WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chit-Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WoW Honours Survey (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53219)

patphyo 03-10-16 10:54 PM

WoW Honours Survey
 
Hello Guys,
My name is Patrick Win and I have been playing WoW for quite a while now but I stopped playing about three months after WoD came out. I am currently doing my honours degree on Computer Science (Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, Australia) with a topic of “Should a PC game User Interface (UI) be modifiable/customisable?” There have been very few researches done on UI customisation and zero to none to Game UI customisation.
I previously hold a general survey (for all games) on UI customisation and now I’m doing it specifically for WoW. There will be around 10 questions depending on choices you make and will take around 5 minutes to complete the survey. Unfortunately, I am not able to offer any incentives due to how ethics policies and regulations work in Australia but your time and input will surely help the gaming community further extend the knowledge on Game UI Customisation.
If you do decide to take the survey, please follow the link below and read the information sheet carefully which can be found on the first two pages of the survey. The survey will close on 27th March, 2016 and the final paper is expected to be released somewhere around June, 2016. The link to the final paper will be posted on this forum when it gets released.
Thank you so much for your time and your contribution.
Survey Link - https://www.research.net/r/WoWaddons

Fizzlemizz 03-10-16 11:38 PM

Starting a "non-bias" survey with some personal grievances of your experience is probably not going to win confidence to take the survey.

patphyo 03-10-16 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz (Post 313544)
Starting a "non-bias" survey with some personal grievances of your experience is probably not going to win confidence to take the survey.

Point Taken. Cheers

Fizzlemizz 03-11-16 12:20 AM

Just to clarify, my response wasn't to the survey questions which I haven't looked at, it was to the perceived bias in the original post above.

SDPhantom 03-11-16 01:10 AM

Some questions, namely 13, 14, and 15, assume the participant actively engages in PvP and/or uses addons for PvP. You should rework these to accommodate participants that these don't apply to in either situation.

Yukyuk 03-11-16 10:46 AM

Was very tempted to answer that I have been playing wow for 30 years :)

Seerah 03-11-16 12:14 PM

I would like to point out that Recount isn't the only damage meter addon out there - there are... 5? (Recount isn't even the original.)

So, no, I don't use Recount and do not plan on using Recount in the future. But if your goal was to find if I used a damage meter addon, then that is what the question should have asked.

jeffy162 03-11-16 06:32 PM

Recount - an addon for WoW that I have absolutely no intention of using. I don't use any damage meters at all. I have no use for them since I only play PvE and don't do any, repeat A N Y, PvP play at all, including doing dungeons and raids and general world PvP. My graphics in my laptop won't handle it. I have an HP Envy w/Intel HD Graphics 4600 integrated graphics and an i7-4710HQ processor @ 2.50 GH. I should be able to do it, but my graphics driver (yes, I've got, supposedly, the latest one[or so my software tells me]) "crashes and recovers" whenever it feels like it. I don't see a reason to put anyone else through that.

Resike 03-11-16 08:22 PM

I think no matter what damage meter addon do you use, some people will always/simply name it as recount.

Seerah 03-11-16 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resike (Post 313557)
I think no matter what damage meter addon do you use, some people will always/simply name it as recount.

Again...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seerah
But if your goal was to find if I used a damage meter addon, then that is what the question should have asked.

Because I answered no for those questions.

myrroddin 03-12-16 05:00 AM

Considering I use Skada rather than Recount, I answered the questions in the spirit they were asked. However, it should be noted that damage meters are more likely to inspire a player to increase their DPS, but damage meters do not, strictly speaking, truly help a player increase damage throughput.

I use EventHorizon, which does increase DPS if you follow the graph, and I have heard of, but never used, AddOns that prompt which spell to cast next.

Having never used the latter, as far as I can tell, the prompting-style AddOns may tell you what spell to cast next, but not when. I just find EventHorizon more intuitive on both fronts.

On a different note, I was taken aback by two questions which seemingly ask the same question. Do you customize your UI, and do you use AddOns? Yes, I know that for some time, you can unlock and move the base UI elements, thus allowing customization, but that feature came several years after WoW's launch. When most players think of UI customization, they are thinking about AddOns, not moving built in frames.

Resike 03-12-16 06:51 AM

I disagree, when i was in a high end PVE guild, i could spend hours with a training dummy and a damage meter addon, just to determine the best rotation for PVE Arms, and to decide which triket would be better for certain bosses.
And i'm talking about a stance dance cataclysm arms warrior with casttime slam and extra rend ticks, which was way too underrepresended due the complexity of it's rotation.

Of course when i shared my stuff on the ElitistJerks i got banned from an admin who surprisesurprise was anoter PVE Arms warrior.

I think i still have my old spread sheet somewhere:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=799891812

patphyo 03-13-16 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrroddin (Post 313564)
Considering I use Skada rather than Recount, I answered the questions in the spirit they were asked. However, it should be noted that damage meters are more likely to inspire a player to increase their DPS, but damage meters do not, strictly speaking, truly help a player increase damage throughput.

I use EventHorizon, which does increase DPS if you follow the graph, and I have heard of, but never used, AddOns that prompt which spell to cast next.

Having never used the latter, as far as I can tell, the prompting-style AddOns may tell you what spell to cast next, but not when. I just find EventHorizon more intuitive on both fronts.

On a different note, I was taken aback by two questions which seemingly ask the same question. Do you customize your UI, and do you use AddOns? Yes, I know that for some time, you can unlock and move the base UI elements, thus allowing customization, but that feature came several years after WoW's launch. When most players think of UI customization, they are thinking about AddOns, not moving built in frames.

Yeh I intentionally put in two similar questions to see how wow players respond. Thanks for pointing it out though :D

patphyo 03-18-16 04:02 PM

Update: Thanks for participating in the survey and we have reached 44 survey results all thanks to you guys. The survey will close on 27/03/2016 so there is still about a week left to complete. Thanks again.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.

vBulletin © 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd
© 2004 - 2020 MMOUI