WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Will Carbonite be updated for MOP? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43773)

Rythal 08-29-12 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timidangel (Post 261018)
Turned it off and it works perfectly :) thank you so much for your patience in answering all these silly questions.....now once i'm out of the starter area, using Carbonite POI's would be ok again yes?

yep :) from 11 to 85 carbonite's POI's still work fine.

jarda128 08-29-12 07:19 PM

Ha it works :)
Rythal:
Good job,man :)
i use sexy map a minimap button frame because that function in carbonite was buggy
but now it works as would be expected ...
thanks again :)

alivejamie 08-29-12 08:38 PM

Looking forward to the bug fix for the green eye :)

jarda128 08-29-12 08:44 PM

I notice now,that carbonite dont report completing quests ...
i was like that sound "Quest complete" and now not plays and there is not text message either ...
any idea how to turn on ?

redhighhealz 08-29-12 09:19 PM

Thank you so very, very much Rythal. You are awesome. I have used this addon for years now and I was going to be super sad if no one did anything for it. I concur w/ the previous posters that the map function is what i mostly use it for (w/ the node tracking, note making, routing and just an indepth map of the lanscape) w/ quest tracking being a nice feature i also use. TBH i've never even messed around with the other options. Again thank you for your work on getting a usable code to patch this with.

Araldwenn 08-29-12 09:30 PM

Any chance you fix it for french client ? I actually miss carbonite a lot. Thanks in advance

kunark29 08-29-12 09:34 PM

when i replace the carbonite files with yours when i log in ai still get alot errors and cant close out the window am i doing something wrong i am on windows xp i downloaded your files went to wow program interface addons deleted the original carbonite files and put yours into it but all i get is same errors when i load into game

Juderix 08-29-12 09:39 PM

First thank you so much for taking on the continuation of the great addon.

I have a similar problem as jarda128, There is no update of the quest text to show x or y items being finished. Also no sound or indication of quest being completed.

I have also noticed Carbonite severely reduces my FPS from about 70 to a glacial 10-12. If I turn on ignore LUA errors I recover to about 60-65.

If you need additional information I can hopefully supply whatever you may require.

Balthizar 08-29-12 09:47 PM

Rythal,

*************** First, you have done a fabulous job rebuilding the mod thus far. Bugs are to be expected with any project but from the sounds of it the previous developers have made this far more difficult in an attempt to protect their code. I have not read fully the license for this mod so I am not sure how you would be able to circumvent it in the case that you receive no response from the developers. I do have a suggestion for you though which will allow for the Carbonite Community to reclaim the functions they love from this mod without you breaking any type of possible agreements.

*************** A full rewrite of this mod and mild appearance changes to identify it separately from this software will allow for you to maintain segregation from this project without infringing on their proprietary code.* This definitely sounds like a huge undertaking if it were not for a large resource that, as of yet, you have not tapped into.

*************** I am referring to the multitude of authors who are willing to assist, dozens of users willing to donate and the massive horde of players who will more than happily beta test until it is perfect.* I could fit into any of these categories given a few weeks to learn Lua, but for now I would happily donate to you specifically for your work thus far and I can and will also beta test this mod with the rest of the community.

*************** Bringing the Lua code to full compatibility would make this mod run far more efficiently than it currently does. Using the now common modular design would allow for people who prefer only a portion of this mod to enable what they use and remove the rest. The most important aspect of any version you produce is something which you touched on for ease of access but could potentially be expanded to lighten the amount of footwork and code required to get this off the ground. What I am referring to is the use of the Blizzard databases for quest locations, vendor inventories, map files, etc.* This starting database could use the input from regular users’ normal activities to maintain itself and create a much more accurate source from which to pull POI’s and the like.

*************** I personally think that you should give the current developers of Carbonite 60 days from the release of 5.0.4 to contact you. If they fail to meet this deadline then you should create a Kickstarter campaign for the rewrite of this as a newly named mod and reach out into this vibrant community for skilled developers, beta testers and financial support to allow you the time in which this undertaking could be completed.

As for a mod name? How about Rythalite or Saronite? Just a thought…

Cairenn 08-29-12 09:56 PM

Be very very careful in how you approach this, given that Carbonite is (for all intents and purposes) ARR licensed.

Balthizar 08-29-12 10:09 PM

Thankyou for identfying which license this mod is under so I might provide a better, more specific work around. Only having access via iPhone at the moment does cause some difficulties :)

Rythal 08-29-12 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 261054)
Be very very careful in how you approach this, given that Carbonite is (for all intents and purposes) ARR licensed.

aye... from what I think he was trying to say, is to do a kickstarter to get some developers, and do the entire thing from scratch starting with the map...doing a google style map in WoW is not a license or trademark violation if it's done using no part of the original carbonite code, especially since carbonite is not the only addon to do it (just the only one still updated for it). Then from there work on adding back in features people want / need as plugins like xloot and DBM do.

It would work, it would just be a huge undertaking.

-----

on another side note, the icon for lfr/lfd/bg's is fixed... i'm just trying to also fix the non-updating quest messages before I upload it to avoid things getting confusing with so many versions. It will definately be up tonight tho reguardless if I get the quest complete messages working with blizzards POI's or not.

sgtevmckay 08-29-12 11:47 PM

Quote:

Can someone direct a link to me, so that I may review the carbonite license agreement.
Seem to have a problem finding any licensing at this time

Found it:

CARBONITE
Copyright 2007-2012 Carbon Based Creations, LLC
CARBONITE(tm) is a registered trademark of Carbon Based Creations, LLC.

----------------------------------------------------------
Enable word wrap to more easily view this file.

LICENSE AGREEMENT

PLEASE READ THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("AGREEMENT") CAREFULLY AND MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT.
The accompanying executable code version of CARBONITE and related documentation ("Software") is made available under the terms and conditions of this Agreement. IF YOU INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT, YOU CONSENT TO BE BOUND BY THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS HEREIN, DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THIS PRODUCT.

LICENSE. The Software is protected by copyright laws, trade secret, and international copyright treaties, and is being licensed to You according to the terms of this Agreement. Carbon Based Creations, LLC ("Company") grants to You a non-exclusive and non-transferable right to install and use a copy of the Software for Your personal, non-commercial home entertainment use on one personal computer. The Software made available under this Agreement is licensed, not sold, to You by Company. Company reserves all rights not expressly granted under this Agreement.

Except to the extent that Company otherwise authorizes You in writing, the following restrictions shall apply:

(1) You may not use the Software for any commercial purposes, including resale, rental, lease, display, or offering on a pay-per-play or other for-charge basis. You may not sub-license the rights provided to You.

(2) The Software (in both object and source code forms) constitutes valuable trade secret information of Company, and You may not reverse-engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software or otherwise attempt to gain access to the source code for the Software.

(3) You may make a single archival copy of the Software to the extent permitted by law. You may not otherwise reproduce the Software, or modify or distribute all or any portion of the Software. You shall not provide copies of the Software to any other party. You may not create derivative works from the Software.

(4) No right, title or interest in or to any trademark, service mark, logo or trade name of Company or of any third parties is granted under this Agreement. You may not remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright, or other proprietary notice(s) on the Software.

TERMINATION: This Agreement is effective until terminated. If You breach this Agreement, the license and Your right to use the Software will terminate immediately and without notice, but all other terms of this Agreement will survive termination and continue in effect. Upon termination, You will immediately cease using the Software and You must destroy all copies of the Software in Your possession or control.

EXPORT. You agree that You will not export the Software or any part thereof, except in accordance with all applicable U.S. export restrictions.

U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. The Software is commercial computer software and documentation developed by Company and belonging solely to Company. If the Software is acquired by or on behalf of the U.S. Government or by a U.S. government prime contractor or a subcontractor, then the Government's rights in the Software will be only as set forth in this Agreement; this is in accordance with 48 C.F.R. 227.7202-4 or successor regulation (for Department of Defense (DOD) acquisitions) and with 48 C.F.R. 2.101 and 12.212 or successor regulation (for non-DOD acquisitions).

GOVERNING LAW AND VENUE. This Agreement is governed by the laws of the State of Illinois, excluding its choice of law rules. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods shall not apply. In any action or suit to enforce any right or remedy under this Agreement or to interpret any of its provisions, the state or federal courts located in the State of Illinois shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any such suit or action, and You hereby agree to submit to the jurisdiction of such courts.

NO WARRANTY. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", "AT YOUR OWN RISK", AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, COMPANY HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO THE SOFTWARE. COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE IS ERROR-FREE OR THAT ACCESS TO THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED AND WITHOUT COMPROMISE TO SECURITY SYSTEMS.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, COMPANY WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST REVENUE, LOST PROFIT, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OR LOSS OF DATA, COMPUTER MALFUNCTION, OR FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, HOWEVER CAUSED AND REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DAMAGES ARE FORESEEABLE. IN NO EVENT WILL COMPANY'S LIABILITY TO YOU, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNT, IF ANY, PAID BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE UNDER THIS AGREEMENT. THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY EVEN IF THE ABOVE STATED WARRANTY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. BECAUSE SOME STATES AND/OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

SEVERABILITY/NO WAIVER. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable, this Agreement will remain in effect with the provision omitted, unless omission would frustrate the intent of the parties, in which case this Agreement will immediately terminate. Failure to enforce any provision of this Agreement is not a waiver of future enforcement of that or any other provision.

Balthizar 08-29-12 11:47 PM

Quote:

* *After reviewing the contract I was able to pull from the GitHub project site, I found that the contract was a generic form which did not contain the developers company name in the description, only in the title. After reading it, I had a sinking feeling that it seemed odd that blizzard would allow a mod to have a license agreement seeing as the code used in Carbonite only functions within World of Warcraft.
* *To make sure I had my facts straight, I accessed the online edition of the terms of service for Blizzard and World of Warcraft. Reading through them, I found that the User Agreement made by the developers is not a legally binding document due to the fact that Blizzard’s terms supersede this agreement, nullifying it. As per their included statement quoted below:

“SEVERABILITY/NO WAIVER. *If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable, this Agreement will remain in effect with the provision omitted, unless omission would frustrate the intent of the parties, in which case this Agreement will immediately terminate. *Failure to enforce any provision of this Agreement is not a waiver of future enforcement of that or any other provision.”

To explain my position I have included the applicable segments of the TOC from Blizzard and how they impact the “Agreement” from the Carbonite developers team.

C. use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, “mines,” or otherwise collects information from or through the Game or the Service, including without limitation any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Game to store information about a character or the game environment; provided, however, that Blizzard may, at its sole and absolute discretion, allow the use of certain third party user interfaces;

In this line, Blizzard states that they may allow add-ons, macros and modifications to the game client at their discretion. Those of us who have played long enough should remember when models were being re-skinned using MPQ mods and the fateful day in which blizzard threw down their mighty iron boot and squashed these mods out of existence. Mods are only permitted by Blizzard because they do not find them to be damaging to their intended game experience.

All rights and title in and to the Service (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialogue, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, “applets,” transcripts of the chat rooms, character profile information, recordings of games) are owned by Blizzard or its licensors. The Game and the Service are protected by United States and international laws, and may contain certain licensed materials in which Blizzard’s licensors may enforce their rights in the event of any violation of this Agreement.

* *At this point in the TOC Blizzard is clearly stating that they own any and all things associated with World of Warcraft unless they have specifically given licensor rights to a company for their use. The development team for Carbonite does not indicate any sort of agreement with Blizzard. In fact, on their website at the bottom of each page they have a disclaimer stating the exact opposite.

“World of Warcraft” and “WOW” are trademarks owned by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. This Website and the Carbonite Add-on are not endorsed by or affiliated with Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.

in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game; provided, however, that you may make one (1) copy of the Game Client and the Manuals for archival purposes only;

Clearly here the construction of the Carbonite addon has broken the TOC. *Simply by deriving source code from the game for the mod they have invalidated themselves.

* *In closing, no addon developer is allowed to license their code, charge for their mod’s use or attempt to derive proprietary rights from their work on these types of files. Addons only exist because Blizzard allows them to exist. A program written using proprietary information from a software company cannot, in any way shape or form, create a legal license for itself unless permitted to via written consent from the parent company.

If anyone can find fault in this or can sight something to disprove me then I would love to see it because I would like to end this debate once and for all. We have had to tiptoe around something which should be free and open for everyone.

Cairenn 08-29-12 11:58 PM

Balthizar, no. Just, no. I'm sorry, but you are just incorrect in your interpretations. AddOns are the intellectual property of their creators and they are automatically copyright protected to the author at the moment of their creation. The author may use any license they like, Blizzard has no say in the matter.

Cairenn 08-30-12 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 261057)
aye... from what I think he was trying to say, is to do a kickstarter to get some developers, and do the entire thing from scratch starting with the map...doing a google style map in WoW is not a license or trademark violation if it's done using no part of the original carbonite code, especially since carbonite is not the only addon to do it (just the only one still updated for it). Then from there work on adding back in features people want / need as plugins like xloot and DBM do.

It would work, it would just be a huge undertaking.

-----

on another side note, the icon for lfr/lfd/bg's is fixed... i'm just trying to also fix the non-updating quest messages before I upload it to avoid things getting confusing with so many versions. It will definately be up tonight tho reguardless if I get the quest complete messages working with blizzards POI's or not.

I know, I was just reminding you to be careful. Would hate to see you get in trouble. :)

TULOA 08-30-12 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 261069)
Balthizar, no. Just, no. I'm sorry, but you are just incorrect in your interpretations. AddOns are the intellectual property of their creators and they are automatically copyright protected to the author at the moment of their creation. The author may use any license they like, Blizzard has no say in the matter.

Yes but I would hope they have an actual copyright to the work through the proper channels.

Some people think its immediately given and all work can be protected by court and in most cases this is false.

sctprog 08-30-12 12:06 AM

That's not how licensing works. If the license is deemed invalid or otherwise revoked, it falls back to basic copyright, in which case you simply can not legally use, modify or transmit the work at all.

All work is automatically copy-written, you don't need to register it with a third party.

BillieJackFu 08-30-12 12:07 AM

Rythal,

Did you take down your link, because when I try to download it I get an error, when I try to "Save Link As" I get an empty archive?

Rythal 08-30-12 12:08 AM

without getting to far into detail on the legal aspect of it, it falls down to one simple thing:

They wrote the code. Just like a book, or artwork, or movie they as the creators have all legal rights over what happens to it. They said they do not want any derivatives of the code in the terms they include with it. If they had included GNU public or some other opensource type agreement with it things would be different. They put a lot of work into it over the years, and deserve for us to respect whatever they chose to do with it. (I know.. I've already broken it... but that is why we are hopeful they will allow the fan update if they are not already working on an update themselves which they very well could be for all we know.)

They chose what license their intellectual property would be distributed under, and we must live with that and try to avoid / keep the third parties like MMOUI out of it, they don't need the headache from it if this all goes south on us / me.