Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
You can shove the topic too.

Careful Tek, Cair will probably attack any moment with a new emoticon

Edit: Damn, she beat me to it !

And to stay on topic :

Yeah, it it sucked.
Those were peaceful times. People were confident in their addons, they did not update them every second of every day, they knew where to get them, they knew where to whine when something was broken, in a reasonable manner. Part of me, misses those days. Sure, we did not have all these fancy new toys and repositories and AceX and whatnot, but we did fine. Thinks worked for the most part and everyone was happy. It was not until WAU and the later days of WoWAce that users became accustomed to being spoon-fed and turn into mindless "need to update" junkies. I still remember the time where WoWAce was just a repository with a couple of forums (used to be in the same guild as Rabbit at the time) and no files hosted anywhere.

Unfortunately it seems like WowI and Curse are more interested in preventing WowM from working rather than making their stuff better. What will they do next, a rootkit like Sony?
If they were forced to indirectly cover expenses caused as a result of the bandwidth leeching, then they did the right thing. It is very much within their rights to block whatever their perceive is interfering with their service in a disrespectful (not to mention costly) manner. Again, part of me wishes that Curse and WoWI actually did NOT enforce a simple block at this time, but taking it one step further and shutting down the websites entirely, in protest, for a couple of days, on this very patch day, just to provide an answer to the people claiming that "WM doesn't need these sites". Now THAT would be inconsiderate to the user base, indeed.

So, what will probably happen is WowM will find a way around the problem, then WowI/Curse will have to block that, then WowM will find a way around it...etc.
It is my understanding that even if they find a workaround, the sites can just break it again forcing them to conceive another workaround. I'll leave it at that.

As for deep linking, it is legal. Just ask Ticketmaster. They found out the hard way.
If it wasn't legal my friends and they were actually hosting stuff, other than scrapping links, a simple DMCA takedown notice would do the trick. They knew about this, so they did not even attempt it. It was the only way for them to turn their application into a viable "business", without actually having to bear the cost.