View Single Post
03-16-09, 10:16 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by aretziel View Post
ah, thank you ...

guess the most common format is .zip and .rar but the .tar and .7z is rather common as well.

but well =) thanks =)
.tar is only common among Unix based OSes such as GNU/Linux (on which distros such as Ubuntu is built on). However .tar is rarely used in the Windows/Mac world. The only time I ever see Tar files is when I am grabbing stuff off of KDE-Look.org. .7z in my IMHO is the best archive format, however again its usage is limited as support for it is NOT built into most of the popular file compression/unpacking utilities.

The two most wide spread (and about 95% of the downloads I see outside of executable files) are Zip and Rar. If you want the most widely used format, then pack your file as a .zip file. Support for Zip is baked directly into most OSes (even if the Windows zip support is not the best, its there and it's what most users will use). Rar will require users to download a utility that supports Rar (almost all third party Zip utilities have Rar support).

Regarding packing up your compliations, I should steal my old post from when I was an active poster over at ui.worldofwar.net.

Last edited by Zyonin : 03-16-09 at 10:20 AM.