WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   nUI: Plugin Support (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Ventrillo (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42656)

robszr2 02-19-12 10:27 PM

Ventrillo

Any possibilities of having an info panel that shows the vent information? not sure if it is even possible to have as an add-on.

Seerah 02-19-12 10:51 PM

Nope, not possible, as you suspected. There is an overlay in Vent, iirc, though.

Xrystal 02-20-12 02:22 AM

I looked into it before as a former guildie used to use the vent overlay in wow but the changes made to stop the overlay based addon that drew circles on the screen during a fight to tell you where to step stopped the overlay from working. I can't remember the name of the addon but it was very popular.

The testing I did was a year or so ago now though so there is a chance it will work now but not sure.

Melikae 02-20-12 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 252791)
I looked into it before as a former guildie used to use the vent overlay in wow but the changes made to stop the overlay based addon that drew circles on the screen during a fight to tell you where to step stopped the overlay from working.

As those overlays don't interact with WoW at all it's pretty unlikely that Blizzard would be able to break it. The overlay hooks directly into Direct3D and creates an additional layer above the 3D application currently running, so WoW should have no handle to do anything at all against it...

OmegaExtreme 02-20-12 10:49 AM

Just get yourself a Logitech G15 (or better) keyboard.

Petrah 02-21-12 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 252791)
I looked into it before as a former guildie used to use the vent overlay in wow but the changes made to stop the overlay based addon that drew circles on the screen during a fight to tell you where to step stopped the overlay from working.

The overlay for Vent still works. ;)

Xrystal 02-21-12 03:24 PM

Ah cool, thanks for that Petra. Either it got changed or it was a different overlay that I was looking at .. was a long time ago.

crazzzzi 02-21-12 08:31 PM

where can i get this overlay and what is it called, please :)

Seerah 02-21-12 09:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that it comes with Vent, doesn't it?

spiel2001 02-21-12 09:45 PM

I started to make a crack about Petrah using the words "Psychotic" and "Female" in the same phrase... then I thought better of it.

Honest.

Really.

~grin~

Dridzt 02-22-12 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 252783)
Nope, not possible, as you suspected. There is an overlay in Vent, iirc, though.

Not entirely true.
Starouscz has found a rather clever workaround for a year now and made a library out of it.
libRaidVoice
Users need to have the library installed but as part of a compilation that's not an issue, everyone using the compilation would have it if it's part of the package.

Raid Voice is a standalone addon using his lib.

crazzzzi 02-22-12 08:06 PM

hey Scott! glad to see you peekin in, how is NUi6 goin? any idea on a date for beta? not tryin to be a PiTA, just askin

Melikae 02-22-12 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzzzi (Post 252961)
hey Scott! glad to see you peekin in, how is NUi6 goin? any idea on a date for beta? not tryin to be a PiTA, just askin

Nice work posting in a completely unrelated topic -.-

btt.: libRaidVoice depends on everybody running it ingame, though and on the ingame VoiceChat, which is not yet available for the new x64 client, afaik.

Petrah 02-23-12 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzzzi (Post 252892)
where can i get this overlay and what is it called, please

Open Vent. Connect to a chat server. On the right hand side of the Vent window you will see a Setup button, click on it. At the top of the new window you will see several tabs, click on the Overlay tab and choose the settings you want.

Or, you can get one of these with a built in LCD that supports Ventrilo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 252893)
I'm pretty sure that it comes with Vent, doesn't it?

Yes. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 252895)
I started to make a crack about Petrah using the words "Psychotic" and "Female" in the same phrase... then I thought better of it.

Honest.

Really.

~grin~

:D :p ;)

Petrah 02-23-12 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 252871)
Ah cool, thanks for that Petra. Either it got changed or it was a different overlay that I was looking at .. was a long time ago.

I could be mistaken, but I think that addon you are talking about (the one that caused Blizz to make the changes that stopped the addon from working) did something quite differently than the Vent overlay. There's also that popular gaming software, can't remember the name of it to save my life, that allows a chat box overlay to sit on top of Wow so you can chat with people in other games, same game, or whatnot. If I'm not mistaken it's the same principal as the Vent overlay. At any rate, I think those two things are much different than the addon that I think you are referring to.

If my info is wrong, pretty please someone correct me?

Seer 02-23-12 05:09 PM

Afaik, the overlay function was broken because of vista/win7 not supporting it anymore, or because the overlay was used by the render engine of Windows itself?

todd0168 02-24-12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petrah (Post 253003)
I could be mistaken, but I think that addon you are talking about (the one that caused Blizz to make the changes that stopped the addon from working) did something quite differently than the Vent overlay. There's also that popular gaming software, can't remember the name of it to save my life, that allows a chat box overlay to sit on top of Wow so you can chat with people in other games, same game, or whatnot. If I'm not mistaken it's the same principal as the Vent overlay. At any rate, I think those two things are much different than the addon that I think you are referring to.

If my info is wrong, pretty please someone correct me?

I believe you are thinking of xfire Petrah. It's a chat software like Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, but geared specifically for gamers. xD

whereswaldo 02-24-12 01:09 PM

The addon that drew on the WoW 3D world was called AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality). http://www.wowace.com/addons/avr/

Xrystal 02-24-12 02:44 PM

Thats the one .. when that was working I am sure my old guildie used some sort of special vent addon for wow that stopped working the moment blizz made the changes that avr was utilising that they didn't want to utilise. And from memory the description of how it worked was very similar to avr.