WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General WoW Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   lol Email scam (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33928)

tralkar 07-13-10 10:03 PM

lol Email scam

First one of this type i have seen.

Greetings,

This is an automated notification sent from our account security system. You logined your account successfully at 05:48 on
July 13th form the 000.00.000.* range, but our system shows the 000.00.000.* IP range exists a large number of hackers. As
too many customer complaints, the 000.00.000.* IP range has been blacklisted. We are concerned about whether your account
has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you check your account status here as soon
as possible. If you have any questions, please visit :
http://***-batt1e.net/

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised
account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will
require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

Blizzard account system
Blizzard Entertainment

Seerah 07-13-10 10:08 PM

This one has actually been around for a couple of months. But I am fond of their new word "logined". :)

voodoodad 07-13-10 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tralkar (Post 197576)
First one of this type i have seen.

Greetings,

This is an automated notification sent from our account security system. You logined your account successfully at 05:48 on
July 13th form the 000.00.000.* range, but our system shows the 000.00.000.* IP range exists a large number of hackers. As
too many customer complaints, the 000.00.000.* IP range has been blacklisted. We are concerned about whether your account
has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you check your account status here as soon
as possible. If you have any questions, please visit :
http://***-batt1e.net/

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised
account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will
require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

Blizzard account system
Blizzard Entertainment

"Logined"?

/shake head sadly

Ookami.kun 07-13-10 10:10 PM

I've gotten a bunch of those, and what's funny is one or two of them have listed dates and times I know I wasn't on because I had been out with friends. They keep trying though. Lately I've been getting ones that follow that basic layout, except that they replaced the "As too many customer complaints, the 000.00.000.* IP range has been blacklisted." part with something like "You spammed chat with offers, which pissed off to many people, so we're blacklisting. I find it funny that they keep using the same stuff over and over again and when they do decide to change something it's only minutely. It gives me a laugh at the end of a hard day of work when I get home. :D

voodoodad 07-13-10 10:13 PM

Scary part is, it must work often enough for them to keep repeating it.

Like a shotgun to a barrel full of fish...

/shake head again

SkunkWerks 07-14-10 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoodad (Post 197583)
Scary part is, it must work often enough for them to keep repeating it.

It costs nothing to send thousands of these out. If you get even a half-dozen bites, you've made money.

MidgetMage55 07-14-10 12:59 AM

My favorite part is just reading the tortured grammar. I sometimes make a game of it. Count how many sentences go by before you spot something. Hell you could almost make a drinking game out of it.

**ponders** :rolleyes:

Phanx 07-14-10 01:55 AM

My favorite part is the way they send them all to the wrong email address. I get about a dozen a week at an email address I don't use for anything WoW related, but I almost never get any at the email address I use for my WoW account or the email address I use for WoWI and other WoW sites.

In fact, they seem to really like the other address, as I get not only WoW spam, but Aion spam, and occasionally Star Trek Online spam...

Ferous 07-14-10 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 197622)
My favorite part is the way they send them all to the wrong email address. I get about a dozen a week at an email address I don't use for anything WoW related, but I almost never get any at the email address I use for my WoW account or the email address I use for WoWI and other WoW sites.

In fact, they seem to really like the other address, as I get not only WoW spam, but Aion spam, and occasionally Star Trek Online spam...

Ha! Exactly. I have a TON of fake emails on my one email I never use unless its for junk, and my actual wow account never has spam. My account I use for WoWI never has spam either. :)

schambi 07-14-10 05:08 AM

the amount of scam mails is kinda crazy.
Thats the reason I create another Email for my personal use .. i cant different between original and fakes but hm .. cant remember when i got a important mail from blizz so i dont care about the content

voodoodad 07-14-10 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 (Post 197616)
My favorite part is just reading the tortured grammar. I sometimes make a game of it. Count how many sentences go by before you spot something. Hell you could almost make a drinking game out of it.

**ponders** :rolleyes:

"Hi, Bob!"

*god, I'm old...*

Kaos36 07-15-10 05:11 PM

I get like 3 a week straight to the spam bin, have to laugh how desperate they are getting, just check 'Sender details' they always have email acc from Hotmail.com or some other freebie. Thats where they fail.

Halloseve 07-17-10 07:04 AM

It's said that some people still fall for easy tricks like this. :[

Taryble 07-17-10 10:12 AM

I get probably 10-15 of these each day.

Why? I'm not sure. It's on one of my hotmail accounts - the one I used when I signed up on WoWI and MMOC. It's also the one that was originally on my WoW account (changed when Battle.Net rolled out). It's just very amusing. :-)

Dark-Sider 07-21-10 01:50 PM

Hi,

my daily junk-mailbox also contains loads of them. The funny thing is they all come to my three bulk-mail-accounts - but not the one that is registerred as my battle.net account - really funny :-)

bye
Darky

VincentSDSH 07-21-10 02:18 PM

Those aren't nearly as funny as the ones that have a from address different than the return-email address: from Blizzard, return to some asshat on hotmail.

Phishing is one thing, insulting my intelligence is another.

Ariele 07-21-10 02:41 PM

I get a ton of those kinds of mails everyday. The funny thing is i changed my mail adress 2 years ago and they still send it to my old one lol

Bluspacecow 07-21-10 09:58 PM

Thank god for Gmail I guess.

Also isn't the IP range 000.000.000.000 to 000.000.000.255 reserved for your network card ?

Taryble 07-21-10 10:46 PM

I think that's reserved for testing, honestly. I also think he was just zeroing out the IP in the mail. :)

tralkar 07-22-10 02:32 AM

Yes 0'ed them out and also the link.. Don't want any kids clicking on things that there not suppose too..