WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lua/XML Help (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   From table to XML (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52275)

Yukyuk 05-06-15 06:10 AM

From table to XML

Am developing my addon, Historia.
Have set up the database as I want it, but am now running into a problem.

Can't figure out a decent way to put a table I have into the XML its supposed to go.
Its basically a simple table with the players levels and a time when the player gained that level.
Sure, I could define a 100 possible fontstring(s) in my XML file but there is problably a more elegant way to handle this.
Also would like to do this without a scrolling table.

Any help is appriciated.

Lua Code:
  1. ["Level"] = {
  2.         {
  3.             ["time"] = 1430830617,
  4.             ["level"] = 1,
  5.         }, -- [1]
  6.         {
  7.             ["time"] = 1430830830,
  8.             ["level"] = 2,
  9.         }, -- [2]
  10.         {
  11.             ["time"] = 1430845053,
  12.             ["level"] = 3,
  13.         }, -- [3]
  14.         {
  15.             ["time"] = 1430845452,
  16.             ["level"] = 4,
  17.         }, -- [4]
  18.         {
  19.             ["time"] = 1430845770,
  20.             ["level"] = 5,
  21.         }, -- [5]
  22.     }

myrroddin 05-06-15 07:31 AM

Yes there is a simple way: don't use XML. XML is really only for setting up a frame that never changes, but you can do 99.9% of all frame related things in Lua, which is infinitely easier to read, and more importantly, debug.

In your ADDON_LOADED function (see my other post), assuming your saved variables in the ToC are called HistoriaDB, it should look something like this:
Code:

function private_table.eventFrame:ADDON_LOADED(AddOn)
    if not AddOn == MyAddOn then
        return
    end

private_table.eventFrame:UnregisterEvent("ADDON_LOADED")
    HistoriaDB = HistoriaDB or {}
end

function private_table.eventFrame:PLAYER_LEVEL_UP(player_level)
    HistoriaDB["player"] = {name = UnitName("player"), level = player_level, current_time = GetTime()}
end

myrroddin 05-06-15 07:35 AM

If you want your saved variables' table structure to look more like your example, then change this line:
Code:

HistoriaDB["Level"] = {time = GetTime(), level = player_level}

SDPhantom 05-06-15 12:45 PM

You forgot the end parenthesis on UnitName("player" :D

Yukyuk 05-07-15 12:30 PM

Quote:

Yes there is a simple way: don't use XML. XML is really only for setting up a frame that never changes, but you can do 99.9% of all frame related things in Lua, which is infinitely easier to read, and more importantly, debug.
Yes you are right (of course :) ).
Made my first frame in lua today, easy :o

Dorwido 05-07-15 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrroddin (Post 308632)

In your ADDON_LOADED function (see my other post), assuming your saved variables in the ToC are called HistoriaDB, it should look something like this:
Code:

function private_table.eventFrame:ADDON_LOADED(AddOn)
    if not AddOn == MyAddOn then
        return
    end

private_table.eventFrame:UnregisterEvent("ADDON_LOADED")
    HistoriaDB = HistoriaDB or {}
end

function private_table.eventFrame:PLAYER_LEVEL_UP(player_level)
    HistoriaDB["player"] = {name = UnitName("player"), level = player_level, current_time = GetTime()}
end

you should overwork
"if not AddOn == MyAddOn then
return
end"

2nd time i see you posting that which wont work

Torhal 05-07-15 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorwido (Post 308674)
you should overwork
"if not AddOn == MyAddOn then
return
end"

2nd time i see you posting that which wont work

Reposting what I posted in another thread:

That's because "not AddOn" evaluates to false if AddOn is non-nil and true otherwise. So that line is essentially saying "if false/true == MyAddOn then" which isn't at all what you want for a string comparison. :D

Banknorris 05-07-15 05:23 PM

I think it would be more didactic to mention that it is an operator precedence issue:
not (which is a unary operator, with the operand on the right side of the operator) will be evaluated in the expression before the == operator (which is a binary operator, with one operand to the left and one the right of the operator). And that is because not has a higher operator precedence than ==.
http://www.lua.org/pil/3.5.html

so

not AddOn == MyAddOn

is the same as

(not Addon) == MyAddon

instead of

not (Addon == MyAddOn)

When you want to change the evaluation order, you can use the parentheses like in the last expression. So
Code:

if not (AddOn == MyAddOn) then
        return
end

Torhal 05-07-15 05:43 PM

Or just use
Code:

if AddOn ~= MyAddOn then

SDPhantom 05-07-15 07:52 PM

Internally, these two do the exact same operations in the Lua engine. The only difference is the later is in C code for both operations instead of popping in and out of the Lua code. The result is the second is slightly faster than the first.

Code:

not (var1 == var2)
Code:

var1 ~= var2

Yukyuk 05-08-15 11:34 AM

Took myrroddin's advice and coded part of my addon in lua instead of XML.
Would like to get the opinion of this community of how well I did.
There is problably room for improvement :p

This is the result of the coding (its part of a larger frame that is defined in XML).

And this is the code:
Lua Code:
  1. function addon:Levels()
  2.     -- log(format("Historia levels"))
  3.     --  Define the container frame for the level frames (MC  = Middle container)
  4.     local Historia_Level_MC = CreateFrame("FRAME", "Historia_Level_MC", Historia_UI_Level);
  5.     Historia_Level_MC:SetPoint("TOP" ,"Historia_Level_Header1", 0, -48)
  6.     Historia_Level_MC:SetPoint("BOTTOM" ,"Historia_UI_Level", 0, 32)
  7.     Historia_Level_MC:SetPoint("LEFT" ,"Historia_UI_Level", 32, 0)
  8.     Historia_Level_MC:SetPoint("RIGHT" ,"Historia_UI_Level", -32, 0)
  9.     Historia_Level_MC:SetBackdrop({bgFile = "Interface/DialogFrame/UI-DialogBox-Background",
  10.                    edgeFile = "Interface/Tooltips/UI-Tooltip-Border",
  11.                    tile = true, tileSize = 32, edgeSize = 16,
  12.                    insets = { left = 0, right = 0, top = 5, bottom = 5 }});
  14.     --  Define the frame for the first group of levels (ML1 = Middle Level one)            
  15.     local Historia_Level_ML1 = CreateFrame("FRAME", "Historia_Level_ML1", Historia_Level_MC);
  16.     Historia_Level_ML1:SetPoint("TOP" ,"Historia_Level_MC", 0, -0)
  17.     Historia_Level_ML1:SetPoint("BOTTOM" ,"Historia_Level_MC", 0, 0)
  18.     Historia_Level_ML1:SetPoint("LEFT" ,"Historia_Level_MC", 0, 0)
  19.     Historia_Level_ML1:SetPoint("RIGHT" ,"Historia_Level_MC", "LEFT", 40, 0)
  20.     Historia_Level_ML1:SetBackdrop({bgFile = "Interface/DialogFrame/UI-DialogBox-Background",
  21.                    edgeFile = "Interface/Tooltips/UI-Tooltip-Border",
  22.                    tile = true, tileSize = 32, edgeSize = 16,
  23.                    insets = { left = 0, right = 0, top = 5, bottom = 5 }});
  25.     --  Define the frame for the first group of dates (MD1 = Middle Date one)              
  26.     local Historia_Level_MD1 = CreateFrame("FRAME", "Historia_Level_MD1", Historia_Level_MC);
  27.     Historia_Level_MD1:SetPoint("TOP" ,"Historia_Level_MC", 0, -0)
  28.     Historia_Level_MD1:SetPoint("BOTTOM" ,"Historia_Level_MC", 0, 0)
  29.     Historia_Level_MD1:SetPoint("LEFT" ,"Historia_Level_MC", 36, 0)
  30.     Historia_Level_MD1:SetPoint("RIGHT" ,"Historia_Level_MC", "LEFT", 200, 0)
  31.     Historia_Level_MD1:SetBackdrop({bgFile = "Interface/DialogFrame/UI-DialogBox-Background",
  32.                    edgeFile = "Interface/Tooltips/UI-Tooltip-Border",
  33.                    tile = true, tileSize = 32, edgeSize = 16,
  34.                    insets = { left = 0, right = 0, top = 5, bottom = 5 }});                    
  36.     --  Define the header fontstring for the first group of levels (HLML1 = Historia Level ML1)
  37.     local HLML1 = Historia_Level_ML1:CreateFontString("HLML1", "ARTWORK", "GameFontWhite")
  38.     HLML1:SetPoint("TOP" ,"Historia_Level_ML1", 0, -10)
  39.     HLML1:SetText(L['Level'])
  40.     --  Define the header fontstring for the first group of dates (HLML1 = Historia Date ML1)
  41.     local HLMD1 = Historia_Level_MD1:CreateFontString("HLMD1", "ARTWORK", "GameFontWhite")
  42.     HLMD1:SetPoint("TOP" ,"Historia_Level_MD1", 0, -10)
  43.     HLMD1:SetText(L['Date'])   
  44.     --  Set the levels and the date in the UI
  45.     for i = 1, #HistoriaLocalDb.Level do
  46.         local HLML1L1 = Historia_Level_ML1:CreateFontString("HLML1L1", "ARTWORK", "GameFontWhite")
  47.             HLML1L1:SetPoint("TOP", "Historia_Level_ML1", 0, -((i+1)*12))
  48.             HLML1L1:SetText(tostring(HistoriaLocalDb.Level[i].level))
  49.         local HLML1D1 = Historia_Level_MD1:CreateFontString("HLML1D1", "ARTWORK", "GameFontNormal")
  50.             HLML1D1:SetPoint("TOP" ,"Historia_Level_MD1", "TOP", 0, -((i+1)*12))
  51.             HLML1D1:SetText(format(date("%a, %b %d %Y %H:%M", HistoriaLocalDb.Level[i].time))) 
  52.     end
  53. end

myrroddin 05-08-15 03:46 PM

You can add some readability and breathing room by breaking chunks into paragraphs. Also, when localizing, you can refer to the global strings, which are built-in localizations of common strings. For example, replace
Code:

HLML1:SetText(L['Level'])
with
Code:

HLML1:SetText(LEVEL)
As for your columns, I would suggest adding, as the first column, the character name, because many players have alts. And see what you can do about justifying the columns as center-aligned.

A good start!