WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Looking for an addon maker (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49294)

Assdepic 05-15-14 04:02 PM

Looking for an addon maker

Hello,

I'm looking for someone who could make an advanced addon, can't say more at the moment but it's a very unique opportunity, just ask me in private message and I'll answer in few time.
By the way, be aware that it's not common.

Thank you.

Cairenn 05-15-14 04:14 PM

Just FYI, most people will tell you to just post your idea or won't even bother responding. We get requests like this all the time and that's what inevitably happens. Tell us what you are thinking about.

10leej 05-15-14 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 292799)
Just FYI, most people will tell you to just post your idea or won't even bother responding. We get requests like this all the time and that's what inevitably happens. Tell us what you are thinking about.

Then the typical response is that it's a great idea and that they don't want to share it because they don't want anyone else doing it.

Phanx 05-15-14 06:44 PM

Which isn't really a valid concern, since WoW addons are not a money-making venture and it really doesn't matter one bit if someone else turns your idea into an addon first... also the chances of someone actually taking your idea and turning it into an addon without you are pretty much zero. Besides, if someone else writes it, and all you do is provide the original idea, what do you expect to get out of it other than the use of the addon anyway?

And on top of all that, almost every time a thread like this is posted, once the poster finally posts their actual idea, it turns out to be something that's not even possible in the first place.

I really doubt you're willing to pay someone the actual market value of their time to write an addon for you, so they only way you're going to have any hope of getting an addon written are either (a) write it yourself or (b) share your idea publicly to maximize the number of addon authors who see it and hope one of them is interested enough to write it for free. "PM me to hear my super secret mystery idea!" is just a waste of everyone's time.

Nimhfree 05-16-14 05:51 AM

I think we should have some sort of page that already has this type of answer written, so whenever someone asks for an author we can just post the link to make everyone's life easier. I am sure Phanx and Cairenn do not need to waste their time explaining this over and over. :)

10leej 05-16-14 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimhfree (Post 292811)
I think we should have some sort of page that already has this type of answer written, so whenever someone asks for an author we can just post the link to make everyone's life easier. I am sure Phanx and Cairenn do not need to waste their time explaining this over and over. :)

I'm pretty certain there was one, somewhere. Probably in my head.

Torhal 05-16-14 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 292812)
I'm pretty certain there was one, somewhere. Probably in my head.

What's the URL? :D

Malsomnus 05-16-14 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimhfree (Post 292811)

I don't know, it's possible that Phanx enjoys it ;)
I do wonder what in the realm of add-ons could possibly count as a "unique opportunity" though...

Assdepic 05-16-14 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 292800)
Then the typical response is that it's a great idea and that they don't want to share it because they don't want anyone else doing it.

It's more complicated than that.

I'll try my chance, if someone is motivated to work on something I promise to be original (and not that easy), someone who is curious and brave enough to take 15 sec of their time to send a private message.
Only this kind of people might answer positively.

Quote:

I do wonder what in the realm of add-ons could possibly count as a "unique opportunity" though...
Just send a PM then... Well I might send you one, just in case, later on. You showed so much interest. :banana:

Phanx 05-16-14 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malsomnus (Post 292817)
I don't know, it's possible that Phanx enjoys it ;)

I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could use a rail-gun to express myself, or tribbles... or a rail-gun that fired tribbles, now there's an idea.

lerb 05-16-14 06:30 PM

Looking for an addon maker

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 292821)
I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could use a rail-gun to express myself, or tribbles... or a rail-gun that fired tribbles, now there's an idea.

Or Gremlins!

Tonyleila 05-17-14 06:10 PM

Lol is this a new thread? Because I remember the same one and later it came out that the addon he requested was not possible... Uhh so someone just send him his privat massage and then post the answer here lol

Malsomnus 05-18-14 12:06 PM

I don't know, I PMed him and got no reply... maybe he wasn't sufficiently impressed with my add-ons? :confused:

Duugu 05-18-14 02:06 PM

Probably you're not "brave enough". :D

ravagernl 05-19-14 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assdepic (Post 292797)
By the way, be aware that it's not common.

Thank you.

We're aware it's not common. Asking for an AddOn without a proper explanation of what you like isn't common at all.

EDIT: After reading my post you may wonder if I did not understand your warning. Pun was intended.

Nimhfree 05-19-14 06:37 PM

OP is lying...

The OP does not really want an addon developer, at least not for anything that stays within the TOC. At least this was conveyed to me in a private message.

Cairenn 05-19-14 06:43 PM

*not surprised*

10leej 05-19-14 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimhfree (Post 292864)
The OP does not really want an addon developer, at least not for anything that stays within the TOC. At least this was conveyed to me in a private message.

I can never figure out why they come here for that stuff. There are legitamet websites for that.

Cairenn 05-20-14 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 292866)
I can never figure out why they come here for that stuff. There are legitamet websites for that.

Or more correctly, illegitimate ones ...

10leej 05-20-14 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 292867)
Or more correctly, illegitimate ones ...

Well there are things against the tos and TOC that aren't unlawful. Just not permitted within the game.