View Single Post
10-22-08, 04:38 PM   #114
silentdave
A Defias Bandit

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Tbh, If i was contemplating this kind of a project at this moment in time, I would go with a fresh start, the time that you guys would save using/patching existing code would be lost figuring out the interdependencies of the that code.

Main pros of going with existing code:
Problem identification - mostly already done, you just need to get some of it working again.
Scope and Direction - this can be the hardest part of anything, ie where do you draw the finish line.
Existing template of how things need to be.

Main cons of existing code
figuring the interdependencies out.
identifying what needs updating.
updating the outdated sections such that they still work as intended.
constraints on existing code.

tbh, if you ask any mazzleui user what the single best feature was/is most of them would probably say the mazzifier - that one thing took all the hassle out of setting the ui up. It provided a well designed, ordered and intuitive approach to tweaking nearly every aspect of the ui. Imo its the mazzifier that set mazzleui above the rest.

the success of mazzleui wasn't just reliant on the effort put into getting the project done, it was heavily due to the ongoing support the project got from mazzle and various other devs, even after mazzle quit wow there was still alot of ongoing effort and time invested into the project, thats the real keystone to its success imo and thats what you guys need to be prepared for.

Given all of the above, imo, the best bet would be to design a brand new project from the ground up, otherwise you'll always have something hampering your efforts, afterall there are plenty of skins out there, most of the stuff that mazzleui did in its core can be done again by you guys anyway, spartanui is a good example of that.

the above is just how i'm seeing things based on the posts on here.

Last edited by silentdave : 10-22-08 at 04:42 PM.