WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Busy Forums... (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15275)

Petrah 03-13-08 12:30 AM

Busy Forums...

It's fixing to get busy here on the forums I think.... my background downloader is downloading patch 2.4. (251mb)

Meh, gonna suck with broken addons for awhile :(

Cairenn 03-13-08 12:39 AM

Yup, 2.4 is going to be massive. It's going to be the biggest patch for mods since 2.0. There are going to be a lot of broken mods. People really want to be on the lookout for updated versions as quickly as the authors pump them out, so you aren't scrambling on patch day itself. A number of authors already have updates available (some of them as "beta" versions) which you can help them test on the PTRs to help make sure they'll be gtg when it goes live.

It's gonna be another wild ride though. :D

Dolby 03-13-08 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 85147)
It's gonna be another wild ride though. :D

wet'n wild ?

Petrah 03-13-08 12:44 AM

Ok... so this isn't the patch patch, but a prerelease patch in patched bits before the real patch? (omg, not sure if that made any sense LOL)

Dolby 03-13-08 12:46 AM

Probably a patch that contains all the large texture files and large files that aren't likely to change while they fix bugs. That way on patch day you have a smaller patch of just the changes they made while fixing the bugs.

Just my guess. :)

Cairenn 03-13-08 12:49 AM

Aye, it's a "background" download that lets them distribute it to their users over time instead of having everyone trying to get the full download on patch day itself. Come patch day it (should) just be a little download to finish it off and push it live.

Cairenn 03-13-08 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby (Post 85148)
wet'n wild ?

Petrah 03-13-08 12:50 AM

Cool... I'm actually a tad relieved. I'm not in the mood for a broken UI with AV weekend coming up lol. I've got pvp stuff to buy darnit! :banana:

Petrah 03-13-08 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 85152)

omg you two, get a room lol

Cairenn 03-13-08 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenia (Post 85154)
omg you two, get a room lol

hehehehehe

Layrajha 03-13-08 03:07 AM

Are you planning on running a low-bw version of wowi when the patch is released? ;)

Dolby 03-13-08 03:11 AM

The dark theme is low bandwidth already.

Qwerty55 03-14-08 04:44 AM

A massive new patch! Right when I was getting back into WoW, and looking for addons, too.

Raptorz 03-14-08 07:23 AM

Btw, can I just delete all of the files in the "Patches" folder after i have updated my WoW to 2.4? Because im running out of space on my hard drives and the folder takes like 1.5gb room. :/

Zyonin 03-14-08 07:59 AM

You can delete the downloaded patches after they have been installed. However you may want to archive them somewhere else just in case you have to do a wipe and reinstall of WoW (bug, new HD, worm, siblings/parents/GF or BF/Souse meddling where they shouldn't, etc). It will save you a lot of time over downloading the patches all over again.

At least most of my UI is 2.4 ready as I have been testing on the PTR, so it will be just a matter of cutting and pasting my AddOns folders. From my experiance only AddOns that parse the Combat log have been affected although those that affected are some pretty heavy hitters like Omen, MSBT, and mods that can display mob HP. However many of writers of those mods are on keeping on top of things and have working on 2.4 ready versions that are currently out in some kind of alpha or beta form. Most UI mods however have not been affected other than to revamp some of their UI to use the new UI menu coming with 2.4. You can start grabbing the 2.4 versions of the mods that you use the most, now and keep em handy until the patch actually hits so you don't have to deal with the thundering herd choking the mod sites come Patch Day.