View Single Post
04-24-09, 02:11 PM   #829
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by gelukelu View Post
Curse and WoWI have all the rights to shut down WowMatrix access to their website. I just got extremely pissed off by the "official" arguments they come up with: to help end-users and protect the authors, stop the bandwith theft, etc. We all know why they did it, we don't need to be insulted and treated as retards.
We all know and understand it's about the money. The bandwidth theft (or "unauthorized use" if you don't want to call it theft) was something the sites could not handle monetarily. No one here is denying that it's about ad money. People are just trying to make it out like they're just out to make their profit margins bigger, which isn't the case.

And if you do read this thread, you'll find that the authors are behind WoWI on this. We've been trying to get our stuff taken off WM just as WoWI has. The ones (one?) that want their stuff on WM have already taken the steps needed with WM. The simple fact of the matter is that WM just took it upon themselves to add content, instead of seeking permission. I'd bet you a year of WoW that if, way back in the beginning, they had come to the sites and advertised their product and ASKED the authors to submit their addons for distribution through it, many authors would have given them their addons. Same goes for the sites, had they come to WoWI and Curse and asked for permission to redistribute, both sites would have worked with authors, likely via a simple "publish my addon to WoWMatrix" checkbox on submission. The point being, WM never did seek permission, and they still don't. They just leech addons from any source they can find and hope that the owners of those sites don't notice.