WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legion Beta archived threads (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Anyone running on linux/wine? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53442)

Pyrates 05-15-16 04:58 AM

Anyone running on linux/wine?

Hey there!

Anyone running the Legion Beta on wine? It "works", in the sense that it starts up, but the game seems partially upside down, partially moved out of the screen... Tried fiddling with both opengl and d3d to no avail. Anyone got that working? Thanks for any pointers!

(e) The furthest I've got is with using opengl on the 64bit client, see https://imgur.com/NMZnk7t ... seems to be reflected both up-down and left-right at the same time, which is a kinda weird error...

Seerah 05-15-16 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrates (Post 314811)
seems to be reflected both up-down and left-right at the same time, which is a kinda weird error...

I don't see a horizontal reflection there, just a vertical one.

Pyrates 05-15-16 02:47 PM

You are right! I just assumed because I couldn't read stuff when I turned my head that it couldn't be just a vertical reflection... but of course I can't reflect my head, silly me :banana:

Still though, makes weird gameplay. I'd need to put the cursor where the button is supposed to be to highlight it (i.e. in the screenie, my cursor is on the lower border).

Predicate 05-18-16 07:50 AM

For what it's worth, I'm running the beta in dx9 mode under wine 1.7.45 (staging) with CSMT and the Gallium Nine patch. It works flawlessly (even the 64-bit client, which is broken on live!), but performance isn't quite what I'd like. What graphics hardware/driver are you using?

Pyrates 05-19-16 09:07 AM

I'm using wine-1.9.6 with some sort of patch for http connectivity (not sure now anymore, but my original wine 1.6.2 was broken, and this patch was floating around the interwebs). I have a somewhat old nvidia card (gtx 260) with drivers version 340.93-r1 (the newer ones don't support my card...). I'll try your setup, I don't mind performance for now, thanks for the hint!

Pyrates 05-19-16 12:11 PM

Damn, didn't work :( Orientation is ok with d3d, but my mouse is caught in the lower left corner... maybe my drivers are too old, I did plan on getting a new card soon anyways.

(e) Hey yeah, wiggling the mouse heavily frees it, so it works, thanks a lot! Performance is abysmal, but sufficient for my basic addon development :)

Predicate 05-19-16 02:10 PM

Glad you were able to get somewhere with it. If the older drivers are causing you issues, you might want to try the open source driver (nouveau) instead? Not sure I can offer much more help than that, I haven't used nVidia cards in years.

kaimox 07-20-16 01:35 AM

Predicate, would you mind telling a bit more?
You are on AMD? Could you tell which card and driver? Which distro? Where did you get Gallium Nine from? I'm on Debian and I could not find a download for Radeon and Wine compiled with Gallium Nine support.

Barleduq 07-20-16 01:48 AM

Have you tried changing the environment?

When I first started up after the patch, I had an entirely black screen. Sound worked, no visual.

Something that was mentioned on the blizz fora was to go into winecfg and set the environment for battle.net app to be XP.

Even tho I launch wow from CLI, that made it so it showed up visually.

No clue if that will help you, but might be worth trying.

p3lim 07-20-16 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barleduq (Post 316602)
When I first started up after the patch, I had an entirely black screen.

Press escape.

Barleduq 07-20-16 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p3lim (Post 316609)
Press escape.

The black screen continued after the cinematic was over. I got all the incidental music, and no visual. Clicking in small increments over the two lower corners of the screen produced no reaction, nor did hitting tab and typing in my password. As I said, going into winecfg and telling it to put battle.net into the winxp environment worked. (Even tho it was already set to that, clicking all the things to make it believe that again made it work.)

Goldpaw 08-01-16 10:10 AM

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 16.04, with Gallium Nine. Both my Radeon drivers and Wine is patched. Had to jump through a few hoops to get there though, and what I could find written down probably doesnt' cover it. Still.

To get the AMD drivers with built-in Gallium Nine (and Direct3D) support:
Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install mesa-vdpau-drivers

I then had to modify (or actually create) my xorg.conf file to override what driver was being loaded by my system, since Ubuntu Mate 16.04 doesn't include the option to choose 3rd party GPU drivers for my card anymore through the normal "additional drivers" interface.

This I put in my '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file:
Code:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "radeon"
  Driver "radeon"
  Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

I then installed the patched version of Wine:
Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:commendsarnex/winedri3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install wine1.9

Did a few restarts here and there to make sure everything was loaded, then fired up winecfg for my new wine installation and made sure the option to enable Gallium Nine was enabled.

I'm also using the following line to run my Legion Beta client:
env WINEDEBUG=-all wine64 '/whatever-your-path-is/World of Warcraft/WowB-64.exe' -d3d9

And you should replace the file path with whatever yours is, ofc. The -d3d9 option makes sure it starts with DirectX9, which is important, because Legion starts with DirectX11 as default, and that will REALLY mess things up! :o

This is all I could find, hope it helps you in some way. At least it includes the repositories to both the Gallium Nine Radeon driver and the patched Wine version! Hope that at least can help point anybody looking in the right direction! :)

Edit:
Also a few overrides needed for libraries in winecfg, though I believe those are covered in the winehq app database for Legion. Google it! :D

Phanx 08-02-16 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldpaw (Post 317282)
This is all I could find, hope it helps you in some way. At least it includes the repositories to both the Gallium Nine Radeon driver and the patched Wine version! Hope that at least can help point anybody looking in the right direction! :)

Edit:
Also a few overrides needed for libraries in winecfg, though I believe those are covered in the winehq app database for Legion. Google it! :D

I'm using Linux Mint 17.3 (based on Ubuntu 14.04) with an nVidia GeForce 750 Ti. The drivers installed from nVidia's site work fine (I don't think there's a repository for them). I didn't need any Wine patches, though I'm already using the staging branch of Wine from the wine/wine-builds PPA.

For the Battle.net App (really hate that thing) the only overrides I needed to set were application overrides for "Battle.net.exe", "Battle.net Helper.exe", and "Battle.net Launcher.exe" to run in Windows XP mode. Some library overrides were automatically set when I installed vcrun2005 and vcrun2008 with winetricks, which are also required only for the Battle.net App and not for WoW itself; I did not need to manually set any library overrides, including the ones mentioned on WineHQ.

However, since the Curse Client only works about 30% of the time under Wine (even after setting up a separate 32-bit Wine prefix and installing all the .NET updates with winetricks, it frequently freezes shortly after launching, and the only way to restore functionality is to manually remove all of its files and let it reinstall itself on the next launch), I just set up a Win7 virtual machine in VirtualBox to run that, so realistically I could also use that to run the Battle.net App and update WoW when needed. Normally I just start Wow-64.exe directly, since the Battle.net App takes 1-5 minutes to "initialize" WoW and install some imaginary micro-update to WoW every time it starts or WoW exits. This isn't a Wine issue, either, or related to WoW being installed on an FUSE (NTFS) drive, because I had the same annoyance in Win7 before switching to Linux.

Now I just need to figure out how to replicate my AutoHotkey script to launch WoW and autotype my password under Linux...

Dridzt 08-02-16 03:19 AM

For Ubuntu and Ubuntu-compatible distros you can
Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Check for latest version number (3 digits) here:
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
or
Code:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-
and use tab-completion to see available versions.
Finally
Code:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-xxx
where xxx the latest version number you want to install.
This is for Nvidia, I saw there's an AMD version above.

Goldpaw 08-04-16 11:12 AM

battle.net app

When it comest to Battle.Net app, it has had a lot of problems lately under Wine. After much headache they appear to have found the solution on the winehq app database page for it.

I've copied the contents of the link down below, but it might change in future builds, so always smart to check what the appdb says.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sClass=version

As of July 29 2016
Battle.net Patch 1.4.3 Build 7730
Wine 1.9.15

These steps are required:
  1. Install Core TTF Fonts from Microsoft
    Arch: aur/ttf-ms-fonts
    Debian/Ubuntu: contrib/ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    openSUSE: fetchmsttfonts

Reboot may be necessary for changes to take effect.
    Alternatively you can install corefonts using winetricks
    winetricks corefonts
    --
  2. Open winecfg. Go to Libraries tab and add libraries with default (native, builtin) setting
    api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
    api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0.dll
    api-ms-win-crt-convert-l1-1-0.dll
    api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll
    api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0.dll
    api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0.dll
    ucrtbase.dll
    vcruntime140.dll

Alternatively you can install vcrun2015 using winetricks
    winetricks vcrun2015
    --
  3. Download latest Battle.net installer