View Single Post
03-22-09, 05:51 PM   #282
Jiminizer
A Murloc Raider

Hey, thought I'd post my $0.02

I haven't read all of this thread, just the first few pages (I'm tired!) so sorry if any of this has already been brought up.

I currently work on a project that revolves around an obfuscated addon. However, we're in a situation where it's obfuscated or nothing. The addon monitors certain in game stats and can then be uploaded to a website. If, however, the code were openly available, users could make it save the stats differently to look better and the addon would be useless. It's actually quite a popular addon that provides new functionality, and I'm sure its users would be sad to see it gone.

The same principle here applies to other addons too though - for example thottbot and others which record data and upload them much like our addon does. If these addons had to unobfuscate their code then users could upload false data and the sites would be wildly inaccurate. If Blizz enforces this, will these sites be a thing of the past?

Asking for donations should be allowed IMO - and I see nothing wrong with allowing a reward. We have an unlockable easter egg in our addon (not really premium content) which users can get if they donate to us, and we think this is a nice way of rewarding those who help us out.

All in all, I think these new rules might be useful in some circumstances, but they can also hinder legitimate addons that aren't trying to scam their users, and some real gems of addons could be put to death with these changes.

Hope I haven't bored you all,

Jim