WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Premium Membership (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8806)

Cairenn 02-28-07 11:10 PM

Premium Membership

We are working on setting up Premium Membership features for our sites. Let me make this very clear. None of our existing features are going away. Everything you can currently access, you will still be able to access whether you get a Premium Membership or not. Everything you are used to from our sites, from file moderation queues making sure that all downloads are completely safe, to standards of behaviour on the forums, to me being a big flirt will remain. So with that being said:

What are your suggestions for some of the things you would like to see as a Premium Member on our sites? Ads no longer showing is a given. But what else? What additional benefits would you like to see? No guarantee that it'll happen, but any and all suggestions will be considered.*

*With one exception - before Dolby or Kudane even get the chance to suggest it - no, autographed posters of me are not an option.

Kudane 02-28-07 11:12 PM

Autographed 4x5 glossy prints ???

Cairenn 02-28-07 11:18 PM

No.

extra letters

THUNDER_CHILD 03-01-07 12:04 AM

To be able to use a handy dandy program similar to WowAceUpdater to update all mods from wowi.

Innomin8 03-01-07 12:06 AM

* Mod Favorites (ie. Download a package of mods that you select)
* Mod Downloader/Updater

I'll think of more later I'm sure :)

Scre3m 03-01-07 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUNDER_CHILD
To be able to use a handy dandy program similar to WowAceUpdater to update all mods from wowi.

This is what I would like, too.

Durzil 03-01-07 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUNDER_CHILD

Third

And autographed sexy pics from Cairenn 2nd!!!

Tekkub 03-01-07 12:45 AM

Dynamic compilations!

Something I've never quite understood is why people package a bunch of addons and publish a "compilation". The addons in this comp quickly become out of date. It seems more logical to have the creator go thru the site and check off the addons they want in their compilation. Then when someone downloads the server grabs all the latest versions, zips it, and gives that to the user.

Hrm... what else could you do...

*shrug* That's all I got right now.

Mazzlefizz 03-01-07 01:17 AM

The only thing that comes to mind is a larger limit to number of PMs you can keep in your PM box.

I've seen a couple of other superficial things that sites sometimes add with premium membership. They sometimes make the user's name a different color or give them a title of some sort. They also sometimes lift restrictions on the size of the avatar files, which primarily benefits those who like to use animated avatars.

Tekkub 03-01-07 01:35 AM

HEY! I want a title and a colored name! That'd kick ass!

*snicker*

Lywellyn 03-01-07 01:41 AM

I can think of things that I used to do on my premium membership...

* emails based on your username ([email protected], [email protected], etc). Could be real emails, or email forwards.

* blogs (authors can use them to list progress, or just overall blogs)

* secret forums (every forum has forums that only certain groups/people can access!)

or things other places have done...

* discounts on MMO merchandise (partnerships with other companies like allakhazam did)

FISKER_Q 03-01-07 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekkub
Dynamic compilations!

Something I've never quite understood is why people package a bunch of addons and publish a "compilation". The addons in this comp quickly become out of date. It seems more logical to have the creator go thru the site and check off the addons they want in their compilation. Then when someone downloads the server grabs all the latest versions, zips it, and gives that to the user.

Well i don't think this should be an premium feature, well atleast not if the intention is to publish the compilations, then both authors and users should be able to make them/download them.

But you could put in a personal compilation, one also supporting compilations and then it would get each unique addon for that self made compilation.

Other stuff i'm thinking about:
  1. ZOMG special titles
  2. No Ads
  3. If you got any competitions or other stuff like taking questions, then supporters has priority over normal users, of course stupid questions supporter or not are ignore. For competitions you could make it so supports automatically enter and/or gets higher chances.
  4. An UI feature suggestion/bug report compiled and suggested to Slouken, complete with a "not gonna happen"-section, and people ignoring or purposely posting stuff that won't happen will be temporarily suspended from the feature or whatever floats your boat :P (Yes i know you could just make a topic and Slouken would read it, but not all are on the US boards, also i think it could reduce some of the workload by compiling it into a bigger report).
  5. Feature for authors to auto-update their mods through their svn server(Not one by WoWInterface, but their own, i.e. projects hosted on google code and so on).
  6. Related to the above feature should be some kind of This-is-release/This-is-beta so that people know what they're downloading, optionally you could restrict beta releases to subscribers only, thus reducing the whine about
  7. And if you're considering a download client to automatically update addons then i think you should also provide a manager for savedvariables so to clean them.
  8. And speaking of that you should be able to store savedvariables and other settings, which could be autouploaded through the client mentioned before.

Colton 03-01-07 03:08 AM

Thanks to Firefox I don't see ads anywhere at any time, so I couldn't give you a suggestion as to what to add really because everything I need is here already, anything else would just be wasted.

Tierdar 03-01-07 06:56 AM

Well honestly this site provides alot of the things I would already expect to have to pay for but here is a small list of things.

No Ads (yes I know it was stated already there wouldnt be :) )

This may be stretching things a bit but a possible discounted premium price for addon authors.

I also like the idea of an all in one downloader for various addons to be all downloaded at once.

A subdomain email would be nice like what was suggested by a previous poster.

Possible discounts for various WoW related merchandise such as stuff from Blizzard or Jinx etc.

A couple of questions also, would the premium membership from WoWI be spread across the rest of the network as well? (i.e. EQinterface, LOTROInterface etc.) Curious since the current membership for this site is not spread across the various domains for *Interface.

Also since Dolby is a fellow cheesehead can he be forced to buy other Wisconsin premium members Packer's tickets for the upcoming season? :)

Bouvi 03-01-07 08:47 AM

Ideas I love:

Compliation authors to just choose what addons they use. For example I have an addon pack I have to keep updated. This way I could just release my UIs with the WTF folders and it auto download the latest versions of the addons for use. I do realize that anything not hosted here would have to be included but with added options other authors might put them here too.

More PMs and more characters in the PMs

Ability to select more than one addon maybe by a checkbox and download them all at once in a large zipped file.

Idea I have not seen

Subscribe to your addons so they are automatically sent to your e-mail and not just a notice.

A weekly list of new addons added to wowinterface sent to your e-mail.

Also add a list of any updated addons maybe taking a brief descirptions from each.

I am tapped but still early in the day.

Housellama 03-01-07 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tekkub

More bacon per button push?

Cairenn 03-01-07 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housellama

hahahahaha

Tekkub 03-01-07 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Housellama

I tried that once... took me a week just to get it to spit out any... not gonna screw with that again.

I noticed email suggestions, but not this specific one... When receiving update notifications for favs, allow prems to get the actual addon attached as a zip! They're a paying member, you don't need to drive their traffic to the site, you know you've got it already.

Also, featured artists should get a free premium *grin*

Umbranemo 03-01-07 04:59 PM

Well as long as you are still going to flirt I for one say good deal the rest just a bonus :D I have been using your boards with one nic or another since EQ and found your sites and have found them to be very helpfull so would probably get the premium just to get rid of the adds again the rest just a plus.

Tekkub 03-01-07 07:27 PM

How about a blizzy-insprired feature? Give people with different titles (Featured, Moderator, Paying Member) a "special" text color on the forums. Like Iriel's green text, basically.