WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   An addon can help me to find myself (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29984)

farlay 01-13-10 06:51 AM

An addon can help me to find myself

Oh... no, I lost myself again!

Yeah, I admit that I'm a noob, who often found herself lost in some crowded raids, like in Onyxia 25 when the whelps were up and all the crazy mages started AOE, and when we all hugged together at the face boss in the black temple. It's not really a big problem, as I could always find myself sooner or later, but it could be really annoying that for a few seconds I had no idea where I was standing.

My question is whether there is any add-on that can help you to mark yourself, that mark may only be seen by you, to help you quickly identify your position in a crowded place. I tried to use the Name feature in blizzard options, hence only shows my own name, and nothing else, it doesn’t help much, as the letters are too small.

nickyjean 01-13-10 09:18 AM

I feel your pain. It's been asked if there is a way to mark others in a mob with your own raid icons not to conflict with that of a group/raid but it has something to do with Addons not being able to interact with the 3D world. Since your request is more specific -just yourself- maybe there might be hope for your request. --heres hoping--

Seerah 01-13-10 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyjean (Post 174508)
Addons not being able to interact with the 3D world.

This here ^^

nightcracker 01-13-10 01:35 PM

Eehm, the only few things possible are checking "My own name" in the Names panel of the interface config, or just make a little frame in the center of the screen since your own character is always in the exact middle of your screen(unless your a gnome, then it's a little below).

khurzog 01-15-10 07:45 AM

could something like tidy plates or aloft be capable of display differently for self? i know i've seen tidy plates themes vary their look based on hostel/friendly/npc etc... seems probably self could be distinguished just the same.

SDPhantom 01-16-10 01:14 AM

An idea would be as simple as placing a set of crosshairs in the center of the screen, since the camera is always centered on the character, this should give an idea of where your character should be.

AnrDaemon 01-16-10 10:42 AM

I have solved it by placing DoT monitors over the approximate character position. Since they are click-through, they have no impact on character handling.

farlay 01-16-10 11:10 AM

Many thanks for the advice! I tired it in last night raid, put a single action bar in the middle of the screen for the trinket, and it helped, and it was a strange realization, it’s like you know you are moving but actually you don’t.

Sepioth 01-16-10 03:50 PM

Place a piece of scotch tape there :D

And to play off what SDPhantom said you can use a crosshair like these :)

AnrDaemon 01-19-10 12:43 AM

Back to topic, just found this...

BWarner 01-19-10 02:53 AM

I honestly can't stand putting anything over my character, at least as a melee. You're obscuring location-specific information by placing something over your character, which is particularly vital to melee roles, though not a non-issue for ranged.

Seerah 01-19-10 02:01 PM

I don't like to box in my mage either. Can never play with HUDs or the nameplates on even.

Vyper 01-19-10 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 175173)
Can never play with HUDs or the nameplates on even.

^^^ and I thought I was the only one!

Slakah 01-19-10 06:31 PM

I think you could probably get details of whereabouts the camera is placed and make estimations on where your char is, but it wouldn't be able to account for the camera hitting walls etc.

Phanx 01-19-10 11:24 PM

The top of your character's head is always in the exact center of the screen, regardless of zoom or camera angle.

Other than that, if turning on "own name" text isn't enough, there's not really any more you can do, as (as others have already said) addons cannot interact with the 3D game world. There's also no way to show a nameplate for yourself, so that's out.

You could try asking your raid leader for assist, and marking yourself with a symbol that isn't being used for anything else.

zero-kill 01-20-10 01:09 AM

Other than model hacking you are pretty much at the mercy of the game and its limitations.