WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archive (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Linux Testing (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23645)

kronarq 05-16-09 08:22 AM

State of Minion - Linux

Quote:

1. What Operating Systems will it work on?

It will work on Windows, Mac and Linux
Considering everything is being written in Java should be easy to have everything work cross-platform. Well easier then native binaries....

Are there currently Linux users in the alpha user base? I am curious how things are currently running under Linux as I haven't seen any forum posts on it.

Vis 05-16-09 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronarq (Post 136234)
Are there currently Linux users in the alpha user base?

I know I read it somewhere in here and of course can't find a link to it at the moment. It's been said before that Yes, they do have Alpha testers on all the platforms that they are releasing this for.

Cairenn 05-16-09 10:41 AM

Yes there are kronarq, but it's a perfectly understandable question for you to ask. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirik (Post 120663)
EDIT: To address the other questions, we have alpha testers from Windows, Mac OS, and Linux all reviewing the software right now. Additionally, there will only be a single release for all three OSes, as an OS-independent installer application, which will identify OS, architecture, and JVM version to obtain the correct release for you, painlessly.

kronarq 05-16-09 09:19 PM

Out of curiosity... How are the ads being displayed? I know Curse went with the god awful embedded IE approach which means I have to have IE6 installed in Wine now. Are there libraries for displaying web content built into Java or did you guys have to write one?

Shirik 05-16-09 11:47 PM

I am using a tool which works with the Eclipse Standard Widgets Toolkit (SWT) to identify and embed a browser specific to your system.

It has its kinks, but it works. Mostly I think the kinks are due to the fact that the SWT version I'm using is development (because the stable branch does not have these features) and they are being ironed out by the minute, literally. Currently I'm not aware of any issues except on Mac OS (which I have a workaround for).

kronarq 05-17-09 12:52 AM

That's an interesting implementation.

Bri-an 05-20-09 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 136258)
Yes there are kronarq, but it's a perfectly understandable question for you to ask. :)

so there wont be a windows installer?

TheOneRing 05-21-09 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirik
EDIT: To address the other questions, we have alpha testers from Windows, Mac OS, and Linux all reviewing the software right now. Additionally, there will only be a single release for all three OSes, as an OS-independent installer application, which will identify OS, architecture, and JVM version to obtain the correct release for you, painlessly.
I'm expecting an installable jar file which you can run on all OS with a installed Java VM, so there is an installer eaven for windows :P.

Bomyne 05-21-09 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bri-an (Post 137420)
so there wont be a windows installer?

Don't need it. Windows comes with a zip extractor "out of the box".

Shirik 05-21-09 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneRing (Post 137604)
I'm expecting an installable jar file which you can run on all OS with a installed Java VM, so there is an installer eaven for windows :P.

Actually, because it's a rather complex program, we're looking for a real installer. There's a lot of files that need to be placed in the correct place and I don't want to have to make you guys worry about that.

It will probably be a Java Web Start (JWS) installer. For those of you without JWS support there will be an alternative option where you can just download the packages manually and install (such as from a ZIP file or something -- not sure yet), but the JWS version should work for 99% of you out there. JWS has been supported since 1.4 I believe, and you will need Java 5 to be able to run this application.