WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbonite Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Bugs caused by Carbonite (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49175)

Kreelor 04-07-14 09:24 AM

Bugs caused by Carbonite

I've been having a number of bugs (ERRORS) and most of them are pointing to Carbonite. Most of them in are Pandaria related to turning in quests or other things such as Carbonite's Guide to find a vendor who has sold specific items, etc. I'd like to be more specific, but there are too many of them to outline here. Other addons encounter (report them) and they all point to Carbonite. Will this addon be updated (for users) anytime in the near future with fixes other than for other addon authors?

I'm using Carbonite's Beta version (CarboniteBETA-542a4).

Rythal 04-08-14 01:05 AM

Without error reports, there's nothing I can fix... I would need some sort of bug track to be able to pinpoint where the error was, and what caused it.

crazzzzi 04-08-14 08:19 PM

i am using the latest versions of carbonite and pet tracker, and i have no lag or errors in Pandaria or any other places for that matter, you might want to delete your caches and add-ons, do a clean install. you may also want to check WoW for any problems too

Torhal 04-09-14 11:58 AM

It's also worth noting that many AddOns share libraries, and if an AddOn has an error which propagates to one of those libraries, the first AddOn to load it will be blamed.

Kreelor 04-09-14 03:32 PM

Torhal, thanks for the reply. I have to laugh because after sending some of the error reports to other addon tech support sites pages (for example: Zygor), they keep telling me it's not their software. They are saying there are function calls to various things which they don't use in their software, but Carbonite does (although they never mentioned Carbonite by name).
I'm now in an endless loop between the addon developers. :D

Nimhfree 04-09-14 04:28 PM

One of course assumes you are posting the actual bugs and what you were doing when the bug occurred. It usually helps developers when they get as much information as possible. And a really fun thing to do is run the problematic addon by itself to ensure the problem can be reproduced with nothing else (non-system-Blizzard) involved.

Kreelor 04-13-14 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimhfree (Post 292003)
One of course assumes you are posting the actual bugs and what you were doing when the bug occurred. It usually helps developers when they get as much information as possible. And a really fun thing to do is run the problematic addon by itself to ensure the problem can be reproduced with nothing else (non-system-Blizzard) involved.

Are you saying that I (or any of us users) should beta-test Rythal's own code for him to find out if his code works, or not? My use of his 'current' (pardon the expression) code shows many problems. Of course, I'm referring to the Beta/Alpha version of his code since there is no 'Release' version since the year 1908. (big grin). I'm the user.... he's the author. Who's responsible for this addon? I NEVER see frequent updates/fixes for known (reported) dozens of issues, except for issues that impact other addon authors, which are great things unto themselves! Compatibility is very important, but the core functions are even MORE important for those of us who do not use certain other addons (IMHO).

There are many CORE ISSUES still unresolved or even mentioned by Rythal. I love this addon and the work he has done to keep it alive (alive, but barely breathing), but I can't help myself from wondering what state of progress it is in currently. Updates are months apart, and even those updates don't relate to CORE issues. God bless Rythal, the addon author, he seems to be vacant most of the time from this forum. I play this game every day, generally, but I never see frequent, relevent activity in updates to this historically famous addon. From what I have encountered, Carbonite has never been updated for the Pandaria expansion (completely). And, Pandaria was released a very long time ago. Far too many bugs still remain in Carbonite, and not even acknowledged, let alone repaired, even though reported.

Nimhfree... do you expect me (and other users) to re-report (in detail with attachments) each of the problems we encounter when there is very little hope that our reports will be read and/or addressed?

I'm only trying my best to not only keep this great addon alive, but to encourage it's future. I'm not complaining just to complain. I truly care.

Nimhfree 04-13-14 01:46 PM

What I would attempt to do as a developer is to have a bug reporting system used such that all bug reports are filed there. People who discover bugs should use the system to check whether the bug is known and report bugs, or add more information to bugs, etc. Knowing full well that some users are unable to determine whether the bug they have discovered is really one of the ones already reported, I would suggest a new bug be reported. This means it is the developer's responsibility to determine whether the new bug is already reported and handle it appropriately.

How you go about reporting/complaining/etc. with regard to Carbonite is your decision. I believe there are intelligent ways to get things done, but that is my opinion.

jeffy162 04-13-14 02:42 PM

WoWInterface has a bug reporting link on the download page, at least there is on my Masque plug-ins. But I think you have to enable it to have it work.

Carbonite doesn't have one. Unfortunately.

Rythal 04-15-14 09:12 AM

I fix bugs as I see them, or they are reported. If a bug is reported and I can't reproduce it, I can't fix it.

The long standing bug that was being reported was the tiny lockups, which was found and fixed along with the updates for other addons compatability.

As for compatability with MoP, the only part of it that has not been updated or fixed to work was Quests/tracking and the celestial tournament, which I don't qualify to enter on any character, so it's taking me longer to fix it. I am only one person, I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time currently to add every quest, I do what I can with the time I do have and that's keeping the main addon working. I redid the entire system so anyone who has the inclination or want can do it themselves very easily, but has anyone come forward? No.

I came into this when MoP started as a fan, doing a fan update to a horribly obfuscated and mess of code. When I was handed the reigns, I was hopeful and wishful that it would become a community mod, by the users, for the users. Instead I've been paddling the waters alone (mostly, the efforts of you users to bring the guides up to date was very appreciated.) while bringing everything back up to where it should be. I will finish my own roadmap of what it needs, but after that I do not know if I'm going to continue with it for Warlords. On the plus side, if I don't continue with it, at least it now has a very easy to use framework for someone else unlike when I started with it.

jeffy162 04-15-14 09:56 AM

Thank You, Rythal.

For all that you've done to keep this massive addon going.

I know we could play WoW without it, but, it makes playing it easier and much more enjoyable.

Sparkplug 04-15-14 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 292105)
As for compatability with MoP, the only part of it that has not been updated or fixed to work was Quests/tracking and the celestial tournament, which I don't qualify to enter on any character, so it's taking me longer to fix it. I am only one person, I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time currently to add every quest, I do what I can with the time I do have and that's keeping the main addon working. I redid the entire system so anyone who has the inclination or want can do it themselves very easily, but has anyone come forward? No.

I wish I could help with it but LUA is like a foreign language to me. I can follow and understand PHP but I get lost with LUA really quick and I don't really get why. :(