WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Reload WoW (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26184)

Minibutcher 08-07-09 10:53 AM

Reload WoW

Hey guys,

I'm getting started with addon development and I have a very simple and noob question:

When developing I usually like to do some changes and check the result just right after saving the file. I guess that a lot of you guys do the same. The question is: Do I have to reload the game every single time I want to see the changes? That is very annoying because I need to alt+f4, open, log-in again and etc... that takes a little time.

Also, is there a way to debug on the fly?

Thanks

shkm 08-07-09 11:07 AM

No, you can type /console reloadui. You might find an addon or twelve that build this functionality into a clickable button or shorter command.

Verissi 08-07-09 04:11 PM

/console reloadui works fine for most changes. The only time that you should need to quit and restart WoW will be if you add new files to the TOC.

Slakah 08-07-09 04:16 PM

they added /reload as well.

Akryn 08-07-09 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verissi (Post 152252)
/console reloadui works fine for most changes. The only time that you should need to quit and restart WoW will be if you add new files to the TOC.

You can add/remove files from the .toc and see the results with just a /reload. If you change the ## options, or add/remove entire addons, then you have to restart the client.

Verissi 08-07-09 04:54 PM

Really? Good to know! *gets back to editing*

Seerah 08-07-09 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akryn (Post 152264)
You can add/remove files from the .toc and see the results with just a /reload. If you change the ## options, or add/remove entire addons, then you have to restart the client.

Really? Since when did I miss that?

Akryn 08-07-09 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 152281)
Really? Since when did I miss that?

Yep I do it all the time. :) I want to say it's been that way since they removed the ability to add addons w/o restarting the client, but I could be wrong.

Soeters 08-07-09 06:43 PM

Note that if you add textures that weren't here when you logged in, you'll get a beautiful green box instead (like if the path was wrong).

I didn't know for the ability to add addons and files after having launched WoW, I thought that the *.toc file was read only once, at the launching, and then wasn't read at all.

Akryn 08-07-09 06:54 PM

Yeah it used to be that it reread everything. I don't remember when they changed that but I remember downloading addons while alt-tabbed and reloading to turn them on.

yssaril 08-07-09 08:53 PM

you can add/remove the files form the toc and it will update with /reloadui but the files have to be inplace before you start wow so you cannot add new files during runtime only files that are already present but not referenced in the toc or an xml file

Verissi 08-08-09 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yssaril (Post 152311)
you can add/remove the files form the toc and it will update with /reloadui but the files have to be inplace before you start wow so you cannot add new files during runtime only files that are already present but not referenced in the toc or an xml file

That's what I thought. *confusled* I guess I'll try it out and find out for myself. I'm in the habit of restarting WoW entirely if I add a new file, but if Akryn's correct, then that will save some time. If not, then I'll keep plugging away with my current way of doing things. I'll report back soon with the results, as I'm about to start a new addon anyway (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

sakurakira 08-08-09 03:33 AM

What I have done in the past is to make a macro for "/console reloadui" and put the macro on my bar. Then I just click that whenever I need to.

Bluspacecow 08-08-09 11:39 PM

If you use any Ace addons you should have the command

/rl

which does a /console reloadui

Don't remember if it's Ace2 , Ace3 or something other library most ace addons use that provides it

Torhal will probably correct me on this >_>

Torhal 08-09-09 12:02 PM

It's Ace2 or Ace3 installed standalone.

Zyonin 08-09-09 01:50 PM

LibRock also enables a /rl shortcut, some other non AceX/Rock based mods as well. Myself I have this bit of code inserted in my custom settings mod to create the /rl shortcut:
Code:

SlashCmdList['RELOAD'] = function() ReloadUI() end

SLASH_RELOAD1 = '/rl'

I forget which AddOn I swiped that bit from however it was something pretty simple if I recall correctly. You could create your own settings mod and then drop that bit of code into it if you want that shortcut and don't have a mod that enables it for you.