WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Up to which point is nameplate modification allowed? (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56814)

seyan777 10-29-18 08:55 PM

Up to which point is nameplate modification allowed?

I am on my newest journey to modify the Blizzard's default nameplate.

Currently the project includes:
  • Custom aura frame
  • Health percentage text
  • Texture update
  • So on

Afaik, the nameplate modification has been partially(?) blocked in instances like dungeon or raid.

Is there any documentation that lists such things? or Is it basically every single modification that is blocked?

Kanegasi 10-29-18 09:04 PM

Any code that touches any part of friendly nameplates and any chat bubbles is blocked in instances. Enemy nameplates are not affected.

seyan777 10-29-18 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanegasi (Post 330687)
Any code that touches any part of friendly nameplates and any chat bubbles is blocked in instances. Enemy nameplates are not affected.

Oh, is it friendly nameplates only?

That's actually a good new for me as my project is mainly focused on enemy nameplates :)

Thanks for the clarification, Kanegasi!

One more question tho!

In case if I have both, friendly and enemy nameplates, enabled, would the client handle itself to avoid any taints? Or should I perform unit check to see if the assigned unit is friendly or not?

p3lim 10-30-18 12:43 PM

The game handles that for you. If you show both friendly and enemy nameplates in a dungeon and you've modified the nameplates, the enemy nameplates will have the modifications, the friendly will not. Both will be modified outside of dungeons tho'.

seyan777 10-30-18 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p3lim (Post 330692)
The game handles that for you. If you show both friendly and enemy nameplates in a dungeon and you've modified the nameplates, the enemy nameplates will have the modifications, the friendly will not. Both will be modified outside of dungeons tho'.

That's great!

Thanks for the clarification :D!!

Xruptor 11-05-18 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seyan777 (Post 330686)
I am on my newest journey to modify the Blizzard's default nameplate.

Currently the project includes:
  • Custom aura frame
  • Health percentage text
  • Texture update
  • So on

Afaik, the nameplate modification has been partially(?) blocked in instances like dungeon or raid.

Is there any documentation that lists such things? or Is it basically every single modification that is blocked?

I suppose you can grab the nameplates using either of the following:

C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit
C_NamePlate.GetNamePlates

Then determine if a nameplate is friendly using either of the following:

isFriend = UnitIsFriend("unit","otherunit");
UnitIsEnemy("unit","otherunit")

Then determine if you are in an instance.

inInstance, instanceType = IsInInstance()
There are several other ways to determine this.

That way you can know when or when not to touch the Friendly Nameplates. I'm not entirely sure there is a direct way to determine if a nameplate is friendly unless it has a tag I'm not aware of. (For Example nameplateObject.IsFriendly) Another way to determine if you can use a nameplate or not is checking to see if that particular one is locked.

There is a function that Blizzard uses called CanAccessObject(object). It will return true if you can access an object without taint or if it's locked for whatever reason. You can use this to check if a nameplate object is locked for any reason.