WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rythal!! Read this... (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44298)

Shaddoh 09-11-12 02:47 PM

Rythal!! Read this...

So, as you probably know, the original "author" updated Carbonite only to break it! So, here it is....

Dude, you have to make your own addon. Get a site, set up shop, and people will follow you. Set up a Pay Pal acct and have people donate (who can), I know I will. And believe me, most here will follow you. I DO NOT want to support someone that does NOT play WoW like the rest of us and who claims they only play to update this addon. As their "update" shows they don't play at all.

Please Rythal, for the love of Azeroth and for the Alliance and Horde alike, make your own version!

Shaddoh

P.S. If you build it, we will come!

Rythal 09-11-12 03:01 PM

It will come... some day... not sure when... but I will be doing it, if only I could figure out a name for it then I could get the ball rolling on forum/topics people can set to watch for the eventual progress.

Tho really don't like discussing it here in the carbonite forums for the same reason as I said Dugi was being rude posting his addon here, it's not carbonite related, and even if it's something that is nothing more then an idea floating in my head it's still an alternative product and disrepectful to the carbonite team talking about it in there forums.

NM just saw it got moved :P so it's ok now!!

nexusguard 09-11-12 03:04 PM

Woot

i agree and sent you a message as well ... its sad when devs shun the extra help til they can complete things ... you piss off one fan and then you **** on the person that helps you you piss off more then one person ... you really should look at yoru fan base for carbonite and retract what you said because i see in your near future your comment to rythal about dont mess with your property when he clearly stated he was bandaiding in his forum post and link to a bandaid til you guys could work out other kinks and didnt have to rush and your FANS (probably close to 5000 downloaders or more) could have something that would keep them going til you fixed it ... but no you screwed him over and now you screwed yourself ...

RYTHAL you will have my support on anything you do buddy ...

Shaddoh 09-11-12 03:06 PM

If you don't want to discuss it here, we should find a place to do so. Even if it's a thread on some forum, we need to point all of the dedicated users to the thread so we can start brain storming a name for you addon and just how to go about getting it started. I got your back man and I'd like to help any way I can.

Rythal 09-11-12 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaddoh (Post 263444)
If you don't want to discuss it here, we should find a place to do so. Even if it's a thread on some forum, we need to point all of the dedicated users to the thread so we can start brain storming a name for you addon and just how to go about getting it started. I got your back man and I'd like to help any way I can.

It's ok, the mods already moved the post to the proper forum.

Coasty 09-11-12 03:31 PM

Rythal, it's good to hear you say you'll be working on a Carbonite replacement in the near future.

I'm still using your fan update instead of 5.041 as, after testing, I found 5.041 had a whole slew of problems and LUA errors.

I'll be looking forward to your replacement for Carbonite as the developers attitude and shoddy 5.04 update (and frame rate hit that came with it) seriously pissed me off.

Pennet 09-11-12 03:40 PM

<cough>

I added Rythal's 50407 update to my zipped copy of 4.301, and uploaded it to a popular file sharing service, one that involves eyepatches and wenches and ARRGH! It is indexed and searchable now.

Rythal 09-11-12 03:41 PM

So... my first challenge, is coming up with a name for it.. I've never been good at names for anything I've ever written (first WoW project, but been writing stuff for many previous games, hell some is even here on MMOUI for EQ2 under a different name :P)

I know a lot of you said names mixing google or carbonite, but my goal with the new project is something completely modular.. you can pick or chose what you want to run... so in theory it would be [NAME] Maps, [NAME] Quest, [NAME] PVP etc..

After I figure out a name, the next step is figuring out which part is wanted the most.. (I'm fairly sure I know the answer but really it's up to you the users which part you want first and one can never be sure)

So let the fun begin!

Cairenn 09-11-12 03:44 PM

The fairly obvious name would be Rythal's, so it would be Rythal's Map, Rythal's Quest, etc.

And, let us know what we can do to help. If you want to allow multiple people to work on it with you (or even if you don't), you can look at using our SVN or Git version control, you should think about setting up your portal so you can give it it's own little home on the site, etc.

Quartz 09-11-12 03:48 PM

Darn- just posted in the old thread - missed the redirect here by 2 mins:(

Rythal, I'm so thrilled that you're working on a replacement. Dont knock yourself out, but I'm sure many people, myself included are looking forward to using your shiny new version.

Dont forget to add a big donate button - I'll be more than happy to oblige.
Youve made a lot of people happy:)

PS My vote would be the map first.

Rythal 09-11-12 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cairenn (Post 263462)
The fairly obvious name would be Rythal's, so it would be Rythal's Map, Rythal's Quest, etc.
And, let us know what we can do to help. If you want to allow multiple people to work on it with you, you can look at using our SVN or Git version control, set up your portal so you can give it it's own little home on the site, etc.

It could work... but to me it feels to egotistical to shove my name on it all :P tho I may just do part of it... RyMap ... RyQuest.. that might work.

Rythal 09-11-12 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quartz (Post 263463)
PS My vote would be the map first.

yeah something tells me that's 99.9% of the vote

Elizerain 09-11-12 03:53 PM

Thanks, Rythal! Let us know when ur project comes out. Again, thanks for everything u have done. We look forward to ur new projects...:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Darkshadow29 09-11-12 03:58 PM

I want to think you for all you have done, and offer any help I can give. I would love to donate some money to you Rythal for your work, and when I can I will, but right now me and my wife are in college (her for RN, me for IT). but if you set up a paypal donation link and let us know where it is, when we get some money we will through it your way. maybe it can help you out in your day to day life, and you can see that we do really want to thank you for your work.

Cairenn 09-11-12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rythal (Post 263464)
It could work... but to me it feels to egotistical to shove my name on it all :P tho I may just do part of it... RyMap ... RyQuest.. that might work.

*nod* I know what you mean. The only reason I suggested it is because it helps make sure it doesn't get confused with some other addon somewhere down the line. I do like your idea of Ry[whatever], it accomplishes the same thing. :)

Reddsonja 09-11-12 04:07 PM

Good Luck and thank you Rythal. If you do set up a portal to your project make sure to update this thread with a link. I'm looking forward to see what you come up with!

Sharparam 09-11-12 04:08 PM

@Rythal
If you're going to allow others to contribute to it. Please consider using GitHub :)

I just find that it's a lot easier to fork/submit patches/pull requests via GitHub (or other similar sites like BitBucket), so it would be awesome if that's where your project will be.

(With git it will also be trivial to push updates to both github and wowinterface, I do that all the time for my own projects)

dhjohn 09-11-12 04:15 PM

My vote is:
1) The map (with the minimap integration)
2) and if possible, the pvp maps.

I loved your carb fix, and I can't wait for your add-on. :D

Kathan 09-11-12 04:31 PM

RyMap, has a good ring to it. :)

I think the majority of the Carbonite userbase is now behind you after the debacle of an update that was put out by them.

mordaria 09-11-12 04:31 PM

My vote would also be for the map (with the ability to show herb and mining nodes from gatherer on it). Quest tracking is nice cause im lazy but the map is more useful to me than quest tracking at this point.