Thread: Hacker Alert
View Single Post
07-16-09, 07:55 PM   #42
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
Actually, locking your door would be preventative maintenance, so to that end, all of my tips would be locking the door. AV software and the like would be like keeping an alarm on the door and a loaded weapon of some kind next to your pillow. Those are both far more effective after you haven't locked your door, no? Not following my tips makes the alarm and weapon so much more necessary, where as having the appropriate locks on the door make the weapon and the alarm entirely unnecessary.

See what I did there? Thanks for handing me all the tools for an adequate analogy. ...is one of the many things I find on the computers of people who should have been paying better attention to their computers, expected software to do it for them, and still managed to mess it all up.

Again, I'm not knocking software. I'm just saying that paying attention to things yourself and remembering that software won't do everything for you really is the more efficient way to go. I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive, but if they must, pay attention to your stuff and get rid of the software.
Using security software is the same as stores having guards/tags to spot/get possible thieves, you want to let everyone into your store but some of them might not be there to help you in any way. Even if you really monitored all your visitors to the store and only let in those who you really trusted, there would still be a slight chance they could steal something. This is not saying you should have two guards with a loaded gun pointed at the customer and only one at a time in the store.

The same guards doesn't always pick up all the thieves, but if they do it's still for the better for your store.