WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Magelo for WoW Now in Beta!! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16537)

OrcanWonder 06-02-08 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alkar (Post 92537)
I have to say you are all incredibly funny.. Who cares if you don't want to use it cause you don't understand how it works. Who cares if you want to use it there is no reason to bite peoples heads off.. This person was just giving some information. I used Magelo for yrs and yrs with EQ also. It's a prog that has been around for a very long time. Like i said befor who cares if your goin to use it or not. Nobody was askin if you were. ?Just give out info about the prog :P


Actually, I'm glad the others weighed in with their opinions, I totally agreed with the one that said "Blizzard is not SOE and WoW is not EQ". Both programs have different TOS's. By others giving their opinion I now have more information to decide for myself to try the software and take the chance of getting banned or not. And considering that I really enjoy playing the game, I'll settle on not trying it and continue playing with peace of mind.

Evolution85 06-02-08 09:33 AM

Nobody is " rippin peoples heads off " :(

People are just pointing out that this acts as a 3rd person program. And as such is a violation of the TOS. And can get you BANNED.

How would you like to be an innocent player and get banned over something like this???

Kaomie 06-02-08 09:57 AM

Yes that was my only point, Cairenn reply was a bit too much "okay it's kool" for me and I think it could have implicitly led people to think it was totally safe to use this, while this has yet to be agreed upon. Seerah cleared up things afterwards. Now if Silenia decides to take offense and leave instead of maybe keeping the dialog open and relaying the info to Magelo not much we can do, can we?

Not coming back on Alkar self-contradicting post. "Ignorance is bliss" like they say :p

Seerah 06-02-08 10:21 AM

Well, Cairenn was a big EQ player, and loved magelo for EQ. Which EQ was fine with. So, she was originally excited. When we started talking about how it worked and thinking about the TOS, though, she's as concerned about it as the rest of us.


For those of you who are curious, the relevant part of WoW's Terms of Use is this:
Quote:

4. Limitations on Your Use of the Service
B. You agree that you will not ... (iii) use any third-party software that intercepts, "mines", or otherwise collects information from or through the Program or the Service.


To Silenia:
I hope you do not choose to leave this community. I don't believe that anyone was jumping on you, we just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the risks and the TOS. Thank you for your link to the app - it does look very interesting, and I would use it myself if i knew for certain that it was safe. Yet, alas, we do not know if it is approved by Blizzard. That is the only point we are trying to make. Please, take our concerns back to the Magelo staff and reconsider your choice of leaving. :)

Petrah 06-02-08 11:06 AM

http://wow.magelo.com/forum/messages.jspa?topic=4010

Cairenn 06-02-08 11:15 AM

Can everyone please stop getting their panties in a twist? We don't know for sure if Blizz will be okay with this program or not. No one has said definitively that you will get your account banned if you use it. No one has said definitively that you won't. Hows about everyone takes a step back and wait until we can get some verification from Blizz, hmmm?

kasca 06-02-08 11:32 AM

Why shouldn't they ok it. They ok the cheat programs by not going after them! Please don't tell me they do. Do a BG and watch the 5party or shm doing everything insink or the melee classes who cast human graphic heals on themselves over and over again.

erica647 06-02-08 11:32 AM

I was just wondering too if an application that runs outside of WoW to gather information could also be exploited by a keylogger to grab account info behind the scenes. As I don't know what kind of security measures they have taken and I don't know how Blizzard security differs from EQ, I'm making this statement as a purely random thought.

Please pardon our ignorance Silenia as we learn more about this and how it might work with WoW. This has nothing to do with our confidence in you or your word of confidence about this app... we just ask your patience as we assure that it's safe (and legal) with WoW.

Petrah 06-02-08 11:39 AM

To be honest with you, I never thought anything of it. I mean, yes Bliz and Sony are two different companies and yes they have a different set of rules. However, Sony is no different than Bliz in that they do not allow you to use 3rd party software. Hell, after quitting EQ and then coming to this area of the site once I began playing WoW, I totally flipped out because you guys offered addons. I immediately thought they were illegal simply because they are in EQ. Of course, after talking with a friend (and getting laughed at) I was assured that addons for WoW are legit even though they are outlawed in EQ.

However, I can see what you're saying about the TOU/TOS 3rd party software. I will just find it ironic if it plays out that Magelo is a bannable offense, thats all.

I've written private email to Jelan and also posted over there. We'll see what happens. I hope we can use it as I love the service and it will positively put the Armory and all the others to shame.

Edit: I know it doesnt matter, but I wanted to say it anyway. Most, if not all, of the high end raiding guilds in EQ will not accept an applicant without a Magelo profile. That's how good the service is.

Evolution85 06-02-08 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasca (Post 92555)
Why shouldn't they ok it. They ok the cheat programs by not going after them! Please don't tell me they do. Do a BG and watch the 5party or shm doing everything insink or the melee classes who cast human graphic heals on themselves over and over again.

/sigh.

People who KNOWINGLY use 3rd party programs KNOW the risk they are taking.

People who innocently download a program thinking it is perfectly legal DONT know the risk they are taking.

Understand?

Cairenn 06-02-08 11:45 AM

/me hugs Silenia. I was all excited about it too, as was obvious by my first post. I adored it back in EQ. But then I thought about it more and realized that it might be a problem. Hence our follow up posts removing the links until we can find out for sure. It truly wasn't anything against you Silenia, you should know us better than that by now. :)

I am trying to talk to my friends at Blizz to see if any of them can give me a definitive answer. So everyone just relax about it until we can find out, please?

And for those of you who are quoting chapter and verse to belittle other users: Stop.

a) You aren't Blizzard. They have made exceptions before. Let me investigate. Quoting chapter and verse in and of itself is fine, except for the fact that:
b) You are breaking the site rules. Courtesy and respect, remember?

Saying that it appears to break the ToU/EULA as it currently stands is one thing. Using those to tell someone they are stupid for not understanding your point is something else entirely, and that is completely unacceptable. I quote the ToU/EULA as much or more than you, believe me, but I don't do it in such a way as to be rude to someone else. Not to mention the fact that I'm asking them about it, so why not just wait and see what sort of answer I get?

Petrah 06-02-08 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erica647 (Post 92556)
I was just wondering too if an application that runs outside of WoW to gather information could also be exploited by a keylogger to grab account info behind the scenes. As I don't know what kind of security measures they have taken and I don't know how Blizzard security differs from EQ, I'm making this statement as a purely random thought.

I notice you're an addon author, so I will assume you have some programming experience. Why don't you post over there and ask about the keylogger stuff and what precautions they are taking for security? I personally wouldn't know where to begin to ask about such things.

Slakah 06-02-08 11:46 AM

On a brighter note, if this is legit then it looks pretty damn cool.

Petrah 06-02-08 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 92560)
/me hugs Silenia. I was all excited about it too, as was obvious by my first post. I adored it back in EQ. But then I thought about it more and realized that it might be a problem. Hence our follow up posts removing the links until we can find out for sure. It truly wasn't anything against you Silenia, you should know us better than that by now. :)

I am trying to talk to my friends at Blizz to see if any of them can give me a definitive answer. So everyone just relax about it until we can find out, please?

/hugs back

I'm sorry I was overly sensative. I just got so excited because I remember before I even considered playing that Jelan had mentioned working on Magelo for WoW (it's been that long), so I know that the project has been a long time in the making. Since quitting EQ I have been dropping by the Magelo site every now and then to see if I could find out any news, and lo and behold there it was. I never thought for a moment about the TOS and I guess I should have.

Cairenn 06-02-08 11:54 AM

Ditto sweetie, ditto.

No worries, just glad you aren't leaving us. :)

erica647 06-02-08 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 92565)
Ditto sweetie, ditto.

No worries, just glad you aren't leaving us. :)

I just want to say me too Silenia... glad you're staying! :)

Seerah 06-02-08 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenia (Post 92551)

Thank you, dear. :)

Petrah 06-02-08 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erica647 (Post 92566)
I just want to say me too Silenia... glad you're staying! :)

omg stop.. you're causing my tear ducts to secrete extra fluids :p

Kaomie 06-02-08 12:11 PM

Hooray everyones on the same page now!

Was a bit bumpy but it did raise the level of awareness on the ToS point ;)

Thanks,

Petrah 06-02-08 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah (Post 92569)
Thank you, dear. :)

Jelan lives in Switzerland, so it may take a bit to get a reply. Hopefully it will be soon... not knowing is bugging me lol.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.

vBulletin © 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
© 2004 - 2020 MMOUI