View Single Post
06-21-09, 02:35 AM   #30
Imakefood
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
I'm a guild leader of two very loosely organized social/leveling guilds. I like to be as nice as possible to all my guildies by doing the standard stuff: free ports, free runs, etc. I'm also pretty careful with what I do and don't let fly in guild chat as I'm fully aware that kids play the game, and while I may not ask them to identify themselves as minors or adults, I don't think it's bad to assume that kids are present. (I think that's especially true for my Alliance guild since we all know Alliance are a bunch of 12 year olds. I jest.)

Today, one of my guildies informed me it was his birthday, so I sent him a bunch of stuff (a couple pieces of new gear and some glyphs). It was purchased with in-game gold and sent through the in-game mail. About two hours later, I get a whisper from his character claiming to be his parents all about how I shouldn't be using WoW to prowl for 9 year old boys and using game loot to lure them into a predatory trap. As the speech patterns, message post rate, punctuation, and grammar were very different from that which is typical to the player, I'm guessing this wasn't him just being weird. Needless to say, the character got removed from the guild, and I'm on his ignore list.

I'm sad! I haven't behaved any differently to him than I would any other guildy, and I was just being nice... Is it really that creepy for me to send stuff to someone on in-game mail for their birthday? Do I need to start asking people's ages? What's the proper etiquette here?
He's the one that told you it was his birthday...
just bein friendly,GOSH! they're the ones thinkin all wrong