View Single Post
11-18-08, 09:32 PM   #12
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post

Finally, as far as what I'd recommend for a beginning user: If you have at least say 40Gb of spare hard drive space on windows (more is better) or on a spare drive, I would recommend giving Wubi a try. It makes installing/removing Ubuntu as easy as any windows program an runs almost as well as a native installation. This also allows you to keep running windows for those times when you want it (it gives you the choice at boot between Ubuntu and Windows)

Edit: IF for some reason you want to go straight to a native installation STOP! Take some time, make a list of all those windows applications you cannot live without. There may be several that cannot run under WINE or don't run well. Post the list here and I'll help you either find open source alternates, or determine is they can run under WINE easily.
I'll give wubi a try, thanks.

As for what Windows programs I use.

1) Notepad
2) Firefox
3) WoW currently
4) Paint
5) Wowuides (haven't read to see if it works with other OS, but considering the number of 'Linux' users here on WoWI, I'd say it does).
6) ventrilo
7) 7-zip
8) Tortoise
9) McAfee

I play WoW, attempt to make addons (very new to it), and lol at youtube videos that guildies and friends link on my forums. I use forums to keep in touch with everyone near and afar (guildomatic would be ticked if they knew I use them as a long distance conference room).

That's what I use my computer for... gaming and keeping in touch with friends, relatives and work partners.