WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Best Freeware Editor for a Beginnner (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34015)

Kuredo 07-17-10 12:02 AM

Best Freeware Editor for a Beginnner

Hey WoWI editors!

Firstly, I apologize if this thread has been done before, which I'm guessing is true. I searched shortly for some insight on the matter, and I can't seem to find much on the topic.

I just started with my programming endeavors in lua (no previous experience in any other language). And, so far I've only created three Add-ons which, in all honesty, probably can't be called Add-ons: The good ol' Hello World, MacroHelp for Class Buffs (a simple Add-on with four buttons that, when pressed, display messages in the chat frame that give cast sequence macros for the four classes with target-able buffs), and another macro Add-on named Death Knight Macros.

That being said I only created those with WoWUIDesigner which, even at my minuscule experience in this, seems limiting in scope. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Xrystal 07-17-10 12:32 AM

Notepad++ is a good one to use although I have moved onto Programmer's Notepad purely because it allows me to have all my projects easily accessible.

d87 07-17-10 12:43 AM

SciTE, which is based on the same scintilla engine as notepad++ but has it's perks

Miralen 07-17-10 12:59 AM

Personally I prefer SciTE been usin it for years now for alot more than just it's obvious uses.

Kuredo 07-17-10 01:02 AM

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'll check out all three, and see which I like. :D

shkm 07-17-10 09:30 AM

If you're just coding Lua with no ambitions to expand your programming repertoire, I'd go with PSPad. It contains a lot of great stuff for a beginner to get up and running quickly, along with a very friendly UI. If, however, you're in it for the long term, I can only recommend vim.

Seerah 07-17-10 09:51 AM

You could use *any* text editor - you already have programs to write addons on your computer. :) Notepad, WordPad, MS Word, etc.

But I use Notepad++ because I like the syntax highlighting and the tabbed display.

Coote 07-17-10 05:11 PM

I prefer Komodo Edit. I've been using it about 2 years for PHP, and figured since it had some LUA highlighting, I might as well use it for LUA.

Zergreth 07-17-10 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 (Post 198534)
LUA

*Lua
[/smartass]

I personally use Notepad++. It's got some nice features, and you can also customize most things to fit your need.

Tuller 07-17-10 05:33 PM

I recommend notepad++ on the PC as well

sakurakira 07-17-10 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 198475)
But I use Notepad++ because I like the syntax highlighting and the tabbed display.

Ditto here. :D

Kuredo 07-17-10 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've narrowed it down to Notepad++ and Programmer's Notebook. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two other than quicker access to certain features on both... lol.