WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   MoP Beta archived threads (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Patch 5.3 PTR Note Regarding Nameplates (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46181)

Clamsoda 04-05-13 05:41 PM

Patch 5.3 PTR Note Regarding Nameplates

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/913...e-3_22_2013#ui

Quote:

When using name plates, castbars will now display for all NPCs.
I am wondering if this implies that Blizzard will be providing events more reliably to tell us when units are casting, or is this a bug fix for the castbar of NPC nameplates when targeted?

Haleth 04-05-13 06:14 PM

I believe they're referring to the fact that currently, the cast bar only shows up for the target, not for all units that are casting.

I wouldn't rely on any events being added for this considering nameplates are mostly handled C-side as it is and thus far we already need to use polling to find out when nameplates are created or their health bar colour changes.

Clamsoda 04-05-13 06:50 PM

Well, currently any AddOn that adds castbars to non-target nameplates has a lot of work to do, monitoring combat log events, caching units in several different ways, etc.

Hopefully this will be one step closer to removing the currently necessary bloat of nameplate AddOns.

Vlad 04-05-13 08:46 PM

I fear they will go the easy route and simply call the Show/Hide on the castbar and update it properly, all from the C-side, so nothing new regarding lua events or API I reckon, sadly. :(

zork 04-06-13 05:15 AM

Back in the old days of WoW this was already in place. But they removed it to only show the castbar on the current target. Good that they added it back in.

Clamsoda 04-06-13 02:16 PM

Oh, I wasn't aware of that Zork. Neat.

Hoping this is one step in the right direction for Nameplate AddOns :rolleyes:

Haleth 04-20-13 02:39 AM

So you can indeed see cast bars on all mobs now. You can also see the name of the spell they're casting, I believe this is turned on by default.

Nameplate cast bars have 2 extra regions now: the first is the spell name, the second is a kind of shadow texture under the name.

I can't see any events related to non-target cast bars; only a COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED event, like before.

Clamsoda 04-20-13 05:08 AM

That should provide a nice decrease in overhead for addons that provided a similar feature.

Good work Detective Haleth.

zork 04-25-13 09:08 AM

I would love that Blizzard finally adds unit GUIDs to their nameplates. This would remove so much work addon authors have to do to fiddle out which nameplate is which unit.

Spyro 05-16-13 10:00 PM

Does that apply to players too? So in Arena you will see the castbars of all Arena Enemies?

Rainrider 05-18-13 10:01 AM

Do you guys have an idea how to know if the unit is channeling. Up to now I just used UnitChannelInfo("target") as the castbar was only visible for the target. I use this to display remaining cast times on the castbar.

p3lim 05-18-13 10:44 AM

You can monitor the statusbar and see in which direction it fills. Should be accurate enough.

Vlad 05-18-13 11:17 AM

Since 5.3 is out next week, any changes from when the nameplate regions got changed, or still the same?

def9 05-18-13 11:54 AM

Tidy Plates beta has been getting updated for the 5.3 patch. Maybe a few things that are changing are in the authors notes.

Rainrider 05-22-13 05:04 PM

The new spell name text and the background for it are the last 2 child regions (in that order) of the castbar of the nameplate. The spell name text is a FontString object type and the background is a Texture (Interface/COMMON/NameShadow). Both of them are by default anchored to the castbar.

Coldkil 05-27-13 07:07 AM

So, if i get a handle on the castbar via frame:GetChildren(), i should be able to get to the 2 new regions via GetRegions().

Example:
Code:

cb.texture, cb.border, cb.shield, cb.icon, cb.shadow, cb.name = cb:GetRegions()
Am i right?

EDIT: my addon works correctly - i assume that not managing the two new regions will make the game automatically display the standard ones.

ape47 05-27-13 09:25 AM

umm...

Code:

local texture, overlay, shield, spellicon, spellname, shadow = castbar:GetRegions()

Dawn 05-27-13 09:26 AM

It's name > background not background > name. But yes, if you do not address them, "default settings" are used.

Code:

local cbtexture, cbborder, cbshield, cbicon, cbname, cbbackg = cb:GetRegions()
For instance, you'd want to manage those on a nameplate addon, to style (or get rid of) the castbar text.

ape47 05-27-13 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn (Post 278768)
It's name > background not background > name. But yes, if you do not address them, "default settings" are used.

Code:

local cbtexture, cbborder, cbshield, cbicon, cbname, cbbackg = cb:GetRegions()
For instance, you'd want to manage those on a nameplate addon, to style (or get rid of) the castbar text.

right, u know what i mean.

Coldkil 05-28-13 01:23 AM

Thanks, managed to style out the two new things.