WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33892)

siema_co 07-26-10 12:09 PM

Damn, and now they went down for maintenance....

akgis 07-26-10 12:15 PM

Glad the last batch they are working now :)

this means a new batch maybe soon yes yes? ;D

omergurlek 07-26-10 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akgis (Post 200203)
Glad the last batch they are working now :)

this means a new batch maybe soon yes yes? ;D

We should pray to the beta gods... or the... Blizzard gods! ... I think. :p

Torhal 07-26-10 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoodad (Post 200128)
Oh, and Torhal you can't be THAT old... Not with that hair...:eek::D

Child of the Seventies. Draw your own conclusion. :)

Kaidian 07-26-10 12:32 PM

Woo working. Hopefully so will the realms after my raid :P

dwex 07-26-10 12:44 PM

Worked for me, too. Thanks again, WoWI staff and Blizzard.

VincentSDSH 07-26-10 12:48 PM

Oh thank GOD!

Now my wife will stop looking at me like I've been hording all the popcorn at the movies.

elski 07-26-10 12:57 PM

Work for me too. EU Beta

ezarra 07-26-10 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 200100)
Again, you are mistaken here. You are free to sell your addons.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html
Quote:

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

2) Add-on code must be completely visible.

4) Add-ons may not include advertisements.

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.

shuffle 07-26-10 01:11 PM

mines working aswell :)

now to wait the few hours while my crummy internet chews at that 2.2gb at 160KB/s :(

ezarra 07-26-10 01:15 PM

Was able to activate beta key, but am not able to download. On the Mac I get an error "There was a problem authenticating your download. Please go to http:://www.blizzard.com/account/ to start a new download."

Doesn't work on the wintendo either.

Quokka 07-26-10 01:31 PM

Is there a way to download the enGB version it will only alow me the enUS version for some odd reason

Bluspacecow 07-26-10 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezarra (Post 200214)

Read the rest of that Policy ezarra.

It's a policy that Blizzard would like to see addon developers follow.

It has nothing to do with an addon authors right to sell their addon.

All Blizzard can do is ban the use of that sold addon in game.

creatifity 07-26-10 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quokka (Post 200218)
Is there a way to download the enGB version it will only alow me the enUS version for some odd reason

If you instead of pressing download press the change button and then just download the Europe version. worked for me ^^

Bluspacecow 07-26-10 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quokka (Post 200218)

When you log on battle.net you need to make doubly sure it's to eu.battle.net and also that the account language up the top is set appopriately :)

ezarra 07-26-10 01:39 PM

Ah, should have known. In Activision's continuing quest to subvert end-user's security measures the initial installer must be run under an account with admin rights and the game must be installed in the default location (/Applications/World of Warcraft/). Once the initial installer runs, you can then run THAT installer under a normal user account, with wow installed in the "proper" ~/Applications/WoW/ folder.

Be careful though, the installer will default to putting the beta in $HOME/World of Warcraft Beta/ instead of in $HOME/Applications/

====
Spoke too soon. the installer crashes about 2% in when run under a standard user account. It too must be run under an account with admin rights. Security? Why would you want security?

If the beta or the game requires admin rights to run, I guess I will not be testing or upgrading. I simply refuse to run applications that require admin accounts.

ezarra 07-26-10 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 200219)
Read the rest of that Policy ezarra.

I did. "failure to abide by them may result in measures up to and including taking formal legal action. "

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow (Post 200219)
It's a policy that Blizzard would like to see addon developers follow.

It has nothing to do with an addon authors right to sell their addon.

All Blizzard can do is ban the use of that sold addon in game.

I don't know what page you are reading, but threatening legal action for failing to abide by their policies (policies which clearly exert ownership rights over the code, btw) doesn't sound like "a policy blizzard would like to see". Sounds like a policy backed up by swarms of liars.

MysticalOS 07-26-10 01:51 PM

i logged into beta US pve realm and i can't find the author guild with who, did they make you change the name of it yet? :p

henrik_s 07-26-10 02:23 PM

Fantastic! Thanks alot, guys.

Is the inital download fully patched or can I expect a bunch of patches after installing?

Bluspacecow 07-26-10 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezarra (Post 200224)
I did. "failure to abide by them may result in measures up to and including taking formal legal action. "

Trouble with that is there's no way it would stand up in court.

Blizzard can only enforce what happens inside their game. They don't have a leg to stand on enforcing authors not to sell their addons when that transaction happens outside of game.
Quote:

I don't know what page you are reading, but threatening legal action for failing to abide by their policies (policies which clearly exert ownership rights over the code, btw) doesn't sound like "a policy blizzard would like to see". Sounds like a policy backed up by swarms of liars.
No it's a policy backed up by a bully who knows full well that no addon author can hope to raise the cash necessary for a full legal case going through the courts vs Blizzard Entertainment / Activision.

This still does not give them ownership rights over addon authors code.