View Single Post
04-24-09, 12:19 PM   #823
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post
And a lot of the time, if not most of the time, the advice given by the tech-savvy to the non-tech-savvy is "Keep your stuff updated." Adding caveats and situationals is not helpful. The non-tech-savvy just want their things to work. They don't wish to deal with something broken, so at least they practice what is considered by many to be good preventative maintenance ... by updating whenever a given update is available.
Updates are generally good one the updates to the software brings vital bug fixes , improvements and enchancements. That's a given.

But here's the thing here Rhaethe.

We aren't talking here of Outlook or Word or any video drivers or anything.

We're talking about addons that if there is something wrong with them it usually doesn't have any adverse effects on your gameplay. It may give you a big red error. It may not work correctly. It may even bug out by spamming guild chat. Nothing that has any lasting harm on any of your characters (not that I've heard of).

You work in Tech support correct ? People usually only come to you when somethings wrong right ? So before you even find out what the problem is you know something is wrong.

My point was that if absolutely nothing is wrong with your UI you should not need to update.

User downloads an addon to move their tooltip onto their mouse. After a patch they login with that addon enabled (and the L.O.D.A. option). It still works for them. It does everything they want it to do and lives in around 4k of memory.

Through out subsequent patchs it still works , just needs a TOC bump after a little bit of user testing. And it still works fine. BTW the addon is one I'm current;y using right now. Tool tip on mouse. Hasn't received a major author update since sometime in 2006.

So yes If the addon is broken in some ways a very important diagnostic step is Updating that addon. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you *must* update every day. Don't fix what ain't broken
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)