View Single Post
07-01-09, 10:38 AM   #49
nonameform
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AFAIK, addon authors can't ask for donations inside WoW. They still can do so on addon site/page and even Minion had "Donate" button, so I don't really see why people get pissed off because of that change to the policy.

When I started playing WoW, I knew that addons existed, but I was more interested in the game then in UI tweaking. At about lvl 30 on my first char I've already downloaded some addons such as Auctioneer, Gatherer and QuestHelper. At about lvl 60 I had installed Omen and many other addons that greatly enhanced the UI or added some functions that weren't in the default interface.

If I had to start with many of those addons from day one, I would probably quit game pretty fast because it would be to complex. Now that I'm familiar with most things WoW default interface can offer, I replace most of it with addons.

I was pretty excited when Equipment Manager was announced as I've never tried any addons of that type before. After using it for a week or two, I disabled it and got the proper equipment addon, which is more intuitive and less crappy (sorry, but the default one is really bad in my opinion).

Now that there is a built in threat meter in the game, people might learn about threat before they hit 80, go into heroics and start dying on every pull because of overaggroing (at least I hope some of the curious new players will enable that function in the menu). When I got to lvl 70 on my first char and some of the folks in the guild already started raiding Karazhan, I saw guild leader saying stuff that everyone should get Omen. Believe it or not, hardly half of the raid knew a thing about threat when doing their first raid.

Also I have installed older WoW versions (vanilla WoW to be precise) and I must say I like how the minimap has changed since then. I didn't bother to play for long, but the basic WoW interface you have now is still much better than it used to be back when WoW was still a new game.

Yes, I would love to see some more changes made to the default interface, because if I have to use less addons, it will free some memory for the actual game. I totally love DoubleWide addon, but if Blizzard makes new quest log look very similar to it, I will stop using the addon.

Fishing needs some tweaking too in my opinion. Since I've started using Fishing Buddy, I can't fish using default WoW button as it just too tedious. Implementing double right-click casting would make this profession a little bit more enjoyable for the majority of players in my opinion.