WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33892)

funkydude 07-15-10 01:57 PM

Thanks to Mikma's 0 imagination EU alliance is also Secure Hookers.

Torhal 07-15-10 01:58 PM

Aww...I thought you were going with mine.

SabinDeus 07-15-10 04:13 PM

Hey Cairenn, I would just like to say that despite the fact that I generally prefer Curseforge's features and site layout to WoWI, the transparency and class with which you guys are handling the beta key giveaway is pretty impressive compared to them. Now I just feel dumb for having not updated my addon on WoWI in like, months. Luckily this has spurred me to correct that oversight.

Cheers!

--Sabin

xDD 07-15-10 04:16 PM

As promised, I uploaded my addon.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...azyRaider.html

If you have any feature requests feel free to post them in the comments and I'll see if I can implement them! :)

Siku 07-15-10 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torhal (Post 198076)
Aww...I thought you were going with mine.

I'm scared to ask...but what was yours?

Torhal 07-15-10 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siku (Post 198159)
I'm scared to ask...but what was yours?

<For I In Pairs>

TrinityJayOne 07-16-10 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippydip (Post 198055)
I gotta say, I'm actually pretty stoked that 10 people have downloaded it already. That's nothing compared to a lot of other mods, but it makes me feel good nonetheless. If anyone happens to check it out, I would appreciate any feedback you may have :)

Heh, I fell into the "personal use" category and only uploaded mine so that some guildies could use it - close to 1k downloads combined on here and Curse now. :) Most of those probably stopped using it because it can be incredibly annoying, but that's the idea and it teaches good Warlock-ness/habits!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabinDeus (Post 198100)
despite the fact that I generally prefer Curseforge's features and site layout to WoWI

Have to disagree with you on that one, as I find Curse needlessly complex for the majority of addons. Maybe for larger works like DBM you need project managers and whatnot, but most are just single-author works that WoWI caters for perfectly.

As for these fraudulent uploaders, best of luck getting to them all. I have no doubt that smaller, not-well-know addons like mine would have been prime targets. :(

smb 07-16-10 01:18 AM

Edit:

EU Horde Guild: Garbage Collectors

Jiminizer 07-16-10 05:38 AM

I take it co-authors are not eligible for keys? I don't have any projects of my own, but I help with the interface and graphics for a relatively popular addon, so I'm not marked as an author.

FISKER_Q 07-16-10 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smb (Post 198190)
+

=

We also have a EU Horde guild named "Lewd on Demand" now :p

Edit: ./w Smb or Mordac for invite

Nay i say, i predate this maniac, [07:23:33] <Fisker> Garbage Collectors is up btw

Whisper me for invite:banana:

Xruptor 07-16-10 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabinDeus (Post 198100)
Hey Cairenn, I would just like to say that despite the fact that I generally prefer Curseforge's features and site layout to WoWI, the transparency and class with which you guys are handling the beta key giveaway is pretty impressive compared to them. Now I just feel dumb for having not updated my addon on WoWI in like, months. Luckily this has spurred me to correct that oversight.

Cheers!

--Sabin

I'd have to disagree as well. I know it's your opinion. The color choices used by Curse and CurseForge and the fact that everything is so ridiculously cluttered causes me to get frustrated with Curse altogether. The way the comments are handled are annoying and the fact that searching for an addon is a chore in itself makes curse my least favorite website.

Curse's version of a centralized location to view all comments is cumbersome at best. I have to click on several links and skim through several pages to get anything done. When upload or maintaining an addon, I have to go through several tabs and pages to do the same thing I can do in ONE page on WOWInterface.com.

The simplistic layout and design of WOWInterface.com suites my needs. They did a great job! Searching for an addon and viewing addons in simplistic categories is great! Their sorting is simple and so is their ranking system. The addon pages are very simple with comment tabs and such to prevent cluttering.

That's not to say that Curse has its uses and positives, which it does. I just find the overall cluttered mess and color scheme to be frustrating at best.

Overall I give WOWInterface.com a 10 :) :banana:

ricks322 07-16-10 07:32 AM

I have to agree I for one do not like using Curse, for one thing since I don't use their 'client' to download and install I have to go to the download page, then pick manual download. And since my flash is broken with the latest version I must switch to an Admin account on my computer to click the manual button.
I also feel the way the addon page is formated seems cluttered and hard to get around. I nevered have liked scrolling frames within scrowling web pages. But I guess I'm just old school.

Add I also would give WOWInterface.com a 10..:banana:

And Curse a 5..:confused:

SabinDeus 07-16-10 08:03 AM

Ok I can't argue with that, the way they protect the manual download links using Flash sucks. But I do like my free hosted ticketing system and SVN repo and package creator :)

But yeah, totally just an opinion. Nothing major. :banana:

--Sabin

Drazisil 07-16-10 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabinDeus (Post 198247)
Ok I can't argue with that, the way they protect the manual download links using Flash sucks. But I do like my free hosted ticketing system and SVN repo and package creator :)

But yeah, totally just an opinion. Nothing major. :banana:

--Sabin

I'm new to the addon system here, but it looks like WoWi supports SVN and package creation here as well. Now I'm just wondering if there is a way to attach my SVN client to both repositories.

infamy 07-16-10 09:09 AM

As a user I like Curse's client well-enough, but their Search makes me want to stab puppies.

As a "developer" - I hate Curse forge. I'm just a non-coder who hacked together a tool to do a job that I needed done. The repository is great, I presume, for those who need the tools. But it would be great if they had a "just take the addon and leave me alone" option for the rest of us. It's fine now that I know, but when I first tried to upload my stuff to Curse, I looked like my grandmother trying to figure out how to use a mouse. I felt that way, too - it was mortifying.

SabinDeus 07-16-10 09:13 AM

Wow, no kidding. I never saw the SVN repos here before... when did that get added?

Seerah 07-16-10 09:26 AM

Guys, guys! This thread isn't about Curse. :p If you have suggestions or comments for them, you can post those on their forums. ;)

@SabinDeus:
Here's the news post from when our SVN went live. :) You can also enable your author portal which gives you a blog/news page, a ticket tracker (for bugs/features), an FAQ page, and the ability to create additional pages for your projects such as for API, etc. Basically a mini-website, hosted by us. ;)

See mine for an example (though I don't really use it to its full potential): http://seerah.wowinterface.com

SabinDeus 07-16-10 09:48 AM

Sorry for the tangent!

toddimer 07-16-10 10:39 AM

I'm less interested in the BETA gameplay, and more interested in any API changes. As a developer, anyway. As a player, I'll squeal like a girl if/when i get that key.

Is the command-line API still enabled, ala for api calls and such? Do we have any chance at NDA-style early API previews? When's the best time for us to get feedback to the dev's?

For example, my addon does some pretty heavy lifting with the inspection API. It would be nice to document what works (and what doesn't) in a place the Dev's could access, before they commit themselves to a design :)

Seerah 07-16-10 11:25 AM

/run, /script, and /dump were disabled with the last patch. People/authors were using them to get around the "addons disabled" restriction (due to Blizzard wanting their own code tested, since it's not finished).

You can use the AddonKit to extract the base UI files for beta, though last I heard the Mac one wasn't working for some reason. Keep in mind, however, that the API is still changing for the new stuff.