WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Minion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Attempts to update addons to older versions (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52099)

rockforce 03-19-15 05:22 AM

Attempts to update addons to older versions

The Minion client will scan and ask to update addons to versions that are older than the currently installed. For example my Archy addon is at version 6.1.0.11, the client attempts to "update" to 6.1.0.10.

The likely cause is that for some reason WoWInterface is not furnished with the latest versions of certain addons for some reason.

The previous is the case for 7 of my Addons. It's not an issue that renders the client unusable, it just reduces the usefulness greatly.

Tonyleila 03-19-15 07:42 AM

This is the case for 20 of my AddOns and the reason why I can't use Minion for WoW :(

Seerah 03-19-15 08:50 PM

If you have addons that are more regularly updated on Curse than here, then you can always right-click the addon and tell Minion to ignore it.

Tonyleila 03-20-15 08:44 AM

How about letting Minion check the date/time when the files were changed instead of the version numbers?

And if it checks for Version numbers then it shoud prefere the ## X-Curse-Packaged-Version: .
E.g. BigWigs has Curse-Packaged-Version r12986-release on the addon pages but the its version number is 4.822.
Also there is no refresh button so when I updated some addons with curse already Minion dosen't see it and trys to update BigWigs from 4.818 to r12986.

Rilgamon 03-20-15 09:34 AM

Software versions are not computer readable. They dont follow rules.

Tonyleila 03-20-15 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilgamon (Post 307647)
Software versions are not computer readable. They dont follow rules.

What Software versions are you talking about? The ## X-Curse-Packaged-Version is a added to the toc file only for the Curse client.

rockforce 03-20-15 10:54 AM

I understand that completely Seerah and that is what I did. My posting this was so that maybe a solution or change could be made that prevents it from happening.

Since the version number of most addons stay in the same format every time, if the number is higher perhaps it could ignore the downgrade. 3.1.3>3.1.2 so it doesn't ask to update. Granted, some addon developers change the version structure from time to time, such as 1.0 becoming v1.0 or r1.0, and in that case it would cause issue. However I feel the frequency of false flags would drop when not attempting to update a version that is > the one on the site.

Rilgamon 03-20-15 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyleila (Post 307650)
What Software versions are you talking about? The ## X-Curse-Packaged-Version is a added to the toc file only for the Curse client.

No matter what version we talk about. Versioning is done by hand and has no rules to follow.

6.1,6.2 ... 6.9,6.10,6.11 ... Math would say 6.2 is higher than 6.11 ... Versioning does not need to follow math or logic. A version can even decrease when a developer decides his changes are not working and he reverts back. It's a string that is formed after a logic decided by every dev on his own. And every rule you write for Minion to detect a certain pattern of versioning will fail on most version numbers. So in the end you have hundreds of rules you have to weight and it will still be a guess that might fail.

Tonyleila 03-20-15 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilgamon (Post 307652)
No matter what version we talk about. Versioning is done by hand and has no rules to follow.
6.1,6.2 ... 6.9,6.10,6.11 ... Math would say 6.2 is higher than 6.11 ... Versioning does not need to follow math or logic. A version can even decrease when a developer decides his changes are not working and he reverts back. It's a string that is formed after a logic decided by every dev on his own. And every rule you write for Minion to detect a certain pattern of versioning will fail on most version numbers. So in the end you have hundreds of rules you have to weight and it will still be a guess that might fail.

Version numbers are only for the users... However the Curse Client is checking for your version its doing it right because I have never had a downgrade there even if I had a newer version from wowinterface.

Rilgamon 03-20-15 10:55 PM

Right. Because curse client already has hundreds of rules and exceptions. And it was a long and hard way.
Minion is at the beginning of this way with more tasks open than closed. So on the road we as a user need to understand that we have to check the version numbers because the program can not do this yet.

Tonyleila 03-21-15 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rilgamon (Post 307662)
Right. Because curse client already has hundreds of rules and exceptions. And it was a long and hard way.
Minion is at the beginning of this way with more tasks open than closed. So on the road we as a user need to understand that we have to check the version numbers because the program can not do this yet.

You say curse client is checking for the version numbers - I don't think so because when I edit ANY file in the addon folder while the curse client is closed and then open the client it directly detects that I have modified this addon. My guess its comparing the code of the file.

Rilgamon 03-21-15 05:18 AM

I'm not that deep into what the curse client can do and what not. IIRC this is part of the functionallity that prevents the client to mess with developers working copies. Like a .svn/.git-directory will exclude the addon from updating.