WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pet Loyalty/Happiness Request (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50347)

Crotalus horridus 11-01-14 04:23 PM

Pet Loyalty/Happiness Request

After asking for assistance at the Petopia forums (to no avail), I decided to come here for help in acquiring an addon that would effectively restore both pet happiness and pet loyalty for hunter pets.

Note: Considering the fact that pet happiness affected your DPS if it wasn't maintained properly, it will be receiving the most significant change out of the two if the addon(s) is even incarnated. Below this will be the basic gist of what I have in mind.

Loyalty -
Loyalty will remain nearly identical to how it was in the game. If you didn't have a chance to experience it, than you can find more information on it here: http://wowpedia.org/Loyalty
The only changes with loyalty that I had in mind would be to focus its gain primarily on how often the pet is used and for how long it remains in use. The time requirements for the six ranks would be as follows;

Rebellious (Rank 1) - N/A
Unruly (Rank 2) - 1 Week
Submissive (Rank 3) - 2 Weeks (Submissive can/may be renamed as "Compliant.")
Dependable (Rank 4) - 3 Weeks
Faithful (Rank 5) - 4 Weeks
Best Friend (Rank 6) - 5 Weeks (Roughly one month)

Note: Happiness will not affect loyalty.

Happiness -
Unlike its original form, pet happiness will not directly affect your DPS (this should be obvious).

It will, however, still be raised with food given to the pet as well as via killing monsters all throughout Azeroth, Outland and Draenor. Happiness will be; like how it originally was, on a timer. Now, however, said timer should be much longer and should leave you with a much less demanding pet.

Out of both of these ideas, I suspect that my version of happiness will be the hardest to code due to the amount of food items in the game (if that's even a problem). As such, feel free to simplify it, remove it entirely, or to simply inquire for more information as to what I request.

sakurakira 11-01-14 05:28 PM

Just as a note to anyone who might work on this addon: the original icons for pet happiness are still in the WoW Interface files under Interface\PetPaperDollFrame\UI-PetHappiness.blp.

Crotalus horridus 11-09-14 12:41 PM

If anyone happens to be working on the addon, feel free to give an update or two in this thread (or in a private message).

meljen 11-09-14 02:40 PM

I think this idea sounds so neat - it would be fun to add that bit of 'roleplay' to our pets again.

jeruku 11-13-14 10:50 AM

So is anyone working on this yet?
If not I would like to know how many people would be interested in something like this.

Phanx 11-13-14 08:15 PM

I suspect if anyone was working on this they'd have posted here already. Unfortunately, while it's a neat idea, it would be a huge amount of work, for no real gameplay benefit, so it's just a really hard sell. There's also the fact that pet loyalty and happiness have both been out of the game for years now (loyalty was removed 6 years ago!) so chances are that if any addon author really wanted to bring them back, they'd have done it already. You might have better luck seeking out authors in the roleplaying community.

jeruku 11-13-14 09:27 PM

As the saying goes, "What am I, chopped liver?"
Not into role-play myself but I was just asking for a head count to see if there was enough 'intrigue' rather than 'interest'.

Also, where does the difficulty lie in this idea? Seems straight forward enough the more I think of it.

Phanx 11-14-14 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeruku (Post 300374)
Also, where does the difficulty lie in this idea? Seems straight forward enough the more I think of it.

Keeping track of how much time each pet is active, keeping track of every mob you kill with each pet, coming up with formulas to figure out exactly how time and activity should cause loyalty and happiness to increase/decrease, adding the hundreds of food items in the game into the mix (which I guess you'd just destroy when "feeding" them to the pet, which seems like a waste of a perfectly vendor-able item), building a database of which pets eat which foods, calculating the value of each food for different pet levels, etc.

Nothing particularly difficult, just a huge amount of extremely tedious minutiae.

Fizzlemizz 11-14-14 12:50 AM

With no game mechanic to pin it to, no one will get it right for everyone's taste. It's a no win situation for any author that takes it on.

Phanx 11-14-14 02:49 AM

Even after all the up-front work of coming up with formulas, lists, etc. there's still the implied long-term commitment of having to keep everything up to date with changes in the game, and since something like this would be affected by API changes in so many different areas, there would be a lot of ways it could break.

jeruku 01-06-15 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had some time to play with it over the holidays. It is far from perfect and needs to be polished before it can be released.

What it does so far:
  • Keeps track of pet stable info.
  • Tracks active pet. Adds further info to stable info for said pet.
  • Happiness and loyalty. (To the best of my knowledge.)
  • Only things shown are the happiness/loyalty things. So no GUI for settings.

This is a Beta, probably Alpha, addon.

After I have worked on it more I may release it as an actual addon. This is just for anyone who might be interested in looking at a way it may be done.

It was quite the learning experience handling the pet and stable info.