WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite: General Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Carbonite support for Classic? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56311)

DXMage 06-26-18 11:29 AM

Carbonite support for Classic?

Has any work been done to make Carbonite work with Classic when it is released?

Quote:

THE ANSWER IS "YES": Carbonite Classic + Modules (Alpha release) available at GitHub repo: https://github.com/IrcDirk/Carbonite-Classic

First Alpha release available at:

For more information read this thread...

U can donate to help Carbonite Classic development here:

or

Seerah 06-26-18 12:17 PM

Do you have any idea of whether or not addons will be enabled on Classic? What API they will be using?

Kanegasi 06-26-18 01:50 PM

I'm sure you saw the blog post, but this is all we know so far. I would assume the API would be the same, just adjusted so that objects dealing with specific stuff like garrisons or guild bank would simply be missing. Core stuff like handling frames and textures or all the new mixins would probably be there.

ircdirk 06-26-18 10:53 PM

Maybe there will be Carbonite for classic or maybe not, this is our hobby not work. But first it must be released Beta or PTR, without access to working version we cant do nothing.

imjoewhite 11-01-18 02:01 PM

Is there any way to know if you did create a classic version?

Like through email or something? And for that matter is there a way that we can donate to the cause?

ircdirk 11-05-18 05:00 AM

There is many work on Retail version of this addon. So Classic version will be released but dont know when.

DXMage 05-14-19 11:18 AM

That is too bad. It was a great addon for the vanilla days. Now that there is a date set of 8-27-2019 for the release I hope that there is little work required to adapt the current carbonite to it.

ircdirk 05-16-19 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXMage (Post 332087)
That is too bad. It was a great addon for the vanilla days. Now that there is a date set of 8-27-2019 for the release I hope that there is little work required to adapt the current carbonite to it.

I dont have time to update all functions to Live Releases... So i will not work on Classic version. But someone else can make Classic version. This addon is opensource with GPL licence.

JDoubleU00 05-16-19 08:09 AM

Without knowing a lot about the Classic API, I have to ask if an older version might work? I understand that there would not be support for two versions.

Xrystal 05-16-19 11:49 AM

An older version probably wouldn't work out of the box as the addon api probably is the same as the current addon api with just game functionality being different based on the version. It will probably be the case that anyone wishing to do a Classic version of Carbonite would have to see which version has the least changes to make and do any necessary changes.

For example.. the Questing API system will probably be the same as current but the access to World Quests probably won't work. The Mapping API system similarly may be the same as current with access to Maps unavailable to Classic being removed.

Of course, until we can see how they have implemented Classic, this is all theoretical.

ircdirk 05-17-19 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 (Post 332114)
Without knowing a lot about the Classic API, I have to ask if an older version might work?

None of the versions will work. All maps are different, quests etc. Many things needs to be changed to make current version to work in Classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDoubleU00 (Post 332114)
I understand that there would not be support for two versions.

Im not making Classic version of Carbonite, so there will be only support for Live version.

AkiRa84 06-28-19 05:59 AM

Just to clarify. WoW Classic is using the BfA 8.0.1 client now. So Carbonite Maps for 8.0.1 should simply work out of the box.
Just that the maps would be inconsistent. But we can probably dig up a pre-Cata version of Carbonite and replace the maps.

Ebmor 08-12-19 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ircdirk (Post 332112)
I dont have time to update all functions to Live Releases... So i will not work on Classic version. But someone else can make Classic version. This addon is opensource with GPL licence.

Unfortunatly the pre-Cata versions don't have a GPL license.

Does anyone still have contact to the original developers of Carbonite to ask them to rerelease a pre-Cata version of
Carbonit, e.g. Carbonite 3.340 (*), with a GPL license here: http://www.carboniteaddon.com/download.shtml ?

(*) Wowinterface -> Carbonite Maps -> Other Files -> Carbonite 3.34 06/26/10 04:59 AM

(no code modifications are required, just a license change, the Carbonite.lua of the 3.340 version is already not encrypted, unlike early versions)

I had some experimental(!) success with modifications to Carbonite 8.2 and to the first GPL release (CarboniteGPL_5041)
on the test servers this weekend, but without the pre-Cata quest data, POI, ... it will not be were useful anyway.

Although I was able to use "Nx.Que1" (quest data) from Carbonite 3.340 in the modified CarboniteGPL_5041 (ignoring errors) and to track one classic test quest afterwards, such a solution will not be distributable, because of the license problems.

ircdirk 08-13-19 12:50 PM

Maybe when i play a little on Classic ill do version for it. All quest data can be scrapped from WoWHead and Maps from dbc files... So there is hope for Classic Carbonite version... but i cant promise anything or any date.

Othragon 08-15-19 10:44 AM

When I started in late TBC I could not see myself playing without Cabonite's googlemaps like frame. Used until the day I quit, and now returning to Classic nothing complement many of our UI suites better than this gem ported for Classic, which is just the Bfa launch client in disguise.

Here's to hoping you guys find time and motivation to port it!

salemn18 08-24-19 09:14 PM

I will be waiting to find out if this comes to fruition. Also willing to help test.

Json 08-27-19 10:44 AM

Let's try to downgrade Carbonite v2.4.3 to v1.13

So far I've only managed to debug Carbonite Quest and use it even when it was not oficially updated when new patches were released, but I'll try this one. I found oldest version of Carbonite for WoW patch v2.4.3, will try to find out how badly it will be to fix it for Classic v1.13, if it will be possible. (link for Carbonite 2.4.3: https://legacy-wow.com/tbc-addons/carbonite/ )
The worst thing in this case is that I didn't find much of informations about how WoW API is different between v2.4 and v1.13, so it will be mostly try and error which is very time consuming process and there is a little hope to make it work as for now. If Carbonite uses API functions which appeared in API 2.0+ and are not present in API 1.13 - it cannot be done or will have very limited functionality or broken functionality (for example I wonder if Carbonite's map functionality can be done on Classic API) :confused:

jeffy162 08-27-19 01:57 PM

There have been major changes to the API since version 2.4.3 was released. I don't think that the maps will even work. I believe that the classic games' code is a highly modified version of lives 8.1.5, and Carbonite 2.4.3 wouldn't even work in that environment.

Of course, this is all my opinion and I could be wrong (although, I wouldn't bet on it :o ).

Ebmor 08-28-19 12:02 AM

MAYBE there will be something available (based on heavily modified CarboniteGPL_5041 code) after the weekend by mid-September (delayed due to excellent wheater conditions).

Pukkot 08-28-19 08:45 AM

Would be awesome

As an old subscriber this was the main addons i used.
As i am now going back to Classic and tried several other addons and they al stink.
I would without a doubt subscribe again if thats an option that would help you
Patch carbonite to wow-Classic.

Xyan 08-31-19 01:05 PM

I agree with the above post. This was my addon of choice when I played. Now that Classic is released, I'm back full time and came looking.

PLEASE, please reconsider patching for classic. I will be your first subscriber!

rebelian 08-31-19 05:42 PM

I miss carbonite for classic!!! I would get a subscription to use it, or donate monthly via patreon or Brave!

waldosback 09-01-19 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebelian (Post 333487)
I miss carbonite for classic!!! I would get a subscription to use it, or donate monthly via patreon or Brave!

This. Seriously. I too resubscribed after not having played WoW since WoD. I used Carbonite since, damn, was it BC?? Pretty sure it was BC, if not the tail end of Vanilla...

I know this isn't the developer's full time job and what not, but seriously, I would also be very interested in donating via Patreon or other means in order to get a Classic version up and going.

I hate retail, honestly, there is a reason I never subbed to or even purchased BfA. I'll probably never play retail again, and, despite using ELVUI for my complete overhaul, I STILL always used and prefer Carbonite for all quests and especially the map and Minimap!

Being without it is like one of those "naked in front of the school" dreams come to life!

AndehX 09-01-19 01:14 PM

+1 this needs to be a thing for classic!

sandlolz 09-02-19 07:14 AM

I think the author should forget retail, and move to Classic. Retail is dead... WoW is back!

jmelecii 09-02-19 08:22 AM

Carbonite much needed

are we working on carbonite? this addon was awesome and really needed, Seriously whats going on with Questie, come on we know Carbonite is better, Pitter patter, lets get at 'er!!!

Xrystal 09-02-19 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ircdirk (Post 333197)
Maybe when i play a little on Classic ill do version for it. All quest data can be scrapped from WoWHead and Maps from dbc files... So there is hope for Classic Carbonite version... but i cant promise anything or any date.

This was his quote a few days ago. Give him a chance to investigate the plausibility when he isn't playing the game or having a life outside of all this. He hasn't promised anything other than a possibility of it happening with no time frame as to when, if , it will be done.

drfuture 09-02-19 03:19 PM

need carbonite on classic.
made account on forums just for this

Mayur 09-03-19 02:39 PM

WoW vanilla database from what i can see i dose have most of information for questing etc.
https://vanillawowdb.com/

Soli 09-04-19 09:20 AM

i miss Carbonite in classic, too :(

jmelecii 09-04-19 03:57 PM

i still miss carbonite

I would definitely pay as well for this addon.

Palladia 09-05-19 02:58 AM

Sorry to repeat what others have already said, but "waaa"! Carbonite was definitely one of my favorite addons and I'm disappointed to see that it's not available for WoW Classic. I'm not mad at the author for not doing all the work necessary to make it, but I am very sad.

sandlolz 09-05-19 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 333531)
This was his quote a few days ago. Give him a chance to investigate the plausibility when he isn't playing the game or having a life outside of all this. He hasn't promised anything other than a possibility of it happening with no time frame as to when, if , it will be done.

'A life' is no excuse. I have a very active/hectic life (wife/kids/business/self employed)... Getting this addon for Classic Trumps all that.

I'll throw real cash at the guy if he works on this ASAP.

relaw 09-05-19 05:17 PM

to have this addon for classic would be a dream come true, this has always been my favorite addon and id even be willing to pay to use it, at this time all i can do is hope and wait, there are no good waypoint addons working for classic I NEED CARBONITE

P.S. I also created an account just to reply to this thread

Bigfoot 09-07-19 03:20 AM

Someone give us hope...

Checking here daily for any signs of hope vor a Classic Carbonite... so far no Luck :( /sadd

Would also donate money any time if someone would port it. Best WoW Addon there ever was, and there ever will be :o

jmelecii 09-07-19 01:17 PM

me too

I check here every morning and evening as well to see if theirs any talk of updates. I'm thinking about putting together a march through Washington DC soon for this addon.

relaw 09-09-19 01:33 PM

I also am checking this thread every single day for an update I need this in my life so much

Kingyoshi9 09-09-19 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 333531)

Would he be willing to take donations as an incentive?
Or is that against the rules?

After all I used to subscribe to Carbonite.

Xrystal 09-09-19 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingyoshi9 (Post 333677)
Would he be willing to take donations as an incentive?
Or is that against the rules?

After all I used to subscribe to Carbonite.

I have no clue, I don't use Carbonite myself but was merely pointing out that he had responded early on. An addon to this scale dealing with the one segment of WOW that was changed massively in Legion/BfA to now not be working in the same way ( actually a mixed version of pre Legion/BfA and post ) in Classic will mean quite a bit of time investigating the extent of the problem and the possibility of a solution. He hasn't said it won't happen, just that he can't promise it will or a timeframe if it does. Hopefully he will let you all know sooner rather than later his opinions on the matter.

And a reminder of the quote from ircdirk early in this thread.
Quote:

waldosback 09-11-19 07:36 AM

Oh I read and remember that post very well.

I'm just wondering if there are other coders here that work on the addon or people capable of doing so that could maybe jump start this little project?

The extent of my programming knowledge is literally old school HTML and some (very limited) C++ and that's about it, otherwise I would honestly not have a problem taking on the dirty work of assembling and gathering what needed to be gathered and assembled for him/her to work with.

I mean, there's a lot of us stating we would donate monetarily, but seriously if there is something I can do as far as putting work in to light the fire under this project, please, I am all ears and more than willing!!!

ircdirk 09-13-19 09:58 AM

This will take time, be patient ... but i can tell u that i got alpha working version of Carbonite Maps for Classic. Still need to rewrite Map overlays from WoTLK version of Carbonite, but it looks promising.

ircdirk 09-14-19 03:31 AM

Progress update Carbonite Classic + Modules:

- Carbonite Maps (main module) - working: no errors, overalys are good, needs testing
- Carbonite Quests - working: no errors, no quest data so no quest shown

Quartz 09-14-19 05:05 AM

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Thank you soo much! As someone who has no sense of direction I really appreciate Carbonite maps.

As others have said, I can't thank you enough for putting in all the hard work to get this beloved addon working.

sandlolz 09-14-19 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ircdirk (Post 333728)

- Carbonite Maps (main module) - working: no errors, overalys are good, needs testing

I love you.

Where do I send the $$$?

prattdog 09-14-19 08:06 AM

This is great. best addon i had in BC

relaw 09-14-19 08:12 PM

Quote:

You have made me soo happy, I cant thank you enough and I cannot wait until this is working you are a god among us and I salute you sir

Bigfoot 09-15-19 03:16 AM

Quote:

This just made me the happiest person on the globe... wow just isn't WOW without Carbonite :)

If we can donate somewhere plz let us know :o

jmelecii 09-15-19 05:06 AM

Awesomeness

Really appreciate the fact you took a serious look at this, I don't know if you worked alone on this or have a team but this addon is awesome. Thank you very much, i know once this is done, probably gonna be a mandatory leveling addon for me and the crew.

ircdirk 09-15-19 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelecii (Post 333753)
Really appreciate the fact you took a serious look at this, I don't know if you worked alone on this or have a team but this addon is awesome. Thank you very much, i know once this is done, probably gonna be a mandatory leveling addon for me and the crew.

Only one person, me. So finding time for this release is not easy.

Any donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ircdrik

ircdirk 09-15-19 11:35 AM

- Carbonite Quests - working: scraping quest data from WoWHead...

ircdirk 09-15-19 02:20 PM

Beta version of Carbonite Classic + Modules will be available (in 2-5 days) at https://github.com/IrcDirk/Carbonite-Classic.

prattdog 09-15-19 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ircdirk (Post 333773)
Beta version of Carbonite Classic + Modules will be available (in 2-5 days) at https://github.com/IrcDirk/Carbonite-Classic.

wow great news. I may have to donate

chaosrecords 09-15-19 07:20 PM

I donated 5.00

Ill donate more once you post that github repo zip compiled.
Or make beta tests avail - my github is chaosrecords.

I dont know how to code, but im a 11 year IT manager and regularly beta test via testflight for Retronyms, windows insider, IQmetrix and Sprint systems so i can usually recreate issues and dont report nonsense.

ircdirk 09-16-19 03:58 AM

First Alpha available on GitHub repo https://github.com/IrcDirk/Carbonite-Classic. For now only Carbonite Maps + Quests.

This is early stage, please report all issues on GitHub.

jmelecii 09-16-19 07:23 AM

Omg Ty

This is terrific and ty. I play every night after 7pm est time so I will be using this pretty tough, so would you like any error messages or do you have them handled. I don't mind helping.

ircdirk 09-16-19 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelecii (Post 333789)
This is terrific and ty. I play every night after 7pm est time so I will be using this pretty tough, so would you like any error messages or do you have them handled. I don't mind helping.

Create issue on github repo with error message and description.

jmelecii 09-16-19 08:29 AM

Great Job

I finally got all my addons straight, but I was able to get rid of 6 different addons because of Carbonite. So far everything is good. Seriously ty very much, I m very excited to play tonight.

rebelian 09-16-19 02:48 PM

Quote:

Any donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ircdrik
Thank you for updating Carbonite! Sent some €. I would like to pay a monthly fee, maybe via https://creators.brave.com/?

@all: A nice classic addon manager that works with WOWi, Curse and Github: https://github.com/erikabp123/ClassicAddonManager

sandlolz 09-16-19 03:36 PM

Sent enough money for 2-3 mcdonalds meals or 7-10 pints of beer... Might send more but I just got a $5900 power bill for my business so... We'll see.

ircdirk 09-17-19 12:09 AM

Thanks for all donations. This will go for WoW subscriptions, this way i will not bother about it.