Wowheads quest info database (without user comments) at regular intervals and populating Carbonite with that quest info be a way to keep the internal quest database updated. I think Cladhaire of Lightheaded says that Wowhead just wanted acknowledgement that the data came from them and and it can be used.

G3n0unknown 10-01-12 12:38 PM

I have been lurking in the shadows for sometime, nervous about the fate of Carbonite.

I started using Carbonite Back in 2007-2008 after a friend suggested I use it over Cartographer. I didn't really like the addon at first, but it grew on me, and I definitely would have been upset if I had to find a new map (Which is the primary reason I use it).

I have been using your Fan updates, Rythal, and I thought it was time to extend to you a personal Thank You in your work, and unwillingness to give up not on Carbonite, but the community who uses it. I know many users would be lost with out it.

I have high hopes for the continuation of the AddOn, as well as the much needed little fixes we have all been waiting for.

Keep up the fantastic work, Rythal. I'm sure I speak for a lot when I say, we appreciate what you have done, and plan to do.

~Geno

EmyrB 10-01-12 01:39 PM

Oh thank the Gods and all that is holy! This is excellent news. I wish you luck Rythal and anything us mere mortals can do to help you, just ask.

Playing WoW without Carbonite has been, erm... different! I ended up using WoWPro and TomTom, but gave up with the pair of them with the quests in Jade Forest. I went back to Carbonite 5.05 and within 30 seconds had located the Gnome engineer in the tree hanging from a parachute, which WoWPro wasn't pointing me to! I wasted the best part of 45 minutes running around and using WoWHead to find the little guy, but to no avail. At last, there is order to the universe.

Cairenn 10-01-12 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gOOvER (Post 265538)
Would be great when you also host on Github. A lot of work is todo and Github is better for social coding, because Carbonite has not only 10 Lines of code. :)

Nothing against WI Git. :)

In past i started to implement AceLocale, to make Carbonite ready for Multilanguage, but i stopped, because of old Licence.

With GPL i will start again, if you are intressted in help :)

Btw: What do you think about to rename Carbonite to osCarbonite? (os = OpenSource)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265542)
does github allow us to talk & discuss pushes / pulls from the code? I admit i'm new to the whole git thing, I've pulled code before but never actually actively participated / pushed. I'm looking for something that lets us all push new changes (from what i've seen here i'd have to add people to the project manually), allows ticket creation, and allows us to comment / discuss changes & pushes.

As for a rename, i'm cautious about it... when you consider the tens of thousands of people who use it, only a very very tiny fraction come to the forums, none of them have any clue a new person is now running the show. If we rename it, that means a lot of people will just see carbonite not being updated and abandon it. But i do also see the points in favour of renaming it along with a new beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gOOvER (Post 265544)
Yes it does. :) if you wish, you can add at every codeline a comment :)

Github have also a Bugtracker & if need a Wiki :)

There are multiple ways here on WoWI to handle having multiple people working on the project here as well. We (Rythal, myself, dolby, etc.) just need to figure out the best ways. :)

Rythal 10-01-12 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 265577)
There are multiple ways here on WoWI to handle having multiple people working on the project here as well. We (Rythal, myself, dolby, etc.) just need to figure out the best ways. :)

I'd rather keep it at home here at WoWI :)

aslanruler 10-01-12 04:54 PM

Adding in my own thanks for maintaining a much loved addon. It really is amazing how many things Carb does, though I doubt that I've ever really seen it in its heyday, since I only started mid-Wrath.

One thing I noticed in Mists is that most times if a quest is simply sending you to another questgiver without any objective to be completed along the way, Carb is currently not displaying it. I'm honestly not sure if that's just a problem I've been having or if others have had it. I can see the end of 'breadcrumb' quests on Blizz's map, just not on Carbs.

Icons for inn, gryphon master, etc in the new areas would be great once you have the core up and running again.

God's Blessings on you Rythal.

nightshade00013 10-01-12 06:30 PM

Well sounds like things are well on their way. Glad to hear that Carbonite went GPL and will continue on.

I Myself rarely use the "punk" feature except to note people who are just a pain in game, like the guild thief's for one as well as the real major jerks and the people who can't handle when a group has issues to work through when downing a boss and rage quit. So maybe just not showing the punk target window by default would be nice and the map flash and warning about toons of the opposite faction being nearby could be turned off only if flagged for PvP or on a PVP realm.

The hud implementation just doesn't do it for me either, I move the character and target frames to the bottom of the screen where all my action bars are also placed. Doing this removed a need for a HUD as I am generally watching cooldowns while in combat and only glance up to change targets if I need to select a specific one.




I can guess that updating the information for the quests is going to be a lot of work. Is there any way that the community can help? With the sheer number of quests out there it would probably be a lot easier to let 100 people each work on them rather than one or two do them all. Basically break them up into groups of quests and give people a template to work with and set us loose.

amkosh 10-01-12 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265578)
I'd rather keep it at home here at WoWI :)

I don't see a URL to do a pull from, sorry for the newbish question, but can you provide it? :)

Vis 10-01-12 08:44 PM

For the quest information why not use a dedicated db from another addon designed just for that reason like Grail?

Rythal 10-01-12 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amkosh (Post 265606)
I don't see a URL to do a pull from, sorry for the newbish question, but can you provide it? :)

There isn't one yet, I'm updating the code with all the changes i've made over the last month to get it MoP ready / compatable first, then i'll upload it to the git.

gOOvER 10-01-12 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 265577)
There are multiple ways here on WoWI to handle having multiple people working on the project here as well. We (Rythal, myself, dolby, etc.) just need to figure out the best ways. :)

Does WI support Pullrequests or Does it support OneClick Merge of Pullrequests? The easiest Way to handle more Dev's is for example on Github:

- Fork Project
- make changes
- push it as Pull Request to Orginal Project
- Dev of Project see all Changes an can merge it with one click

Git on WI have not the Power of Github. ;)

@Rithal: No Problem to keep home here, but think about Github, answer my PM and send my your Github name. Work with both WI and Github; you will see GH is easier ;)

amkosh 10-02-12 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 265609)
There isn't one yet, I'm updating the code with all the changes i've made over the last month to get it MoP ready / compatable first, then i'll upload it to the git.

I see. I grabbed the source from the web site. Its definitely easier to look at this way. I am wondering about all the data luas. Some of them still look like there's some encoding/encryption in there.

Are you going to put this new version out on Curse? Just curious...

as far as git goes, I have not used WI's git, only GH and google code. However, as long as I can do a git clone, and you're communicative of what branches are the main line, I can do a diff and send a patch :)

Thanks!

Cairenn 10-02-12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gOOvER (Post 265611)
Does WI support Pullrequests or Does it support OneClick Merge of Pullrequests? The easiest Way to handle more Dev's is for example on Github:

- Fork Project
- make changes
- push it as Pull Request to Orginal Project
- Dev of Project see all Changes an can merge it with one click

Git on WI have not the Power of Github. ;)

@Rithal: No Problem to keep home here, but think about Github, answer my PM and send my your Github name. Work with both WI and Github; you will see GH is easier ;)

You know, gOOvER, that instead of slamming us for how lousy our Git is (in your opinion), you could perhaps offer to help improve it? *shrugs*

gOOvER 10-02-12 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 265623)
You know, gOOvER, that instead of slamming us for how lousy our Git is (in your opinion), you could perhaps offer to help improve it? *shrugs*

Ohhh Sorry, this should not be bad :) I like the way you support Authors with Repros (Git or SVN). maybe i'm a bit spoiled from Github ^^

And Cairenn: I never said, the Git of WI is bad. :L) I only said, that Github is better for Social Coding ;)

eqsanctum 10-02-12 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 265577)
There are multiple ways here on WoWI to handle having multiple people working on the project here as well. We (Rythal, myself, dolby, etc.) just need to figure out the best ways. :)

As I said in the email you sent me, K, you are the most awesome person I've ever met on the internet.

myrroddin 10-02-12 07:18 AM

Making Repo easier
 
I just pulled up the Curseforge project page for Carbonite, which propagates to Curse when an author tags a beta or release file. If you look at the very bottom right of the page, across from the Curse family of sites links, there is a tiny ! inside a triangle. Rythal, if you click that, you flag the project for moderator attention, and we (I am one of many Curse moderators) can reassign Carbonite to you.

The beauty of this is Curseforge supports external repositories, such as GitHub, WowI, etc and so on, so you can confidently upload here, and as soon as you do, it automatically appears there. You tag here, it automatically goes to Curse. Setting it up is as hard as filling one line in the Edit Project section.

The most you would ever have to do is edit the project description manually, but you can copy and paste that.

Food for thought.

gOOvER 10-02-12 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrroddin (Post 265656)
I just pulled up the Curseforge project page for Carbonite, which propagates to Curse when an author tags a beta or release file. If you look at the very bottom right of the page, across from the Curse family of sites links, there is a tiny ! inside a triangle. Rythal, if you click that, you flag the project for moderator attention, and we (I am one of many Curse moderators) can reassign Carbonite to you.

The beauty of this is Curseforge supports external repositories, such as GitHub, WowI, etc and so on, so you can confidently upload here, and as soon as you do, it automatically appears there. You tag here, it automatically goes to Curse. Setting it up is as hard as filling one line in the Edit Project section.

The most you would ever have to do is edit the project description manually, but you can copy and paste that.

Food for thought.

from me +1 :D

[email protected] 10-02-12 03:02 PM

nice to see curse mods helping out too.
/is pleased

smarshburn 10-02-12 04:25 PM

Finally registered here just to chime in on this one. Rythal, thank you for all you've already done for Carbonite, and thanks in advance for the work you're already planning to put into it. I know it's a massive time commitment and we all appreciate the effort.

I think others have already mentioned this, but I would love to have the option of just having the map/questing data. I don't use the punks feature, and while the inventory feature is nice, I don't use it often, either. I usually keep Nodes turned off as well; I prefer Gatherer for that. I rely heavily on my Carbonite map, though; I usually keep it docked on my screen so that I can see more than just the minimap at one time, and it's a lot more customizable than the Blizz zone map.

myrroddin 10-03-12 08:11 AM

I would have just handed the reigns to Rythal instead of posting that I could hand him the reigns; however, there is a possible name conflict, or at least someone with a name that is very close, and I cannot be absolutely certain they are the same person.

24 hours later, I just checked Curseforge, and no project ticket moderation, and thus no project ownership transfer. Hopefully soon, as there are eleventy billion people asking on the Curse forums "is Rythal updating Carbonite here too?"

Rythal 10-03-12 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrroddin (Post 265774)
I would have just handed the reigns to Rythal instead of posting that I could hand him the reigns; however, there is a possible name conflict, or at least someone with a name that is very close, and I cannot be absolutely certain they are the same person.

24 hours later, I just checked Curseforge, and no project ticket moderation, and thus no project ownership transfer. Hopefully soon, as there are eleventy billion people asking on the Curse forums "is Rythal updating Carbonite here too?"

Rythal1 is me, since when I tried to register it said Rythal was not allowed (guessing someone else has it). But no I haven't put in the ticket yet. I will soon tho.

myrroddin 10-03-12 05:20 PM

You now have full control over Carbonite on Curseforge/Curse, Rythal. Sorry for the late reply! To set up the remote repository, go to the Curseforge project page, click the Repository tab, then Edit Repository on the right. All the options are there, and you can point it to WowInterface if you wish.

I would do it myself, but I don't know what options you want, nor do I know your repo url or type.

That should make more than a few people happy.

Haggisdog 10-08-12 07:27 PM

Happy People
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by myrroddin (Post 265815)

That should make more than a few people happy.

:banana: I was so excited to see that today in my Curse Client...My WoW addon experience is complete... not about that Lightheaded :-)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:02 PM.

vBulletin © 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
© 2004 - 2020 MMOUI