View Single Post
06-01-09, 03:31 PM   #1386
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by silentdabeast View Post
How do you know? Where you there? Did you hear or read the convo's that went back and forth between WoWi/Curse and WM?

No, you did not. you are taking their word for it, because that's all you CAN do.

You sit here and you presuppose that WowI and Curse are the "nice guys" and WM is the "bad guy", and from that presupposition you conjure up all this nonsense.
I know many people in the community personally, and I've been here through this entire ordeal. I was there when they tried to contact WM. I was there when no reply was received (and I'm still here). I myself have contacted WM asking them to remove my addons and never ever got a reply. There is no "taking their word" going on here, I know exactly how WM has acted through this whole thing, and I know who have been "nice guys" to me and who have not.

But then, you can only take my word on that now can't you?

Originally Posted by silentdabeast View Post
The PRIMARY purpose for WM was to provide an alternate, easy, reliable, and user-friendly way for the ENDUSERS (not authors) to keep their addons updated. They exist for a completely different reason!

Look, fine, if WowI and Curse want to offer all this great stuff for the author, WONDERFUL! These sites have made it clear that they are here for the authors' needs.
WM's primary purpose is to make money, by providing everything you pointed out there, and minimizes expenses by using other site's bandwidth (they still do by the way, just not Curse or WoWI's, but they're busy touting their new hosting to draw attention away from that). WoWI and Curse's primary goals are to make money as well, of course, they are businesses. But they've been paying their own way this entire time, and don't take content they do not have permission to. Ace (now part of curse) had an updater of WM's caliber before WM existed... it was discontinued because it was costing too much in bandwidth bills to sustain. They've been working to provide similar functionality without killing driving themselves into bankruptcy ever since.

Last edited by Tekkub : 06-01-09 at 03:35 PM.