WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   nUI: Community Chat (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What better for you? (Fubar vs Titianbar) (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26315)

richwarf 08-10-09 08:13 AM

What better for you? (Fubar vs Titianbar)

Silly thing but it is a great question to ask you all :)

What do you use, Fubar or Titanbar?
(if there is a 3rd kind of bar then please vote other)

spiel2001 08-10-09 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richwarf (Post 152841)
Silly thing but it is a great question to ask you all :)

What do you use, Fubar or Titanbar?
(if there is a 3rd kind of bar then please vote other)

I could be mistaken here, but I heard a rumor somewhere the FuBar was going away as of patch 3.2 -- don't know if that's true or not.

That said, I don't use any bars, though I personally much prefer Titan over FuBar from back in the day that I was using bars.

Seer 08-10-09 08:33 AM

Have no real preference, using fubar mostly because I could find the plugins I "needed" faster then for Titan..

Used to have Fubar at the top for ages but moved the bar to the bottom, looks a bit less "cluttered" when the top console is hidden.

Also removed some unneeded (not that any plugin for the bar is really needed) stuff.. Only use online guildies, friends, new mail, time online and cash..

Petrah 08-10-09 10:20 AM

Using Fubar! Was a bit frightened when the update to Fubar came as late as it did (didn't work in 3.2 at first), but cknight updated for us finally. I love Fubar and hope it never goes away! It and plugins for it are more configurable than Titan Panel or any of its plugins. I tried it on patch day /shudder. Never again.

Sekrin 08-10-09 10:22 AM

Why be tied down to a single bar? DataBroker addons are the way forward!

spiel2001 08-10-09 10:28 AM

Speaking of data broker addons...

<!-- begin not so very subliminal message -->
I'm still waiting for someone who can code a libDataBroker plugin for nUI that ties those addons into nUI's upper console and lower dashboard.
<!-- end not so very subliminal message -->

:D

Petrah 08-10-09 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 152865)

I'm still waiting for someone who can code a libDataBroker plugin for nUI that ties those addons into nUI's upper console and lower dashboard.

Copy cat rofl /hugs

spiel2001 08-10-09 10:29 AM

I thought you would appreciate that

~grin~

Petrah 08-10-09 10:31 AM

I did.

Xrystal 08-10-09 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 152865)

What you asking for exactly Scott ? My Databroker addon just accesses the nUI slash commands.

Ah, do you mean you want the ldb to set the info on the top console area and an area in the bottom dashboard ? If so, I am not sure I have seen that part of the code. All the code I have utilises the ACE libraries for LDB.

spiel2001 08-10-09 11:03 AM

Yeah... basically, I've been hoping someone familiar with how the LDB system works could set up top and bottom bars for nUI that would allow LDB addons to display in nUI like they would on other bar addons without having to install the bar addons themselves.

Xrystal 08-10-09 11:31 AM

Well, I can have a look at how titan bar works but I suspect most of the functionality are in the ACE libraries which even I don't use in my addons if I can avoid it :D

Baraius 08-10-09 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 152883)
Yeah... basically, I've been hoping someone familiar with how the LDB system works could set up top and bottom bars for nUI that would allow LDB addons to display in nUI like they would on other bar addons without having to install the bar addons themselves.

Yes. Please. :-)

-Baraius

Baraius 08-10-09 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 152843)
I could be mistaken here, but I heard a rumor somewhere the FuBar was going away as of patch 3.2 -- don't know if that's true or not.

FuBar died sometime ago. :-) It is being kept on life support by volunteers. That being said, it will likely be kept alive for sometime because of the large number of people using it.

Most new addons are being written against the open LDB standard which allows for user choice in what sort of display they want, whether that is a bar, lego blocks, etc.

Fubar fans should look at DockingStation, Chocolate Bar, NinjaPanel, etc if they're looking for a work-alike.

The "dies in 3.2" is because of a change to the Rock library that Fubar uses (along with Cowtip, and some other other of ckknight's addons). I believe there was a fairly trivial patch to fix it, though, that is probably already out there.

-Baraius

Petrah 08-10-09 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001 (Post 152883)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal (Post 152893)
Well, I can have a look at how titan bar works but I suspect most of the functionality are in the ACE libraries which even I don't use in my addons if I can avoid it :D

Actually, what would really be cool is having it in an info panel. :D

Tristanian 08-10-09 03:57 PM

Having kinda "taken over" Titan, since November 2006 (unofficially) when Adsertor suddenly vanished into thin air (it was an obvious mistake to attempt to fix the addon at that point and even more publish those fixes heh), I'm probably biased, so I will make a most honest attempt to stay somewhat "neutral".

The way I see it, it's really pretty simple. FuBar was spawned because at that time, Titan was becoming stale and didn't do things developers wanted, it was highly inefficient in both terms of memory and CPU (especially CPU, you really should have seen my first profiling test, it was like 33ms of CPU/sec, the addon had 2 OnUpdates running code all the time that never really needed to run - among other things) and sadly its developers did not show any signs of caring to (at the very least) try to improve the quality of the addon. It took me about 2 months of "reading" the code, to simply understand parts of it (I had no idea what lua was before that) and about a year of constant updates, to bring it down to the level of performance I would personally consider as good and acceptable (but still long way from perfect). If I did not have a full time job plus other matters to attend to, I would have done a proper rewrite (though truth be told, the current version of the code is about 70% different than its incarnation back in the day). To be perfectly honest here, had I not implement LDB support back in the days of the LK beta, the addon would have probably died out (or close to it anyway).

FuBar gave people but moreso devs what they wanted. An Ace2 addon, that was way more lightweight, modular (with the support of FuBarPlugin-2.0 and later on LFP-3.0), had optional support for custom dropdown menus (DewDrop) and detachable tooltips (Tablet), had a whole different design that could be extended and a framework that was actively maintained. Ckknight really hit the jackpot with that one and is one of the people I have the utmost respect for. Until he switched the framework over to Rock (which wasn't at all bad actually and had some great potential) due to "politics" and finally abandoning super active development, when he signed on with Curse. That's when basically FuBar went on "life support" and remained alive to this day, because of the efforts of some really talented people out there.

LDB came about because FuBar, after (let's face it) becoming dominant in itself, never really satisfied what people wanted. What people wanted besides all the "revolutionary" things, design wise, was freedom of choice. You see, in essence, both Titan and FuBar made the mistake of trying to indirectly (and I'd say unwittingly) "force" a standard. Titan started this with its harddeped plugins and FuBar followed suit, but with a small difference. You could still use (some of) the plugins as minimap buttons, essentially creating the so-called "minimap herpes" effect.

But users really wanted to be able to use plugin X, in whatever display suited their needs. With LDB that transition to a new display can be done without rewriting every plugin out there. Hell, someone can even write something entirely new ("spec" wise) and still retain backwards compatibility, if he so wishes to.

But enough of history :p As far as I'm concerned, FuBar was and still is, a more "complete" addon, feature wise (yes, you are hearing this from the current dev/maintainer of Titan :p). Titan will always be however, my very first "love", the addon that simply worked for me without being overly complicated and did exactly what I wanted and nothing more. In the LDB bar addon "front", if I really had to choose something, I would probably choose among DockingStation, ChocolateBar or Ninjapanel, with DS probably being my number one choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiel2001
Heh, in all honesty Scott, if I had the time, I'd look into it. The most "difficult" part is really setting up the way most common specs (such as data sources and launchers) are handled in terms of attributes being properly recognized and registered, callbacks fired and setting up the appropriate script handlers for each plugin. If you decide at some point to give it a shot and I'm still around, give me a buzz. I'll be happy to give some pointers, even code, if I can afford it :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xrystal
Well, I can have a look at how titan bar works but I suspect most of the functionality are in the ACE libraries which even I don't use in my addons if I can avoid it
No, not really. Titan uses only a fragment of the Ace3 framework (remember Ace is not an acronym :p:p) for very specific tasks, such as easy to implement configuration menus, hooking without breaking stuff, timed updates/autohiding and of course easy localization. The actual bar frames and the button frames that represent the plugins have a specific template, which really makes it trivial to support implementations such as that of LibDataBroker. You can seriously code an LDB plugin by simply looking at other people's code, within minutes (whether it will work as intended is an entirely different discussion of course :p), for a display its more complicated because you have to take several things into consideration and first and foremost, decide exactly what you want to do with it and what kind of functionality and/or other existing addons, you want to support.

Petrah 08-10-09 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What I want in a "bar" is the ability (referring to the bars plugins so to speak) to turn off the text, place them left, center, or right side, the ability to hide it all together and put it in a buttonbag if I so choose, change the font and/or font size in the plugins dropdown menus, and the ability to "dress up" the bar should I so desire (opacity, thickness, height, width and texture). And of course, the most important of all... it must work with nUI. Fubar comes closest to that for me.

Xrystal 08-10-09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristanian (Post 152969)
No, not really. Titan uses only a fragment of the Ace3 framework (remember Ace is not an acronym :p:p) for very specific tasks, such as easy to implement configuration menus, hooking without breaking stuff, timed updates/autohiding and of course easy localization. The actual bar frames and the button frames that represent the plugins have a specific template, which really makes it trivial to support implementations such as that of LibDataBroker. You can seriously code an LDB plugin by simply looking at other people's code, within minutes (whether it will work as intended is an entirely different discussion of course :p), for a display its more complicated because you have to take several things into consideration and first and foremost, decide exactly what you want to do with it and what kind of functionality and/or other existing addons, you want to support.

Yeah, I suspected it wouldn't be an easy read. With the help of the DBM LDB addon I figured out the necessary code to make drop down menus for LDB menus. The question is how to make these type of bars a part of the nUI system.

lairdofdeath 08-11-09 10:06 AM

ok im kinda a noob to addons in general (only been useing them since jan as thats when i hit 80 with my first toon and didnt want to change game play from origanaltill then) but i havent come across anything that is in one of these bars that need to be up on screen all the time so wouldnt it be posable to implament one of them(or create one of our own useing the best parts from the others) into the info panel

Depresjon 08-17-09 04:39 AM

i! prefer titan on top of my screen