WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   need some opinions (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14861)

WeeBaby 02-08-08 11:42 PM

need some opinions

I want to make sure I am not duplicating anything or using something that is a real memory hog. I truly appreciate any ideas/opinions you all may have. TIA

Seerah 02-09-08 12:19 AM

You have both Cartographer and Gatherer - pick one.

Do you really need all of those Cart plugins?

Run the batch script in the AuldLangSyne, Cartographer, PitBull, Prat, and Babble-2.2 (actually I don't even know why you have that library installed as standalone, as it's obvious you're using embedded libs). This will pull the modules out into the addons folder (like how XPerl comes) so you can run them all as Load on Demand and disable what you don't want.

I'm too tired at the moment to check through there in more detail. But remember that anything with a large database will use more memory (MobInfo2, Auctioneer, etc). But memory is not an issue as long as your game is running fine. Often, what affects game performance is addons that eat CPU cycles.

mulesh 02-09-08 07:17 AM

You can remove Gatherer (Cartographer_Mining/Herbalism does that) (you will need to get Cartographer_Herbalism)
You can remove MozzFullWorldMap (Cartographer does that)
You can remove GuildMap (Cartographer does that)
You can remove TomTom (Cartographer does that)
You can remove HK_QuestInitiators (Cartographer_Quests does that)
You can remove QuestAnnouncer (FuBar_QuestFu does that)
You can remove TooltipQuestMod (FuBar_QuestFu does that)
You can remove RS_ClassColors (Prat and AuldLangSyne do that)

I would suggest removing ProfessionsBook and RecipeKnown in favor of TradeSkillInfo and TradeSkillInfoUI.

Why do you have both PitBull and XPerl? Choose one.

mozulo 02-09-08 07:55 AM

Ok just a small tip for you to bare in mind when using addons everythink has to load so the more addons you have the more time it is going to take you to load in etc.

i see you have alot of fubar addons like voice, vol etc why add that extra loading time when it can be done within WoW's sound panel.

Also i used to use atlas loot and i did some test on memory usage and it takes alot so now i just use wowhead if i need to link anythink ingame.

use cart instead of gather then when herbing you get your own mini database of where nodes are that you have collected.

Also use pitbull it is less of a memory hog.

hope this helps abit.

Slakah 02-09-08 08:03 AM

Quote:

Also use pitbull it is less of a memory hog.

Since when?

mozulo 02-09-08 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slakah (Post 82978)
Since when?

Ok xperl uses alot more memory, i will let you do the tests and find out, then post up your results.

Seerah 02-09-08 10:59 AM

Xperl and PitBull are similar in memory usage, but the more you use in PitBull, the higher it goes.

That said, over the past few days, ck has been optimizing PB for memory usage - so new comparisons will need to be made.

Rigorous 02-09-08 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 82984)
That said, over the past few days, ck has been optimizing PB for memory usage

Code:

hijack
that's good to hear. its just a number...but its always one of my biggest numbers. :D
Code:

/hijack

Petrah 02-09-08 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 82968)
Often, what affects game performance is addons that eat CPU cycles.

Ahh, something new to learn! Can you explain that a bit more (in newb language) pretty please?

:p

mozulo 02-09-08 07:42 PM

Well everythink needs a CPU process to run so the more things going on with the addon the more processes its going to use and take away from the actual game processes.

CORE DUO FTW

i think im right anyone would like to add there input?

Tweeker 02-09-08 09:21 PM

Yeah i'd ditch xperl and pitbull and go with aUF..

I have used both for very long durations.. but when i want to clean things up and load faster etc, i prefer aUF

VIEW THIS ADDON HERE

much smaller and does everything needed..

Dreadlorde 02-09-08 09:46 PM

I prefer disscord unit frames.

Just my two cents :banana:

jonathon 02-09-08 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mozulo (Post 83001)
Well everythink needs a CPU process to run so the more things going on with the addon the more processes its going to use and take away from the actual game processes.

CORE DUO FTW

i think im right anyone would like to add there input?

That is my understanding of it also. That being said. the more ram you have the faster (appearance is everything) it runs.

///Proud new owner of a dual 2.8GHZ quad Mac Pro\\\

Dreadlorde 02-09-08 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildlandfire21 (Post 83014)
///Proud new owner of a dual 2.8GHZ quad Mac Pro\\\

Congrats!

Next year when I graduate from high school I'm getting the 24" iMac for college and WoW :)

Petrah 02-09-08 11:33 PM

So all addons "eat CPU cycles"?

MidgetMage55 02-10-08 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenia (Post 83016)
So all addons "eat CPU cycles"?

I would think so though honestly i dont have the definitive answer. What i can tell you is there are some that eat TONS. KLH Threat meter for example while a nice mod it tends to be a tad heavy on the cpu cycles. Considering the number of times a minute it updates i would think thats somewhat to be expected. Where as something like a bank frame mod would use little to (possibly?) no cpu time.