WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   AddOn Authors Permission Needed in Bulk (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24645)

Tearstar 06-10-09 03:55 AM

AddOn Authors Permission Needed in Bulk

Greetings AddOn Authors and welcome,

I just recently got into addon code, and I have since been able to modify a great deal of my Interface with lots of addons, some addons with small minor code adjustments such as a Chat string I didn't like the output on I changed, nothing to change what the addons does nor have I modified anyones code to remove identifying or notability marks, just cosmetics. I believe my last scan of my addon folder reported 392 addons installed, My project is the UI of UIs. suitable for minimalist just by toggling off the unwanted addons yet fully capable for the graphic enthusiasts. The UI with everything anyone would every need for any class, no matter if your a PvP'er, a Soloist, A Raider, Achievement/Quest/Pet Horder . . . This UI will have everything available just by toggling the addons on the list . . . completely character specific.

Most of the addons I have found here on WoWI and 90% of them are as "author has originally coded" no modification needed to make it work right, no modification to change a frame scale or alpha . . . they were great out of the box with enough features and user config settings and my hats go off to each author . . . *clap* . . . clap* . . .clap*

Now here is where the Authors Permission comes in. To really make my idea work I need a way to show a "not so addon familiar" user which addons are similar and should not be used with a certain other addon running as far as this interface. So What I would like to do is Change all the "Title Colors" in all the addons to "color-code" them. So like Pitbull, Xperl, ag_ , and any other UnitFrame addon those titles would be one color, so the user would know that only one set in this color group should be activated. While Map Mods would be another color group.

So should I post a list of the ones I'm currently using and hope they come here and "sign" the thread saying it's ok to change the color of the addon title for this UI project, or would it be better just to ask each WoWI hosted author to give permission to do so and then me pull from the threads to change the ones who say yes, and probably add in some addons I didn't know about that might replace an addon who's author didn't sign? Or get everybody I can to sign that is an author and then if I see their addon later I already have the permission.

The files that I have modified I will contact their authors directly to specifically explain what was changed in the code and why and make sure I have the permission needed to use said modified code.

Now I know someone is gonna say "What if I don't want this or that addon" or "what if you don't have the one I like" . . . each addon is swappable with another. I'm just creating a UI with as many of them in one interface as I can and let me tell you . . . you wouldn't believe what this thing can do. -edited-My layout and design skills might not be the best, but I have a good collection of older and newer addons that I think all work well together.-/edited-

So in summary:

Do I have your permission?

Katae 06-10-09 04:49 AM

tbh, you'd have a better chance to get authors' attention by sending a pm ;)

Tearstar 06-10-09 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katae (Post 142397)
tbh, you'd have a better chance to get authors' attention by sending a pm ;)

so you want me to send out approximately 300 pms . . . to ask them all for one thing? Let me correct my speaking because your not telling me to do it this way, your just letting me know that not all that many authors read these. Thank you for that, but aren't you an author?

Waverian 06-10-09 05:31 AM

The best solution is to not try to create a UI to fill every person's needs, because when you try it rarely fills anybody's needs. A well designed UI isn't plug and play, it's comprised of conscious design decisions.

jaliborc 06-10-09 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tearstar (Post 142401)
so you want me to send out approximately 300 pms . . . to ask them all for one thing? Let me correct my speaking because your not telling me to do it this way, your just letting me know that not all that many authors read these. Thank you for that, but aren't you an author?

Yes he wants, and I agree with him. You should ask to every author of the addons you're "hacking".

Grimsin 06-10-09 08:05 AM

Everyone is aware that bliz's changes to the AddOn rules not to long ago basically makes it where you don't really need to get permission anymore? Since no WOW AddOn can be copy righted or protected. Anyhow not that i think you should use other peoples work without asking and i defiantly do not agree with blizzards changes, but there are simpler ways of going about this.

If your not actually going to change the code in some of them i would just list mention of them somewhere in your download similar to what i did for my compilation. Your right trying to PM all 200 some odd authors of all the AddOns in my compilation would be ludicrous.

Notice that there is special mention for those AddOns i have changed the code in and for those people who have helped me one way or another with the coding.

Samsan 06-10-09 08:18 AM

Text Color

If you're only planning on changing the color to group them, why not just add a text string with the assigned color per group linking the name of the mod to that color coded group, that way you don't have to change the mods. :) just a thought and my $2 worth...lol

Tristanian 06-10-09 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimsin (Post 142438)
Everyone is aware that bliz's changes to the AddOn rules not to long ago basically makes it where you don't really need to get permission anymore? Since no WOW AddOn can be copy righted or protected.

Incorrect. Addons are copyrighted by default the moment the code is written as pretty much any other creation and they are the intellectual property of their authors. Just because their code is readable does not imply that the addons are open source. Blizzard's policy simply requires that addons are "free of charge", if you intend to use them in their sandbox, meaning that an author is unable to require monetary compensation of any form, or even charge for "premium" versions. Donations are still allowed by the policy, as long as they are not advertised ingame.

Quote:

Your right trying to PM all 200 some odd authors of all the AddOns in my compilation would be ludicrous.
It is certainly inconvenient, yet if you do not secure permission to redistribute an altered version of their work, you are opening a huge can of worms, as it is well within author's rights to ask you to remove their addon(s) from any compilations you are distributing (for whatever reason). This only applies to addons that are not distributed under a GPL or any other kind of open source license, that explicitly allows redistribution and/or distribution of modified versions. At any case, the best course of action, is to always secure permission, when possible.

Vis 06-10-09 08:25 AM

Quote:

Everyone is aware that bliz's changes to the AddOn rules not to long ago basically makes it where you don't really need to get permission anymore? Since no WOW AddOn can be copy righted or protected.

Just to clarify on this one point. That statement is false. Addons cannot charge money for their use/access etc, but there is absolutely nothing stating they are not Copyrighted works.

Petrah 06-10-09 08:37 AM

Quote:

I think you have misunderstood the new addon policy Blizzard put in place. An addon is legally copyrighted from the moment of it's creation. Blizzard Entertainment has absolutely no say whatsoever in this.

Grimsin 06-10-09 08:38 AM

I will have to go back and read it again but it would certainly appear as though bliz is saying that addons created for WOW are basically their property and that we do not hold any sort of valid copyright to them. Anyhow im not debating what bliz says or that you should or should not ask permission. Just stating there is an easier way to go about it then to PM all the authors.

Especially if you are NOT modifying their code. If you are modifying the code well... that's a dif story then.

Petrah 06-10-09 08:40 AM

The policy doesn't imply anything like that.

Grimsin 06-10-09 08:59 AM

Hmm well the place i had originally read it is gone now and this is the official WOW page http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html about it and your correct they do not imply that there.

Anyhow like i said im not here to debate what bliz said or didn't say or how exactly it implies. Either way i dont agree with bliz. You should be able to charge for your addons, hide your code from the public, and for that mater what ever else you would like to do with your own code. But once again im not here to argue this. A few people here already know how i feel about blizzards policy's on addons.

Simply put i would ask for permission if your going to change other peoples addons code and redistribute it.
If your simply redistributing i personally dont see it as a problem and was advised by WOWI that giving do mention would be adequate.

Hirsute 06-10-09 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimsin (Post 142452)
I will have to go back and read it again but it would certainly appear as though bliz is saying that addons created for WOW are basically their property and that we do not hold any sort of valid copyright to them. Anyhow im not debating what bliz says or that you should or should not ask permission. Just stating there is an easier way to go about it then to PM all the authors.

Especially if you are NOT modifying their code. If you are modifying the code well... that's a dif story then.

This is just flat out wrong. Blizzard did not assert any ownership of addons, the copyright on the addons, nor did it dictate how an addon must be licensed. All Blizzard did was notify people the conditions under which they would prevent an addon from operating in WoW.

Elhana 06-10-09 09:12 AM

If it is just a .toc file - you don't have to ask any permission.

If you are actually hacking addon - check licenses. If they are using opensource license, you don't have to ask.

Grimsin 06-10-09 09:17 AM

Why would you not need to ask about modifying the .toc file?

Hirsute 06-10-09 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elhana (Post 142463)
If it is just a .toc file - you don't have to ask any permission.

This is also incorrect. All files included in an addon are copyright to the addon author, and permission must be sought for any modification, distribution, or reproduction that is not explicitly permitted by the license of the addon. This includes the toc, the lua and any other files included with the addon.

Quote:

If you are actually hacking addon - check licenses. If they are using opensource license, you don't have to ask.
This is *generally* true. Most OSI licenses allow users 100% freedom with the covered work. Some license, like the LGPL, however, are not quite as open, so you'll want to check what rights the license permits to the users and what rights it reserves for the author specifically, rather than making assumptions due to the "type" of license it is.

Tearstar 06-10-09 10:48 AM

Exatcly what I didn't want to happen with this thread, happened . . .

How did we get from me asking permission to change an author .toc Title line and adding or changing a color tag. To debating the policy . . . My thing is I don't care what Blizz's policy is on asking, I don't care about if I HAVE to ask or NOT, I don't care if addons are allowed to charge money . . . point is, Im doing the right thing and asking all the authors if I can add in or change an existing color tag to the .toc file. One line . . .what 10 characters or so

These are in the unmoded addons. Modded addons I will ask specificly.

Just if you are an authhor and you don't mind me changing the color of your addons title in my compilation, could you please either pm me or add a post saying I can change the color of X, y, z addons by you.

That's all I need and I get 15 posts depating on if I need permission and questioning why I want to do so . . .

I never asked or questioned why any author/compilation designer did what they did in their work.

Just post if I have permission, pass on by if I don't

it's simple

tinyu 06-10-09 11:12 AM

i think most author dont like compilations for the simple reason that it takes users away from their download pages, i mean if your gonna upload a compilation of almost 400 mods then why would people want to goto 30+ mod pages when they can get them all in the one download?

Im not saying all users are like this, i myself do not download compilations i download the individual mods them selves so the author gets the credit.

Edit: also in regards to modifying mods, im pretty sure if its going to be for your own personal use then i dont think thats a problem just dont release it :D

Hirsute 06-10-09 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tearstar (Post 142488)
Im doing the right thing and asking all the authors if I can add in or change an existing color tag to the .toc file. One line . . .what 10 characters or so

These are in the unmoded addons. Modded addons I will ask specificly.

If you made changes to the toc, it isn't an unmodded addon.

Quote:

Just if you are an authhor and you don't mind me changing the color of your addons title in my compilation, could you please either pm me or add a post saying I can change the color of X, y, z addons by you.

That's all I need and I get 15 posts depating on if I need permission and questioning why I want to do so . . .

I never asked or questioned why any author/compilation designer did what they did in their work.
I apologize for contributing to derailing the thread a bit. However, getting ornery with people isn't a way to get authors to respond or pay attention to your thread.

Quote:

Just post if I have permission, pass on by if I don't

it's simple
My guess is that you're likely to get more permission contacting authors directly than in this post. If for no other reason, because many of us are... hesitant to post any sort of "permission" publically in such a nondescript way. My addon is All Rights Reserved for a reason, and I'm not likely to post anywhere publically giving someone permission to make changes to or redistribute my addon.

I'm fairly certain you're not including that addon in your compilation, but just in general, many of the authors I know are willing to give a fair amount of permission to people who contact them directly and are very specific about what they want to do, but anything more public or broad based than that, we get itchy about, for a lot of reasons.

That said, if you *do* happen to be planning to distribute any of my addons as part of your compilation, consider this notice of declining permission for you to do so, modified or not.