View Single Post
03-22-09, 08:29 AM   #220
shdwphnx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Sichae View Post
1) Add-ons must be free of charge. Ties to 3#, potentially. Premium versions offer a smaller package for those that paid, leaving anyone not willing/able to pay having to install more addons, which may/may not affect performance. It is Blizzard's house and you are designing furniture. Your furniture makes the house look/feel better, yet Blizzard isn't receiving any money (outside of the 15$ that we all pay to play the game [I don't believe that Blizzard charges people to be able to make addons, though I may be wrong]) from your possible furniture sales, and they are all using up resources that Blizzard is supplying.
This is not really a good comparison. The resources used by most add-ons actually come from your computer, not from Blizzard. A better analogy would be to say that it's Blizzard's streets you drive your car on, and that they are trying to dictate what you can have inside your car. Certain restrictions make sense such as no overly loud horns (no add-ons that spam other players). They have no business telling me AM radios are fine, but I cannot have FM.

Originally Posted by Sichae View Post
8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit. Once again, it is their house. If they don't want to have a couch, they don't need to let a couch into the house.
True, Blizzard definitely has the right to disable add-on functionality. Again, it is not really their house though. Going back to my street analogy, Blizzard has the right to widen or narrow the roads, add stop lights, etcetera. However, that is not what they are doing with this policy. I personally feel this is more like them telling me that blue cars are forbidden, and only green ones are allowed.

Shdwphnx

Last edited by shdwphnx : 03-22-09 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.