WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   REQ: Timer under HoT Symbol in Party Buff Frame (esp. for Druids) for Archaeologist! (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8711)

Tazzor 02-23-07 01:26 PM

REQ: Timer under HoT Symbol in Party Buff Frame (esp. for Druids) for Archaeologist!

Hi!

I am looking for some very minimalistic Addon for a pretty long time now. Since I have absolutely no clue of how addons are coded/written, I wondered if someone could help me out here.

What exactly I am looking for:

A timer (similar to cooldowncount) that shows the remaining time of a HoT running, (even if it shows only the stuff i actually have cast by myself) but shown under the symbol in the party buff frame (maybe it could look like a buff timer, just displaying seconds), so i can see when i have to recast the HoT.

Doing this for druid HoTs would be so nice...

i tried several stuff before, such as hotcandy, but it's always so overloaded with square boxes, lots of text and stuff... i mean, seeing just a 4 (or a 7 or whatever) under the rejuvenation symbol is all i need to know!

Is there anything like that out there or at least someone who could write that?
Making it work with archaeologist would be just perfect...

Many Thanks,

Taz, playing several druids across DE Servers ;)

Galadrial 02-23-07 03:40 PM

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Chronotmeter but that again may be too big for your liking. But I dunno off hand Sorry..

Manaman 02-23-07 04:01 PM

Great Idea

I have been looking for the same thing to use with my warlock. I would like to see timers under the debuffs on the target frame. Same could go with the buffs on the party and pet frames. It could get the data from NECB or something. I would just rather see this info in the position the game intended, that is next to the frame it is related to. The problem with mods like NECB and Dotimer are that they create there own frame with the icon, when there is already a buff/debuff icon on the screen under the character frames. If anyone could make this work, and maybe something that is compatible with the buff/debuff frames of Unit frame mods, the OP and myself would be quite satisfied. Thanks in advance.

Itsnoteasy 02-23-07 05:56 PM

Funny you should say that...

Well, I'm working on something very similar at the moment.

Basically, what it does is it attaches three buttons to the party frames and the focus frame (also thinking about the target and tot frames). These three buttons cast Regrowth, Rejuvenation and Lifebloom on that unit. When you cast those spells (even if you don't use the button), it shows the number of seconds left on the HoT, so you know when to recast it.

It's still in the "playing around with" stage, and it only works with ag_Unitframes (ONLY because it looks for ag's frames and not, say, the default Blizzard ones). I wasn't sure there would be much interest in it...

As for putting the timer on or under the buffs themselves... I've thought about that, and I honestly can't see a good way of doing it. The main problem is that the buff icons are so small, and in some cases already have a number on them: the size of the stack. I personally think the best way to do this would be to have a separate frame that attaches to an arbitrary frame, and shows a selected list of buffs/debuffs, and how much longer until they expire.

The one advantage of hard-coding them at the moment is that I can actually recast them in combat (forget that if you want a dynamic list).

If you guys really, really want to have a look, I could possibly be persuaded to post it up as an alpha-quality AddOn...

Tazzor 02-23-07 08:37 PM

Well, actually i do not need or want any extra buttons or stuff like that on my screen.
there are thousands of players (i suggest) who just need the information when the buff/hot runs out, and that's all! if you're not playing resolutions higher than 1024, you are simply flooded by tons of boxes, flashing messages, chat spam and whatever which is absolutely useless (just as these buttons are, i guess). i know where my hots and buffs are located at the keyboard, i just need to know when to press the buttons, without having to give an extra 10% of my screen away to stuff i don't want to see or use at all.

i mean, if it's possible to create all that colorful stuff (buttons, boxes, messages, tooltips, running bars ant whatnot), i can hardly imagine that noone is able to creat some simple, ugly second-timers and attach them to those stupid common, ugly mini symbols on the left side of my screen.

Regards, Taz

Itsnoteasy 02-23-07 10:13 PM

I think the problem is that the unit frames control the layout of the buffs/debuffs, whilst working out how much time remains on them is usually done by a separate AddOn. In other words, in order for another AddOn to add the timers, you'd need to subvert the unit frame's layout code, which is something people obviously don't want to bother with :P

Another problem is that the buffs you see are, internally, nothing but icons. Which means that your Rejuvenation on someone isn't called "Rejuvenation", it's called "Interface\Icons\Spell_Nature_Rejuvenation" (and no, the icon names are not always unique or named after the spell in question -- Lifebloom shares an icon with [Fel Blossom], for example). Also, I haven't examined the code, but I have a nasty feeling that buffs/debuffs can shift around during combat.

To put it simply: adding three extra buttons was a darn sight easier :P

Incidentally, one of the reasons I chose ag_Unitframes was that I can actually change where the buffs/debuffs show up -- currently, I have my extra buttons showing up inside the buff area. Also, having separate buttons allows me to make them larger, which makes reading the time remaining on them a heck of a lot faster. I also plan on doing some wholly unnecessary stuff like having the buttons pulse red when they're about to expire and the target is still taking damage.

In any case, if you don't want extra stuff hogging space on your screen, just cast the HoT when the buff disappears :3

Anyway, sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. Hope you find something :)

P.S.: I'm a keyboard-jockey as well, but sometimes it's simply faster to zip the mouse over to a recently-expired buff and recast it directly. Plus, you don't even need to use the buttons with this setup.

Seerah 02-23-07 10:30 PM

I have a druid friend that would probably love that mod, Itsnoteasy. She's addicted to Benecast but hates the fact that it never gets updated in a timely fashion. :)