View Single Post
02-10-09, 02:23 PM   #2667
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
With that in mind, I'd like to hear suggestions for the best options for a full featured forum manager much like WoWI's forums that supports attachements to messages, etc, and one that you have really good control over the visual look and feel of. Features most important to me would be to have multiple topics, the ability to create sticky threads at the top of the topic and to lock threads. I would also like to be able to maintain public topics anyone can comment on as well as private topics for developers, admin, and nUI supports (member's only topic areas)
vBulletin is an exceptional piece of software, but unfortunately it's not free. It's very much worth the cash though, and I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend SMF as it's free, fairly easy to use (can do emergency security updates from within the forums admin panel), and they're right on top of security issues.

Being in the web hosting business for as long as I have, I would never, under any circumstances, recommend phpBB.