WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   General WoW Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   I have never realised this... (slash commands) (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48783)

Haleth 01-09-14 10:38 AM

I have never realised this... (slash commands)

So apparently, if you type a slash in the chat edit box, and then press tab, it will try to auto complete the slash command for you. For example, if you type /a and then press tab, if will suggest /afk. If you press tab again, it will suggest more commands beginning with a. If you just type a slash, you can tab through all available slash commands.

This also works with custom commands created by addons, of course. It doesn't work if the edit box is currently in whisper mode though, it has to be a regular channel like guild or say.

This might be common knowledge, but it's the first time I've seen this :o

Clamsoda 01-09-14 12:04 PM

Uhhh.....just blew my mind.

Resike 01-09-14 12:29 PM

Linux users are not impressed. :)

10leej 01-09-14 12:39 PM

Hmm didn't know about that.

MoonWitch 01-09-14 01:27 PM

Seriously?

*logs on to test*

Malsomnus 01-09-14 02:15 PM

Woah! :o
That's brilliant!

Nimhfree 01-09-14 04:54 PM

I wish there a way to get the parameters to functions officially registered so tabbing would allow you to see all options to a command. Otherwise developers need to provide something like "/grail help" and assume people are used to asking for help in such a manner. :-)

Phanx 01-09-14 05:27 PM

The old AceTab-2.0 did that for addons usince Ace options tables... but slash commands with parameters are rather passé these days. Ain't nobody got time for that!

10leej 01-09-14 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 289458)
The old AceTab-2.0 did that for addons usince Ace options tables... but slash commands with parameters are rather passé these days. Ain't nobody got time for that!

If it helps I prefer slash commands that way i don't have to click anything.

Plus you can just save all the slash commands as macro's for an instant setup on some addons

MoonWitch 01-09-14 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 289464)
If it helps I prefer slash commands that way i don't have to click anything.

Plus you can just save all the slash commands as macro's for an instant setup on some addons

HA! I knew I wasn't the only one!

One thing annoys me though, I use 'em for /prof (open professions tab) but get taint :(

Phanx 01-09-14 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 289464)

What addons are you using that don't save their own settings!?

Seerah 01-09-14 09:25 PM

The server saves macros. The server doesn't save SV's. At least I believe this is what he is getting at. ;)

10leej 01-09-14 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 289470)
What addons are you using that don't save their own settings!?

I actually roll a new character at least once a week because I can't commit myself to just one >.>

Plus what Seerah said

Phanx 01-09-14 11:21 PM

Unless you're playing on a new computer every week and have no way to get files from one hard drive to another, you're better of just putting all that setup stuff in an addon. Using macros to set up your UI sounds incredibly masochistic.

10leej 01-10-14 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 289481)
Unless you're playing on a new computer every week and have no way to get files from one hard drive to another, you're better of just putting all that setup stuff in an addon. Using macros to set up your UI sounds incredibly masochistic.

Probably but it has a certain feeling of awesome when one presses a button and suddenly everything is setup.

Nimhfree 01-10-14 09:00 AM

Before I made an addon to make my tweaks to the default UI, all of the bits were done in macros (moving the right action bars to horizontal in the middle almost took all 255 macro characters). It allowed me to tweak the settings and since I had the macros bound I would just roll my fingers across a bunch of numbers for the changes to take place. Of course I knew eventually it would all become an addon, but for development purposes editing the macro was a little easier than doing the addon and reloading the UI. Plus there is a little fun in hitting the macro button and seeing the UI dance around. :-)

Nimhfree 01-10-14 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanx (Post 289458)
but slash commands with parameters are rather passé these days. Ain't nobody got time for that!

I can understand how society moves on*, but since Grail is really a library and there is no UI, I was not going to make a preferences panel. Plus the way I add parameters allows me to have an "admin" addon that adds extra commands easily without me having to tinker with UI elements in a preferences panel. (For the preference panels I do create I do not use any library so tend to keep things simple so I do not strain myself coding.)

*Of course we all know society is wrong with this click attitude. The mouse is evil. Keep your fingers on the keyboard at all time. :-)

Marthisdil 01-10-14 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resike (Post 289440)
Linux users are not impressed. :)

DOS command prompt users are less impressed with unimpressed Linux users....

Dridzt 01-10-14 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthisdil (Post 289497)

Erm where do you think Billy got DOS from? :p

Resike 01-10-14 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthisdil (Post 289497)

Good, there is noting more embarrasing then an impressed DOS user.