WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lua/XML Help (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Publishing and updating addons (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57203)

FranekW 06-14-19 01:46 PM

Publishing and updating addons

Hi sorry for a long post.

How do you manage addon versions on Curse? Do you delete previous versions? At some points there must be a number of different files including alphas, betas, and release! How to you organise your work around naming (and tagging if you use Git for instance).

TLDR

I have released a new small addon which I started with version v1.0.0-release. My code is on GitHub and I connected CurseForge with GitHub and now any new versions gets published according to a tag I add to any of the commits. Essentially Curse picks automatically each version when a new tag is created.

I have spotted a couple of wrong spellings or extra "texts" which were not supposed to be there. So I decided to release an updated version v1.0.1-release. I changed things and added a new tag v1.0.1-release. On the top of that, I began to work with locales but it became experimental so I tagged this version as alpha, under a new tag v1.1.0-alpha. I made another small changes in released version, made a new commit with a new tag, v1.0.2-release. Because, I also managed to make locales work, I tagged that work as v1.1.1. Someone else gave me more translations which I included but because Curse already published the previous version, I had to create a new tag v1.1.2, which as you can guess got published.

Essentially, I managed to produce a number of versions on Curse. I was wondering if it's possible to tell Curse to publish only the most updated version of -alpha, or -beta, or -release and delete the previous version, if it's possible. Would anything happen if I simply delete the previous versions? I mean how it affects people who already downloaded previous versions?

bsmorgan 06-14-19 03:54 PM

Both Curse(Forge) and WoWInterface keep old versions by default and this isn't a bad thing, IMO. Older versions use storage space on their servers and if they want it back, I'm sure they will let me know.

I have an SVN repository for one addon and a GIT repository for another. For both, alpha, beta, and release builds are determined by the tag.

The Twitch client lets the user decide which builds they want to track and notifies the user when updates are available. I apply the updates manually (mostly with Update All).

Cairenn 06-14-19 09:21 PM

I so love it when people use our forums to deal with problems on our competitor's site ...

FranekW 06-15-19 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 332372)
I so love it when people use our forums to deal with problems on our competitor's site ...

I was worried nobody would answer my question regarding Curse here :$

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmorgan (Post 332369)
Both Curse(Forge) and WoWInterface keep old versions by default and this isn't a bad thing, IMO. Older versions use storage space on their servers and if they want it back, I'm sure they will let me know.

I have an SVN repository for one addon and a GIT repository for another. For both, alpha, beta, and release builds are determined by the tag.

thanks for your comment. So as long as WI or Curse doesn’t remind me about taking too much resources, I should be ok to publish small changes as betas: v1.1.2, v1.1.3, v1.1.4 etc. Git stores only incremental changes. It is WI or Curse I am worried about because they seem to keep links to zip files which is quite redundant. I don’t even know if the sites “create” zip files on the way while the sites have connection with clouds like Git. I hope I clearly described my problem :) English is not my first language.

Fizzlemizz 06-15-19 11:06 AM

The author decides how many and which older download links to keep.

MooreaTv 06-15-19 09:55 PM

you can also manually delete versions you don't want in their UI

humfras 06-16-19 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 332372)

Please keep in mind that if an author is active on WoWI and asking for help here, he/she seems to value this community (higher than a competitor).

As someone ones wrote: And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Slander. Then, shalt thou Post with Respect. No more. No less. Respect shalt be the Tone thou shalt Post, and the Tone of the Posting shall be Respect. Spam shalt thou not Post, nor either Post thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to Respect. Flaming is right out. Once the Tone Respect, being the Respectful Tone, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Site Rules of WoWInterface towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall Ban it.'

The WoWI community is a friendly, welcoming and helpful place, let's keep it that way.

@FranekW:

Versioning your commits as x.y is recognized as release version.

You can go to your add-ons source settings (wow.curseforge.com/projects/<addonname>/settings/source) and change the Automatic Packaging behavior.

see https://authors.curseforge.com/docs/packaging for reference

Tim 06-16-19 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfras (Post 332386)
Please keep in mind that if an author is active on WoWI and asking for help here, he/she seems to value this community (higher than a competitor).

The author has 1 addon on this forum and 29 posts so I wouldn't exactly label that as very active. I would also bet that if Curse had a forum like this that the person would've asked there instead of here but, they do not so this is the only option. You are right though, no matter if it's rude to get help with a competitor, we are indeed a helpful community which is why people have helped the person.

bsmorgan 06-16-19 09:14 PM

I maintain an addon that was originally hosted (way before my time) with Curse so its SVN repository is still there (on WoWAce actually). It is also available here on WoWI.

The addon specific forums here on WoWI are the best I've found and I almost always get answers to questions (including Curse-related) when I ask here.

IMO, Curse and WoWI are "competitors" only when it comes to storage of "ready to install" addon files. There is no competition when it comes to knowledge and friendly atmosphere, WoWI wins hands down.

When I read Cairenn's response I took it as an "I feel good" comment. This thread should be about answering the questions asked in the same way as has been done in most of the other threads here on WoWI.

FranekW 06-17-19 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 332388)
no matter if it's rude to get help with a competitor, we are indeed a helpful community which is why people have helped the person.

Is it really rude asking for help regarding another tool? I would not expect there was THAT competition between Curse and your site :( I hope I did not offend anyone here!

As to Cairenn's answer, I did not sense any negativity in his/her comment and I was quite sarcastic when I said I was worried about getting answer here. I actually did not worry about it and I got useful answers already which I am thankful for.

Taraezor 07-06-19 03:04 AM

Lol. If you want any kind of useful feedback or help or ANYTHING really then THIS place is where you should be. I post my AddOns on two reputable websites only. If reaching out to others I know where I am welcome. This website also works on a variety of up to date and ancient versions of popular operating systems. Good to know if you are using ancient hardware. The only reason I might upload elsewhere, tbh, is that I get a trickle of income which *just* pays for my 6 monthly WoW sub.

sylvanaar 08-28-19 07:17 PM

Everyone should be using the new packager that posts to both curse and wowi.

It is absolutely amazing - and community-supported.

I used to kinda slack at uploading here because it wasn't automated - but now - I am proud to say I am uploading here fully automated too. So my addons here will be just as current as on curse. That makes me so happy!