WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hmm... (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51699)

Zyonin 01-20-15 06:06 AM

Hmm...

Lets see.

New PC - check
New PC decruded - check
Gametime card - check
WoW - client - downloading
AddOns (Minion) - downloaded

Yes, I am almost back. Likely in the next or so as I have break the downloads into smaller chunks (the WoW client is so much bigger than I remember!).

Soon...

Dolby 01-20-15 11:46 AM

Welcome back Zyonin :banana:

Seerah 01-20-15 04:48 PM

Yay! :) :banana:

Cairenn 01-20-15 08:15 PM

Woot! Welcome home! :)

Zyonin 01-21-15 02:28 AM

Thanks guys! I am watching the progress bar on the Battle.net app. 28+ gigs is a bit large so I have to hit several public WiFi hotspots to avoid being a data hot. Luckily I have a shiny new 1 TB drive on this new machine so I am not lack in the disc real estate dept.

Phanx 01-21-15 08:19 PM

I take it you live in Australia or some other country where data caps on home connections are the norm? :(

Fizzlemizz 01-21-15 08:32 PM

And where even in the nations capitol some suburbs have been pair gained into ADSL1 only max. speeds, woohoo.

Zyonin 01-23-15 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 305506)
I take it you live in Australia or some other country where data caps on home connections are the norm? :(

In in Italy, it depends on your provider or connection. However my data cap is 0. In other words, I don't have a home connection as the main bread winner (the wife) is a bit of a miser. We had to dump our last provider as they kept gouging us and trying to terminate made getting rid of AOL (any Americas remember them?) seem like a cake walk. Italian services providers do not like letting you go and tend to be rather Mafia like. However there are plenty of free and decent WiFi hotspots including ones run by the city. The only issue with the city one is you are limited to 500 MB per day. Still, I have waited four years so another week won't hurt. I could play now, however I suspect that I will be spending the first day setting up my UI and those old-timers know, I love a totally customized UI. Then I have four expansions worth of content to enjoy before I even think about Warlords (I have not upgraded yet) and a couple of new classes to have fun with too. WiFi hotspots will do for leveling and five man dungeons and I may find a good one for raiding/PvP laters.

Talyrius 01-23-15 07:13 AM

:eek:

500 megabytes per day?!? How are you supposed to do anything on that connection? I don't even have that great of a connection (100 Mbps) and I would hit the limit after just 40 seconds of downloading...

You can probably get around the data cap by changing your MAC address whenever you hit the limit.

Zyonin 01-24-15 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talyrius (Post 305590)
:eek:

500 megabytes per day?!? How are you supposed to do anything on that connection? I don't even have that great of a connection (100 Mbps) and I would hit the limit after just 40 seconds of downloading...

You can probably get around the data cap by changing your MAC address whenever you hit the limit.

Not sure about changing the MAC address as the city network uses a web-based sign-in that is tied to your cell phone number. IF you are streaming video, music, or hitting Bit-Torrent quite hard you will hit the limit quickly. But for normal browsing and even game playing (unless your game is downloading more content in the background) it works well. If I am going to watch video, I will usually just download it and watch off-line and I don't bother streaming video as my old machine does not have much RAM (Firefox or Chrome eats what little RAM the machine has as an appetizer). My new machine does not have that problem but why bother streaming when I have a tasty music library on my hard drive?

Phanx 01-24-15 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyonin (Post 305627)
IF you are streaming video, music, or hitting Bit-Torrent quite hard you will hit the limit quickly.

Quote:

hitting Bit-Torrent quite hard

Quote:

quite hard

500 MB isn't even half an episode of TV at good quality. :p

Zyonin 01-24-15 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 305629)
500 MB isn't even half an episode of TV at good quality. :p

Good thing that I am not much of a TV watcher then :p

I have always been a media (and advertising) executive's nightmare/source of indigestion.