WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33892)

Shadowed 07-15-10 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowkith (Post 198009)
Wow... I mean yesterday my first update to my addon was just a toc update becasue it was still compatible with everything i jsut havent updated it in forever. then i posted 2 new updates on it later in the day fully givin it new data. Im not bad am I :)... lol... Kool so i should see my in tomorrow?

Hopefully!

Shadowkith 07-15-10 11:04 AM

Can we preupload our beta addons to the category even tho they arnt going to be able to used yet, as in they arnt enable on the beta servers

Cairenn 07-15-10 11:08 AM

Okay, we didn't want to have to do this, but:

We have had to institute a membership date requirement on the Beta key give-away. The only authors who are automatically eligible for a key now are those who have been members in good standing on our site since before we announced the give-away. If you have joined our site on or after Monday, 12 July 2010, simply uploading an addon will not qualify you for a key, in and of itself.

We have always had problems with people trying to scam keys every other time we have run this, but never to the degree that we are experiencing it this year. The number of fraudulent or simply pointless addons that have been uploaded this week has been completely insane. The number of people we have outright banned from the site for uploading other people's work would astound you. We have had to spend a very significant portion of our time trying to filter through all of these, to the determent of everything else on the site.

A perfect example of the sorts of things we are having to deal with would be this. I got a PM forwarded to me by a long term author on the site, alerting me to an attempt to scam a key. The PM read:

Quote:

Originally Posted by [scammer]
Hello [long-term author] !
Well i guess that i dont know who i am, but i want ask you something...
i've seen that u are an Addon Author, and I came to this page yesterday and saw that announce about Cataclysm Beta Keys giveway for Addon Authors...
Well i have no ideia how to create an addon, and i'm here to ask you if u can create a very simple addon for me ?
well probably you'll recieve your key but i guess i have no chance just opting-in on battle net...
i can give you some gold in WoW if u want, but i just to want to enter in Beta...
I guess it's not outlaw...
i Apologize you to understand me.
If u are doing this for free or for some payment answer me with a PM ok ?
Thank you !
Or all the ones that have descriptions starting with something like:

"This is just a simple addon I made that..." or "I just whipped up this addon really quickly to..." or even " I Have been using this addon for personal use for a while now...", while not actually telling what it does at all, and it's a nothing more than a five line addon that puts a single button on the screen.

The examples can go on and on, but I'm sure you get the point.

So, while we hate to do it, we really feel that we have no other choice at this point. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, and we are willing to consider individual ones on a case-by-case basis. If you are a new author to our site and you truly feel that your addon is deserving of a key, you can PM one of the staff and we will discuss it amongst ourselves. However, it is entirely up to us and our decision is final.

Drazisil 07-15-10 11:59 AM

If this was answered already then I apologize: What about addon authors who have an account, but did not upload an addon prior to 7/12?

Xruptor 07-15-10 12:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up Cairenn. The amount of addons that were being uploaded was insane. Like I mentioned before a lot of them were extremely simple and single use red button addons. I'm glad you guys took this step.

Cairenn 07-15-10 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drazisil (Post 198038)
If this was answered already then I apologize: What about addon authors who have an account, but did not upload an addon prior to 7/12?

If you have been a long-standing member in good standing, you are entitled to a key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xruptor (Post 198039)
Thanks for the heads up Cairenn. The amount of addons that were being uploaded was insane. Like I mentioned before a lot of them were extremely simple and single use red button addons. I'm glad you guys took this step.

You have no idea. You weren't seeing even half of the ones that were being uploaded. It was simply pathetic.

Drazisil 07-15-10 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 198040)
If you have been a long-standing member in good standing, you are entitled to a key.

I've been here, I haven't gotten in trouble...we'll have to see :)

Xruptor 07-15-10 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 198040)

You have no idea. You weren't seeing even half of the ones that were being uploaded. It was simply pathetic.

I did report a few here and there. I really care about the community and tried to help you guys out. Apparently you folks did a heap ton more deletion then I thought lol. I don't even want to know the amount of addons that you guys had to go through. It must have been massive.

Cairenn 07-15-10 12:09 PM

Aye, you did and we appreciated it. We have been so swamped, some slipped through. :)

brotherhobbes 07-15-10 12:14 PM

Sorry you all had to deal with that, Cairenn! Sounds like a mess.

chippydip 07-15-10 01:02 PM

Well, fingers crossed that I still have a shot at a beta key.

I've been a member for a while, but only because I needed to ask a question about MMOUI Minion when it first came out.

I'm a programmer by trade, but never really had a reason to write my own WoW addons. Over the past couple weeks, though, I finally found something that I really wanted but didn't seem to exist yet and, thus, AutoExtend was born. Its a relatively simple Addon at ~350 lines of code in a single file, but I'm still proud of it. I had intended to upload it here and/or on Curse "eventually" but seeing this thread gave me that little extra push to do it now.

I gotta say, I'm actually pretty stoked that 10 people have downloaded it already. That's nothing compared to a lot of other mods, but it makes me feel good nonetheless. If anyone happens to check it out, I would appreciate any feedback you may have :)

xDD 07-15-10 01:10 PM

Well, this new rule is extremely discouraging for me, as I have just spent my whole day learning Lua and coding an Addon that I was already planning to make quite while ago.

This Give-Away gave me the motivation to finally implement my ideas, but now, that's gone. :(

I will nonetheless upload my Addon once it is done, but I probably can't expect a beta key.

Cladhaire 07-15-10 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xDD (Post 198056)
Well, this new rule is extremely discouraging for me, as I have just spent my whole day learning Lua and coding an Addon that I was already planning to make quite while ago.

This Give-Away gave me the motivation to finally implement my ideas, but now, that's gone. :(

I will nonetheless upload my Addon once it is done, but I probably can't expect a beta key.

I am sure and hope that regardless you understand our reasoning for having to do this. If we could honestly express how difficult it has been to weed through people uploading someone else's addon, people uploading crap that barely works just to get a key, I think it might help.

Xruptor 07-15-10 01:21 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. However, the Cataclysm Beta Invite shouldn't have been the only factor motivating you to learn and code an addon. I'm glad you finally decided to put your ideas down into a mod. However it takes time to learn LUA. When it comes to programming, practice practice practice. You did mentioned that you spent all day learning LUA. I'm sorry that the rule was implemented but things were getting out of hand.

I'm glad though that you are still going to upload the addon.

unlimit 07-15-10 01:22 PM

Quote:

If you believe you have a good contribution, she mentioned that there are exceptions.

You shouldn't be making addons specifically to get into the beta in the first place, you should be making them to provide something cool for the community. If that wasn't or isn't your goal, then you have no real reason to upload them in the first place. If you didn't want to help others out, you could of just made your addon and kept it to yourself.

The person who made AVR could of made his addon, and never shown it to anyone, and he would of always had his own personal little raiding-made-easy addon, but he uploaded it for the betterment of the community.

dr_AllCOM3 07-15-10 01:23 PM

Does the e-mail address have to be my bnet name or can it be any of my e-mail addresses?

Drazisil 07-15-10 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippydip (Post 198055)
Well, fingers crossed that I still have a shot at a beta key.

Looks good. If it came down to it I'd give you my key (if I got one), you put a lot more work into yours then I did. Good luck :)

(though in my defense my goal didn't require a lot of code :)

ETA: If that was possible, which it isn't.

Drazisil 07-15-10 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_AllCOM3 (Post 198061)
Does the e-mail address have to be my bnet name or can it be any of my e-mail addresses?

I believe it has to be your bnet address as that is where the key is being sent and the keys are account locked this time around.

Xruptor 07-15-10 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drazisil (Post 198065)
I believe it has to be your bnet address as that is where the key is being sent and the keys are account locked this time around.

It doesn't have to be the same email as your bnet email. Once you receive your key, you login to your battle.net account using your bNet email and register the key. The keys are only bound to your bNet account when you register it.

Cairenn 07-15-10 01:31 PM

Actually, it just needs to be a legitimate email address that we can contact you at, in case there is some problem and we aren't able to contact you through PMs here on the site. :)