WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Suggestions - Help A Guy Out! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23541)

PerfectH 05-12-09 06:00 PM

Music Suggestions - Help A Guy Out!

Ok so my Zune library is looking pretty sad. I like music a lot but I'm having a hard time finding tunes these days that I can really listen to over and over. I have less than 300 songs on my Zune at the moment, and to some of my friends that's blasphemy.

So, what I would like to know is what do you all listen to or recommend for me to listen to? I normally like to find music on my own, but my idea's have come to a screeching halt.

What I like:
Classic Rock
90's Rock
Techno
Trance
Dance
Video Game
Pop (little)
Alternative (not the new stuff)

What I DON'T like:
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
"Emo-Screamo"
Anything you might hear on the Disney Channel

Thanks in advance!

bknab 05-12-09 06:26 PM

If you don't know about it already Pandora is pretty cool, I really like it for finding new music.

As for newer rock, Chevelle is one band I never get sick of. I also really like Audioslave.

Classic Rock I don't even know where to start. I'll just list stuff I like off the top of my head, Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Yardbirds, Rush, The Rolling Stones, Cheap Trick, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Eric Clapton.... I could go on and on and on.

I do like trance, but that can be hit and miss for me, I usually try to stick with compilations, especially the sort that are continuous.

As for Dance, check out the Ministry of Sound, they have awesome dance comps.

Wish I could come up with some more right now but I gotta get going. Good luck with your music search.

MidgetMage55 05-12-09 06:36 PM

Not that its much of a suggestion in terms of quantity. You should check out oysterhead if you havent. They only have one CD but that was intentional. It features Trey Anastasio from Phish, Les Claypool from Primus and (interestingly enough) Stewart Copeland from The Police. Its pretty interesting mix. You can hear the influences from all 3 in the music. Cd is called The Grand Pecking Order.

Also for the gamer (music) fan there is The Black Mages. They are the band of Nobuo Uematsu who is widely known for his work in the Final Fantasy series of games as the primary composer. They basically do most of the music he composed for the various FF titles as well as some other stuff hes worked on. Pretty Epic stuff.

Figured id try aiming a little off the beaten path with suggestions. Ill post more as they come to me. Hope they helped a little =)

OttoDeFe 05-12-09 07:03 PM

Try a listen to Lal Meri, Niyaz (Indo-Persian Electronica sort o' thing), Alien Chatter (more Jazz like) and perhaps Carmen Rizzo.

Not for everyone, I know, but still nice. Also heard a good dance band from Portugal called Buraka Som Sistema on The World on the way home if you like Kuduro.

Farm Fresh 05-12-09 07:10 PM

If you like video game music and techno, I can give you a combo that'll blow your mind, especially if you played/liked the Doom games. The Dark Side of Phobos. Some great stuff. Check it out. Might be your cup of tea.

Seerah 05-12-09 08:45 PM

I have widely varying music tastes, and have a little of everything in my collection. Here are some you might be familiar with, or not. You might like, or not... :)

Check out Globus, specifically Preliator. If you want to listen to the whole song set to FF cinematics, see here.

Can never go wrong with a little Nine Inch Nails...

If you wish to try a little minimalism, try Philip Glass. Koyaanisqatsi is a classic.

This blog is all about music suggestions: http://www.digitalcitrus.com/ I have found some good stuff there. Sigur Rós is mentioned on there, too, which is a great band from Iceland.

Check out Badly Drawn Boy.

Justin Avery (we always said he'd be famous in high school)

Other stuff in my collection that may not fall into your "don't like" list or that you may not have heard before...
Beck
Billy Joel
Bjork
Brian Setzer Orchestra
Cesaria Evora
David Bowie
The Gladiator Soundtrack ("The Battle" is exceptionally cool)
Louis Armstrong ("We Have All the Time in the World" or - especially this - "What A Wonderful World")
Monty Python
Moody Blues
Moxy Fruvous
"This is Halloween" from The Nightmare Before Christmas
Procol Harum - "A Whiter Shade of Pale"
Radiohead
Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack
Rusted Root
Talking Heads
The Crystal Method
plus random classic rock, jazz, world music, etc, etc.

Verissi 05-12-09 09:52 PM

Whenever I'm in a bad mood or had an awful raid night, I always turn to swing and big band. I don't know why, but it just turns my mood around.

I don't listen to music too much (I'm more of a movie buff), but I've been in the same situation that you're describing lately: I'm just sick of everything I usually listen to. I've decided to poke into my archives a bit for some old (real) jazz, blues, and even classical, which seems to be a great change of pace. Stray a bit from your normal genre preferences and you might find something new that you like.

Oh, and Seerah, most of your list of favourites is eerily similar to mine :p

Seerah 05-12-09 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verissi (Post 135592)
Oh, and Seerah, most of your list of favourites is eerily similar to mine :p

Oh, there was TONS that I didn't list. ;) I definitely have lots of classical in my collection (being a classically trained music teacher and all), and then have other stuff like country, *some* rap, hip hop, dance, rock, pop, alternative, jazz, big band, reggae, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Yhor 05-12-09 11:46 PM

First girl I've ever seen to actually list Radiohead as something they listen too. You, Seerah, are full of /win. ~80% of your list is awesome, but I had to note that.

Zyonin 05-13-09 12:07 AM

Let's see. The OPs "Dislikes" list pretty much mirrors mine so I should be able to stay out of that swamp

Favs that get's listened to over and over again;

Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Nine Inch Nails - all of them, some of the recent stuff is quite interesting plus its free!
Final Fantasy OST Remixed - from OCRemix.com
Paul Oakenfold
Tiësto - Parade of the Athletes, the tracks Tiësto played during the Parade of Athletes from the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens
Sarah Brightman - Eden, No Time to Say Goodbye, SB is one of my favorite female singers
Soundgarden - the song "Black Hole Sun" still resonants in this cavern I call my skull.
Noir OST - soundtrack for the anime "Noir". The composer Kajiura Yuki mixes different styles of music to create a wonderful auditory landscape
Ayumi - Cyber TRANCE presents Ayu Trance 2, trance remixes of Japanese artist, Ayumi Hamisaki's songs. Great stuff
Metallica and the San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra - S&M, Metallica combine with a full symphony orchestra? Yah, that's the ticket. Master of Puppets with a full string section is awesome.
U2
Noel W. Sanger - Trance II (Trans) A State Of Altered Consciousness
Robert Mirabel - Native American artist who uses a combo of classical strings and Native American drums and flutes. Plus he is from the same tribe as me, Taos Pueblo :D
The Prodigy
Moby
Airwave
Chicane
Pakito
Ministry
Juno Reactor
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pearl Jam
Nirvana - Nevermind, In Utero, Unplugged (recorded live at MTV's Unplugged set). I grew up on the Seattle sound. It's like mother's milk to me.
Led Zepplin
Megadeth
Guns 'N Roses - "Welcome to the Jungle" still brings back memories as that was my high school wrestling team's theme song. I imagine the Green Chain still uses that song.
The Eagles - Hotel California
Mikro - Greek dance/techno group

More later...

Sepioth 05-13-09 01:02 AM

I'm a big Metallica fan .. like most of there Albums .. most :)

A friend of mine suggested a band called Lacuna Coil to me recently. The vocalist is female and the are a Rock/Metal/Gothic band from Italy. The vocalist reminds me of Evanescence.

My music tastes are extremely open to just about anything. I don't think there is a genre I don't listen too. But metal is my top genre :)

Some stuff on my iPhone right now:

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Alice Cooper
Alice In Chains
Anthrax
Avril Lavigne
Bad Religion
Beastie Boys
Beck
Billy Idol
Black Label Society
Sabbath
Bon Jovi
Coldplay
Cyndi Lauper
David Bowie
Devo
Dropkick Murphys
Eagles
Eminem
Evanescence
Faith No More
Lacuna Coil
Megadeath
Metallica
Ministry
No Doubt
Pixies
Queen
R.E.M.
Spice Girls
Tenacious D
The Killers
U2
Usher
"Weird Al" Yankovic
Will Smith

And this is only a fraction of my music collection. :D

MidgetMage55 05-13-09 01:32 AM

Lacuna Coil is pretty interesting. They actually have 2 vocalists (or did and they were husband and wife at one point or another).

Some more ideas came to mind after seeing Seerah mention Brian Setzer. Theres always his original band the stray cats. If you like brass instruments in your bands theres also Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Royal Crown Revue. Both are big brass swing bands. Hell you can even toss in a little Mighty Mighty Bosstones. If you like old school Ska you can check out The Specials.

Can also go with come classic Parliment Funkadelic. A little P-Funk never hurt anyone :D

A co-worker also swears by a band called Chronicles of Israfel mainly due to the guitarist Dominic Cifarelli if your in to the Progressive Metal thing.

Just tossing more ideas at you. Id list my personal favorite bands but unfortunately im big in to death metal and other vocal stylings your not keen on =P

Ill think of a few more as the ideas hit me. :D

tralkar 05-13-09 08:04 AM

Quote:

Anything you might hear on the Disney Channel
LOL, i can't stop hehe.

us2006027321 05-13-09 08:12 AM

I've not seen these pop up on your list yet:

Digital (everyone pretty much hit the good stuff):

E Nomine
Apocolyptica (aka: Apocalyptica)
Paul van Dyk

Old School Goodness (and something like it):

Artie Shaw
Count Basie
Cole Porter
The Manhattan Transfer
Duke Ellington
Billie Holiday
Django Reinhardt
Louis Armostrong
Dorris Day
Art Tatum
Dizzy Gilespie
Stan Getz
Indigo Swing

Taryble 05-13-09 11:15 AM

Makes me sad. A bad sector on one of my HDD's wiped out my entire "D" subfolder in my mp3 folders. Goodbye Dropkick Murphies. :(

I listen to a lot of irish/celtic flavored music - some folk, some pop, and some punk, with heavy irish influence. Dropkick Murphies (boston irish punk), Flogging Molly (Dublin punk irish), Great Big Sea (Canadian folk pop), for example.

Some of my other favorites were mentioned above - Metallica, Moxy Fruvous, and others.

Here's some I didn't see.
DaVinci's Notebook (comedy pop - songs like "title of the song")
Diana Krall (Jazz)
Marti Jones (Jazz/Adult Contemp)
Mighty Mighty Bosstones (oh, wait, they were mentioned)
The Who (Mmmm, classic rock)
The Atomic Fireballs (swing)
Cherry Poppin' Daddies (more swing)