View Single Post
09-07-08, 05:45 PM   #21
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mikord View Post
GetSpellInfo exists before addons are loaded. You don't need to wait for any events.

Tested the following and it prints Mortal Strike as expected:

TestGSI.toc
Code:
## Interface: 20400
TestGSI.lua
TestGSI.lua
Code:
 ChatFrame1:AddMessage(GetSpellInfo(12294))
You see that's VERY interesting in itself - because any attempt I make to write to ChatFrames directly in the .LUA (e.g. not in a function) or even on the VL event fails (no error - but nothing written into chatframes either) - if I do it in PL and PEW is works MOST (but not all) of the time.

I this a lot of the problems I'm having here relate to my PC - it's not amazingly quick (it's 2 years old and wasn't state-of-the-art then!!) - but things like this and the issues I raised with 'losing' macros etc. (in another thread) would be explained by my PC just being a bit slow...

Not a problem for you guys I'm guessing BUT you might want to bear-in-mind that some of our USERS may have simiarly slow PCs

Example

My NowCarrying addon wants to ignore all the initial BAG_UPDATE events that people are spammed with on login - so I put in a manual delay of 0.5 sec before it starts to check them.

Worked fine for me - (a test suggested I only needed to wait about 0.2sec but I added a bit anyway) but a few people said they were seeing the 'spam' caused by those events so I increased it to 1sec

Then I get WOTLK and I started to see the spam myself so I increased it to 2 secs!!

So far so good - no-one has reported the spam since that change - but it just shows that your addons can behave differently on slower PCs/newer builds of WoW in ways you don't expect

p.s. Mik - thanks for the Frame example code - I've nicked it wholesale

Last edited by kerrang : 09-07-08 at 05:48 PM.